Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Some more photos from the Great Eastern in the 1970s for today.  Once again we are at Church Lane Crossing, just north of Ingatestone on the way to Chelmsford.

attachicon.gifChurch Lane level crossing Class 309 601 Clacton and Walton to Liverpool St Dec 75 C2536.jpg

Church Lane level crossing Class 309 601 Clacton and Walton to Liverpool St Dec 75 C2536

David

Nice to see a 309 in the two car form

A

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Some awesome photos... as always.

I think you have a typo on C5697 as it looks more like 40055... no headcode box.

Cheers

Lee

Yes,

Thanks for pointing that out

There are days when I can neither read notes nor type accurately - I blame the fact that I have to visit the dentist again tomorrow.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's of North Wales. Great scenery, and it is good how you have managed to include a  detailed shot of the box at Llanrwst. It would make a great model.

With best regards,

Rob.

In Sep 1967, 1A23 was the up Flying Scotsman.

In Dec 1966, 1A22 was the 1100 KX to Newcastle.

In Oct 1967, 1A33 was the 1500 Newcastle to KX.

I think D9000 is on 1A06, which in Apr 1968 was the 0755 KX to Newcastle.

I would have loved to have seen this train at the time, because even after over 6 years D9000 had eluded me so far. I eventually did see it on 6th June that year.

Although 1A33 is the 15:00 Newc-KX, the formation doesn't match the carriage working, so it is therefore 1A33 the 11:30SuO Newcastle-KX which does match. Note the BG 5th coach.

• RMweb Gold

Although 1A33 is the 15:00 Newc-KX, the formation doesn't match the carriage working, so it is therefore 1A33 the 11:30SuO Newcastle-KX which does match. Note the BG 5th coach.

Many thanks Mark.

I'm sure you are right about the train identification, but I can only remember Dad  going to Pilmoor on a Sunday once or twice.   Looking at the light direction and shadows (such as they are) the train time would fit.

So that leaves me with a mystery as Dad's work meant he was very rarely free on a Sunday around the middle of the day in the mid to late 60s.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

There will be two sets of photos today, I'll start with a few I took yesterday at Damdykes crossing, north of Newcastle on the ECML.  I was there for about forty minutes from 11 am.

post-5613-0-94505800-1449677876_thumb.jpg

ASC_1610 Damdykes 91118 down Kings X to Edinburgh 8th Dec 15 

post-5613-0-77371100-1449677834_thumb.jpg

ASC_1613 Damdykes 66735 down Tyne S S to Mossend down yard 8th Dec 15

post-5613-0-60436900-1449677841_thumb.jpg

ASC_1616 Damdykes 66552 down York Yard South to Potland Burn 8th Dec 15

post-5613-0-24559700-1449677850_thumb.jpg

ASC_1621 Damdykes 142071 Newcastle to Morpeth 8th Dec 15

post-5613-0-42386800-1449677858_thumb.jpg

ASC_1623 Damdykes 43296 Edinburgh to Kings X up 8th Dec 15

post-5613-0-26568200-1449677865_thumb.jpg

ASC_1625 Damdykes Class 221 up Glasgow Central toPenzance 8th Dec 15

post-5613-0-99537500-1449677870_thumb.jpg

ASC_1628 Damdykes Class 221 down Bath Spa to Glasgow Central 8th Dec 15

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some fine photo's of the ECML at Damdykes from yesterday. A good cross section of trains that can be expected to be seen. All change for Northern next February. I wonder what livery the 142 will be in this time next year?

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's of the WCML. In particular those of the class 310's are very good. They show what stylish units they were.

With best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

Nice photos as always Dave. Trowell 20088 & ano down light engines April 75 J4214 is doubly interesting for, not only the 20's, but looking at the nearest track, which doesn't look as though it's been used in a while, it appears to be Bullhead rail & chairs on concrete sleepers. Not a common combination.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A really great set of photo's of the Erewash Valley line tonight. I also like the one of the two class 20's with 20088 leading. A good view of them, and bullhead rail on concrete sleepers was used in few places on lesser used lines.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

That second photo of 20088 looks like it and it's partner are actually on a coal working, not a ballast. They are pulling some vac fitted hoppers (HTV?).

It also looks like the other 20 is in green livery.

It could be coal but on the original slide the mineral in the wagons was a bit pale for coal but it may just have been colour fading on the film.  I've altered the caption.

The second 20 is in green.  I think it was quite a late date for green locos.

David

Edited by DaveF

There is something about a class 47 in blue they look powerful and capable but a friend of mine said that in winter he always drove one with a dustbin liner bag around his legs as the draughts were terrible he became a signal man and enjoyed the warmth of the boxes he worked in!

There is something about a class 47 in blue they look powerful and capable but a friend of mine said that in winter he always drove one with a dustbin liner bag around his legs as the draughts were terrible he became a signal man and enjoyed the warmth of the boxes he worked in!

How very true. I've spent a couple of runs alternating with the driver, each of us taking half hour stints in the seat whilst the other stood as close as they could to the cab heater that was producing the most heat. DMU's where no better and in the end I carried my own roll of masking tape nicked from the fitters to try and tape up the holes. Class 37's & 40's had problems with draughts from the cab droplights, that's why a lot of locos had a semi permanent supply of newspapers, or anything else, to try and stuff around the window to try and stop the draughts. 60's also had the same problem, but on the drivers side, only because of the way the sliding window was designed and operated.

Paul J.

It could be coal but on the original slide the mineral in the wagons was a bit pale for coal but it may just have been colour fading on the film.  I've altered the caption.

The second 20 is in green.  I think it was quite a late date for green locos.

David

There were still quite a few green 20s in 1977; and 20141 survived in that livery until mid-1980 IIRC.