Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Norton Bridge and Standon Bridge this evening with various blue electrics in the later 1970s.

I remember taking the June 1976 photos, that was quite early in the long hot summer, the temperatures had already reached the high 80s.

attachicon.gifg Norton Bridge Class 86 down ex pass May 76_J5247.jpg

Norton Bridge Class 86 down ex pass May 76 J5247

A very minor correction.  The train is on the Up Fast line.

• RMweb Gold

As usual great old photos dave,thanks for sharing

Just out of intrest,roughly how many is in your collection?... Must be hundreds if not a thousands?!!!

Cheers

Ben

I believe Dave said there are several thousand.

With regards,

Rob.

Slide scans: Over 25,000 of mine plus over 15,000 of Dad's both up to mid 2003, 

plus all the digital ones I've taken since 2003 and Dad's from 2003 to 2005.

So far this thread contains about 3,800 images, the European thread (which will resume in due course has around 1100 and the earlier black and white photo thread had over 1500 images.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ah, old DMUs with their 'headlights' on.....

Dave Franks.

Yes, the 101 in C6711.

You can actually see the light bulbs and they are not even bright enough to light up the insides of the marker lights - let alone letting any meaningful lux actually escape the train!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,Dave.I like the Middlesbrough photo's. There was such a lot to see,but I think rationalisation has, inevitably reduced the lines and signalling greatly.

And the DMU marker lights were always very faint, not like on those Bachmann models!

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Actually the only line missing today is the line into the docks in C7816 where some TTA tanks can be seen.

The area looks worse now than it did back then enen though millions have been spent on it

Excellent photographs again Dave, bring back a lot of memories

Edited by russ p

The bright red 08 was operated by A V Dawson ( http://www.av-dawson.com/)who have a large freight terminal on the river side of Middlesborough Goods.

Indeed, earlier this year Dawsons took over management of Middlesbrough Goods. There are a number of other users but Dawson's current major interest is receiving coil steel from Tata in South Wales to store in a £6 million environmentally controlled warehouse for onward supply by road, principally, to Nissan at Washington (also some flow to Nissan suppliers in the locality, and some steel products to Caterpillar). Taking over the yard management will, I am told, enable Dawsons to reconfigure to improve the handling of inbound trains - shunting will still be required as the site constrictions mean even the new warehouse can only take around 18 of a 24 wagon train at a time (figures from memory but they are about right).

I visited earlier this year - they had the carcases of a couple of 08s, being stripped for spares - especially wheelsets, I believe. They also have a plinthed RSH diesel shunter from, I think, the early 50s, which is a heritage item in its own right.

Dawsons are an interesting multimodal operation - they have their own, rail accessible, wharfage on the Tees, and are being quite creative in finding additional traffics to make the most of the freight train paths available (eg coke oven byproducts from Tata in Wales, in demountable tanks, to be used in the Teesside chemical industry). They also have some involvement, depending on market conditions, with the North Yorkshire potash mining industry. Their estate supports a number of North Sea offshore providers, and some of that traffic does, or at least could, come by rail.

Usual disclaimer - no link with the company, except I visited them in my role as jounalist to do a write-up.

Their site is more or less the original Stockton & Darlington wharfage (which was, confusingly, called Port Darlington, to the indignation of the Stockton contingent, and of course before Middlesbrough itself really existed).

Love the shots at Shildon in 1975 which bring back some of my earliest railway memories - I was brought up in Spennymoor, about 10 minutes up the road and was 10 yrs old at the time of the cavalcade - I went for a couple of days atleast, if I recall correctly. It was fantastic event. I also remember going to Bank Top Darlington as engines arrived a few days before if I recall correctly - before I collected numbers but 5690 Leander, amongst others, definitely rings a bell from that day - it was parked in the loop alongside platform 1. A few years later from 1979-1981 I would spend many more happy hours at Darlington Bank Top, in particular chasing the final years of the Deltics.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the photo's of Shildon, they bring back back many happy memories. I also remember the NRM in York opening the following month. The SR of BR photo's are good. I know what you mean about the blue livery that BR adopted, but it is something which we had to live with at the time. In J0981, your Father has caught a spark perfectly in that photo', something that I do recall seeing in a photo' before.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

C2736 - is a Class 414 2Hap, as in the previous shot.

Always interested to see the results of your forays south of the Thames, many thanks...

Thanks for the correction, yet another of my typing mistakes.

David

• RMweb Premium

I'd be interested to know how the sleeper coaches were worked (C9523). That looks like a north facing bay, so presumably the coaches were detached and shunted there. Is 47654 the loco that worked from Kings Cross and another came on to take the rest of the train north? Or did 47654 come from GD to shunt the stock left behind in the through platform? I don't think there was still a separate KX - Newcastle sleeper as late as 1988.

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested to know how the sleeper coaches were worked (C9523). That looks like a north facing bay, so presumably the coaches were detached and shunted there. Is 47654 the loco that worked from Kings Cross and another came on to take the rest of the train north? Or did 47654 come from GD to shunt the stock left behind in the through platform? I don't think there was still a separate KX - Newcastle sleeper as late as 1988.

I should know having been on the train but I don't - I usually managed to sleep quite well.

David