Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Keefer,

I think Akeman Stret is a typo for Arkwright Street.

I'm sorry but the link in your post doesn't work for me.

The disused stations link is:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/arkwright_street/index.shtml

Nottingham Vic is indeed just of the top of the map, if you scroll it up Victoria station was between Mansfield Road and Huntingdon Street/Glasshouse Street.

The junction is indeed Weekday Cross 

Thanks for that Dave, I've now corrected my original post

The GC was my local mainline and we had some interesting locos through Aylesbury and sadly they were in a right old state at the end ,one service in the morning to Victoria was a dmu and this gave a good view of a decaying route.Most locos were Royal Scots and Black fives the former often broke down miles from anywhere leaving a crew member a long walk to raise help sadly the most reliable units were the dmu,s  most of our stations were run down dirty and Marylebone a dying place and then a long came Network Southeast but northwards was derelict thanks to the good doctor but for quite a long time the shed at Aylesbury was quite busy standard class four tanks some times a Fairburn ,western locos (foriegners!) the local model rilway club at P/Risboro are building a model of the station in this time period so you will be able to see what we were once like.Thanks for the pics did you get down to the south at all ie Brackley Quainton?

The Scots were indeed bad, see

http://www.annesleyfireman.com/

for an insight. The LMR sent various locos onto the GC, a batch of (poor) Brits was allocated. The Annesley fitters fettled them up and the LMR promptly transferred them away :devil:

When the LMR first got their hands on Annesley one of the first actions was to condemn most of the ex LNER locos on the books. According to Yeadon one of the O1s they condemned was only a couple of weeks after a General Repair :O

Edited by great central

• RMweb Gold

Any pictures of your father's East Leake layout which you can share David?

Sadly no, Peter.  In fact I have very few photos of his layouts until he was getting too old to go out taking photos very often.

From what I remember the platforms were about scale length, there was a 3' or so radius curve at the "south" end to get to the hidden loops, at the north end the goods yard was shortened a bit and then again a 3' radius curve to the hidden loops.  The buildings were to scale - I remember helping Dad measure them one weekend.  They were built with the usual card layers to provide relief for the brick panels and then covered with Merco brick papers (that was all there was then).  The stairs up from the road underbridge were modelled, he had a sheet of white glazed brick paper he used for that - in fact I still have the remains of the sheet and have scanned it for when I need glazed bricks.  The landscape was dyed and painted hessian and the fences from matchsticks and balsa wood.

As I mentioned he scratch built bodies to fit on an available chassis - I think there were two 4-6-0s, one outside cylindered (an Immingham?) and one inside cylindered (Glenalmond I think), an A5, one or more J11s (on a Triang 0-6-0 chhassis).  He also built a V2 but I'm not sure about the chassis he used.

Of course all this was before the days of even cast kits, just about the only kits were the Jamieson ones.

This was in the days of Wrenn and Welkut fibre sleepered track and points, steam roller alloy wheels on many locos etc.  Hornby Dublo was still 3 rail only then, so he couldn't use any of their locos.

Coaches were modified Triang, Ratio and CCW kits (wooden) - I still have some of them.    Wagons were any available, re wheeled to convert HD ones to 2 rail.

He used home made couplings which looked rather like the current tension lock type, but made out of wire.

I do have a couple of photos of his previous layout in his shed.  The child in one photo is me.  

The loco in the first photo is Stewart Reidpath (Essar) which I still have, though somewhat modified.  The pannier in the platform was Gaiety.

In the second photo are a GSWR Baltic tank, a GNR American mogul and a CR 4-6-2T.  All are long gone - as he used proprietary chassis they were built to fit the chassis while retaining the look of the prototype.  Also a Hamblings "Gnat" which I still have.

Some people may be able to work out which stations were used as inspiration for the layout.

post-5613-0-38374900-1445773239_thumb.jpg

post-5613-0-94407000-1445773243_thumb.jpg

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18

Hi, Dave. A lovely collection of photo's of the G C Railway. Nice to see the preserved N2. I wish it could be steamed once more.

With best regards,

Rob.

Rob, the N2 is currently in working order and visiting the Nene Valley (we travelled behind it on the North Norfolk last year), and as this picture taken 18 October shows, it's currently in GNR livery, which looks good:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanhughes/22219704889/

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Article about Arkwright St. at disused-stations:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/arkwright_street/index.shtml

In the map shown in the article, I take it that Nottingham Vic is just off the top of the map and the junction between there and Arkwright St. is Weekday Cross?

(Not a GC expert but I find that area fascinating)

EDIT: Following Dave's kind post below, I've corrected both the station name and web link - can only plead temporary brain fade!

There's a good farcebook page on the railways of Nottingham. I've learned loads about the GC from that and there are heaps of great pictures of the area.

P

• RMweb Gold

Rob, the N2 is currently in working order and visiting the Nene Valley (we travelled behind it on the North Norfolk last year), and as this picture taken 18 October shows, it's currently in GNR livery, which looks good:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanhughes/22219704889/

Adam

Thank you. I could have sworn that it was not currently steamable. I can't think where I got that idea from! Thanks for the photo'. It makes a most glorious sight.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Always good to see quality photo's of the Woodhead line, which these are. I particularly like the first one at Hazlehead Bridge, with 26047 Diomedes, in August, 1967.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting shot of 26047 with a Porthole Brake leading and a Southern green third coach. Is that one of the Bulleids transferred north in exchange for the Mk1s used in the Bournmouth EMU conversions?

Looking at the photo I think the green coach is a BR mk1 composite, it would have been a steam heat one swapped for a dual heat one.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the photo I think the green coach is a BR mk1 composite, it would have been a steam heat one swapped for a dual heat one.

Somewhere on the Wodhead thread the coach number is mentioned, Nunnery just had the one I believe, always the same one I travelled in anyway.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Lovely photos of HST's at Reading and Swindon from 1978. Some paint is coming off the power car in the first photo', and improvements in the paint, washing and the fitting of deflectors would all help to solve things like that.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

All rather nostalgic Dave - the old Reading station and absolutely nothing of the station and track shown in your first photo still exists, the whole lot has been swept away.  And as ever nice to see a view of my old office window in that big red brick building at Swindon above 253004 although regrettably when we moved in because I needed more office space for my team than the other part of TLF my office was on the other side with just one of those windows in the end on the far corner but at least I could actually see the railway, just about - only had a couple of years there alas.