Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi Dave,

All your (and your dad's) photos are wonderful, but those taken in the late 1960s and featuring AC electrics are just beyond compare.   :sungum:   J1818 (already commented upon above) includes a Fruit D a part of the partially fitted freight.   Presumably with the rather dodgy riding quality of those sand hoppers, it was quite severely limited in speed?    I reckon that J0832 (the AM4/AM10 combination) must be near unique. 

Thanks again,

Bill

The sand hoppers were 35 mph maximum; I remember seeing them on services from Oakamoor to the St Helens area. The Redhill hoppers generally had a Vanfit between them and the brake van, as sand would otherwise be blown into the guard's face; it's absent in this photo.

• RMweb Premium

IIRC the 304s were most similar technically to 310s. I've got an old BR instruction booklet somewhere about the brakes/electricals etc and it refers to both classes.

Seems odd esp as how different they are structurally ie Mk 1 v Mk 2

• RMweb Gold

I reckon that J0832 (the AM4/AM10 combination) must be near unique. 

The 304/310 combo happened often enough to cause problems and the 310s to be de-rated to the same maximum speed as the 304s having originally being 10mph faster. (Bouncy Castle at 85mph anyone?)

The unusual thing is that the 304s were not so common souith of Rugby, as Euston - Northampton - Rugby - Birmingham services were all booked for 310s IIRC.

304s tended to be on the Liverpool and Manchester areas, Trent Valley locals, Stafford - Wolverhampton - Birmingham - Coventry - Rugby locals and the Walsall - Birmingham Circular Tour..

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Missed my daily fix on this thread as have been away for a fortnight

You have crept more cracking shots in in my absence!

On a point of order - J1818 - E3043 it aint, that's an 84 - E3063 perhaps?

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Missed my daily fix on this thread as have been away for a fortnight

You have crept more cracking shots in in my absence!

On a point of order - J1818 - E3043 it aint, that's an 84 - E3063 perhaps?

Kind regards

Phil

Thanks

I'll go with E3063.

Edit   I've just had another look at Dad's notes, he has it as E3063 so it's my bad typing again.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks - I never thought to check.

I've no idea which one it is as I can't read the number.

David

It's a 304/2 in the range 016 - 045 - the wider bodyside windows being the tell tale. Looks like it's an empty stock move from the headcode.

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

Great photographs, any ideas what the "goalposts" (for the want of a better description) are in the last two photographs.

Jim

I think it may be to with the power lines crossing the railway - perhaps they are permanent structure for putting protective nets/cables between when they are working on or replacing the power lines.

David

I think it may be to with the power lines crossing the railway - perhaps they are permanent structure for putting protective nets/cables between when they are working on or replacing the power lines.

David

We used to do it for lineside pole routes too. A power cradle i think it's called.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Ashington and Woodhorn. Those 'goalposts' do look very much like 'power cradles' to me as well - for they have been used across my local area just recently when some overhead high voltage power lines were being renewed.

With best regards,

Rob.

When you go to Woodhorn now it looks so tidy compared to the working colliery days but it is a most informative place to go to I especially enjoyed seeing all the banners preserved there and the coal cart you can have a go at pushing makes you realise how hard coal mining was.Thanks for the photos any more LT&S pics please?

• RMweb Gold

When you go to Woodhorn now it looks so tidy compared to the working colliery days but it is a most informative place to go to I especially enjoyed seeing all the banners preserved there and the coal cart you can have a go at pushing makes you realise how hard coal mining was.Thanks for the photos any more LT&S pics please?

More LT&S to come once I have found time to get them ready and caption them.

David

Edited by DaveF