Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I think i was told at the time 'Lose bl***y weight lad' 

The other thing was 'put the wind' me was being given a new van on my first day with a firm. Completely empty i headed off to a job sarf of the river. Crossing the Dartford bridge a gust of wind took me from one side to the other on two wheels. I carried on and had just got past the M2 when the radio announced the bridge was closing due to high winds... 

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another bridge you may not like is the one many people use to reach one of the youth hostels in the Forest of Dean at Welsh Bicknor - an old railway bridge across the Wye with planks laid where the tracks used to be but plenty of gaps.

Re the weight in J3897, I think it will be a signal rather than a turnout, so possibly the ground signal.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

More excellent photo's.

I'm intrigued by the picture of 'Wester Teamish Industrial Estate' J3897 - do you know what traffic was handled there? 

John,

It's one of Dad's photos and I wasn't there when he took it.  So I'm sorry to have to say I haven't got a clue!

Edit - I've corrected the spelling of the industrial estate's name - Teaninich.

David

Edited by DaveF

Like a lot of people who have stayed at Culrain Castle YH, I've walked over that bridge too. I'm afraid you missed the pub on the other side which was the main reason for going! I was there a couple of years in a row, about 30 years ago now too.

Ahh, that's the good bit, I was on the other side as such, in fact stayed at the pub/hotel one night en-route to Thurso.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I do like these photo's of Beattock and Elvanfoot. Also just look at all those class '50's at work on the WCML, the first trains which they worked on. I do like the way the exhaust is hanging in the air in C1361.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I do like these photo's of Beattock and Elvanfoot. Also just look at all those class '50's at work on the WCML, the first trains which they worked on. I do like the way the exhaust is hanging in the air in C1361.

All the best,

Market65.

That's a thumbprint :jester:

Mike.

C1360 - 1M20 was the 09.25 Glasgow Central to Euston. The 1972-73 WTT states that it was air braked, ran to D455 timings which allowed two class 50s to haul a maximum of 570 tons and it ran to 'Accelerated timings' meaning that it was hauled by two locomotives in multiple between Glasgow and Crewe, as borne out by the photograph.

C1364 -1S53 was the 08.16 Birmingham to Glasgow Central, comments in the WTT are the same as those applying to 1M20 (D455).

C1366 - 1M30 was the 11.15 Glasgow Central to Euston, also running to accelerated timings (D455).

The Gateshead tram at Beamish is a bumpy and noisy ride when we went on it last our dog was very pleased to get off and did not want to get on the tram again but quite liked the open top bus that was running ,thanks for the photos liked the 37 at Beattock.

• RMweb Gold

The departure times were a little different in the 1973-1974 timetable that was in force at the time of the photos.

1M20 10:00 Glasgow - Euston

1S53  08:15 Birmingham - Glasgow

1M30 11:40 Glasgow - Euston

I do like double-headed class 50 shots! It's interesting that the lead loco seems to have it's ventilation louvres wide open, compared to the second loco which I assume was working less hard.

The departure times were a little different in the 1973-1974 timetable that was in force at the time of the photos.

Thanks, I was consulting the May 1972 - May 1973 WTT.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

C1360 - 1M20 was the 09.25 Glasgow Central to Euston. The 1972-73 WTT states that it was air braked, ran to D455 timings which allowed two class 50s to haul a maximum of 570 tons and it ran to 'Accelerated timings' meaning that it was hauled by two locomotives in multiple between Glasgow and Crewe, as borne out by the photograph.

C1364 -1S53 was the 08.16 Birmingham to Glasgow Central, comments in the WTT are the same as those applying to 1M20 (D455).

C1366 - 1M30 was the 11.15 Glasgow Central to Euston, also running to accelerated timings (D455).

I do like double-headed class 50 shots! It's interesting that the lead loco seems to have it's ventilation louvres wide open, compared to the second loco which I assume was working less hard.

Many thanks to both of you for the trains' destinations and times, I think I've amended the captions correctly.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit of digital dyslexia there, Dave - the 56 in C6821 is 56102...

Nice pictures...

I can use several fingers for typing, but not always in the right order...

David

• RMweb Gold

...... we certainly won't.

I look in each day and think that you can't possibly keep coming up with the goods (or passengers)* day in and day out - but you do.

I really appreciate you efforts. Thank you.

* see what I did there?

• RMweb Gold

Must say the 03 looks really smart in the lined green

Is that an original livery for 'Glenfield'? - very 'modern'/ deco lettering!

As fra as I know it is correct.

Out of curiosity, from C1637 are both shunter and coach still in existence?

D2381 is still, as far as I know, owned by Bill McAlpine, I'm not sure where it is kept now.  Others may have more idea.

I think the GER coach still exists, I think I did hear of it but cannot offhand remember what happened next...

David