Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

In the summer of 1977 BR ran  a series of "Mystery excursions" from  the East Midlands, they all picked up at Nottingham wherever they originated, this is one Mum and Dad went on.  The destination was only revealed late on in the journey, Dad says they were travelling round London when they were told the  destination.

Highlight of the summer weekend for us Kentish spotters, the various excursions to the coast. 

• RMweb Gold

Just love the 1970s North Kent Coast stuff, our family holiday destination every year. We stayed with an Uncle in Rainham whose garden backed onto the railway and went to the beach every day on the train - usually Margate or Herne Bay.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the Kent photo's. In C2653, at Deerton Street, I do like the level crossing gates, and the box. And in J5815, that is a really good 'portrait' of a class 423 DTCL.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

Not being rude about 26s but how did they manage, single loco, that number of wagons loaded? 

Phil

[Haulage geek mode on] In the words of performance guru Michael Oakley (BR Class 26/27 Diesels - Bradford Barton 1981), the 26s were "remarkably low-geared......what one finds is a performance peak at around 30mph, where the 26 is not merely the equal, pro rata, of the 27, but has overtaken it mightily......the normal class 26 performance curve has the drawbar hp down in practice to 50% of the engine brake hp by 60mph and to 25% by 80 mph, leaving the class 27 with a distinct advantage on the fast Aberdeen/Inverness route where the workings are now shared.....on their home ground, by contrast, the power comes through at the speed where it is most needed." So reliable low-speed slogging was where the class excelled, making them a good, if unusual, choice for the Central Belt MGR workings. And they made a gorgeous noise too! [Haulage geek mode off].

David

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I spent a day at Beamish Museum looking at the "Great North Steam Fair which continues until 12th April.

As usual I took a lot of photos, I'll post a few over the coming days.

Today's show Rowley station with the visiting Avonside.

post-5613-0-35830300-1428681266_thumb.jpg

Avonside 1764 Portbury at Beamish DSC_5664

post-5613-0-34428500-1428681273_thumb.jpg

Avonside 1764 Portbury at Rowley station Beamish DSC_5735

post-5613-0-56841100-1428681279_thumb.jpg

Avonside 1764 Portbury DSC_5667

post-5613-0-80230900-1428681286_thumb.jpg

Avonside 1764 Portbury DSC_5732

Some of you will be old enough to remember these.

post-5613-0-34571000-1428681292_thumb.jpg

Halls Distemper DSC_5692

David

• Like 17

Before I could drive, I once cycled to Lowdham on my push bike from Derby. Carlton Hill nearly killed me!

Drawings of the PW building in the background of the first picture, once described as a "Sleeper Cathedral" appeared in a model magazine many years ago. That prompted me to make a model of it - still got it somewhere. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Stunning photo's of Beamish Museum, which I've really enjoyed seeing. In photo's DSC_5735, and DSC_5732 the coach is, I think, an ex-GCR saloon. Then, there are a good set of photo's of the line from Nottingham to Newark Castle. I really do like the Sunrise (I think!) effect in C2577 at Gonalston Crossing with a class 120 DMU, in October, 1975.

All the best,

Market65.

The variety of locations and out of the way places never ceases to amaze me, aside from the excellence of the images.  Some have a glorious sense of sponteneity that puts the viewer right into the picture, others are just, well, beautiful. 

Look at C2517 again, the low sun, the mist over the distant track, the stillness about to be broken by a rattle of a dmu...

Thanks, Dave - keep them coming!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Stunning photo's of Beamish Museum, which I've really enjoyed seeing. In photo's DSC_5735, and DSC_5732 the coach is, I think, an ex-GCR saloon. Then, there are a good set of photo's of the line from Nottingham to Newark Castle. I really do like the Sunrise (I think!) effect in C2577 at Gonalston Crossing with a class 120 DMU, in October, 1975.

All the best,

Market65.

The variety of locations and out of the way places never ceases to amaze me, aside from the excellence of the images.  Some have a glorious sense of sponteneity that puts the viewer right into the picture, others are just, well, beautiful. 

Look at C2517 again, the low sun, the mist over the distant track, the stillness about to be broken by a rattle of a dmu...

Thanks, Dave - keep them coming!

C2517 at Gonalston Crossing of the Class 120 is one of my favourite photos.  Gonalston Crossing wasn't far to get to when I visited my parents so it was worth going there just for a short time.   The photo was taken in the early evening,  I'd probably gone there before having an evening meal with Mum and dad.

Gonalston was a very quiet crossing, the only traffic was to and from Hoveringham Village, and there were other ways of getting there.  This made it a very pleasant place to park to watch trains go by.  It could be very wet in winter!

David 

• RMweb Premium

Highlight of the summer weekend for us Kentish spotters, the various excursions to the coast. 

Highlight (mostly) of us mystery travellers from Wellingborough as well. For different reasons though, mostly route identification. Loco's were quite common I'm afraid, but often Crewe Diesel residents.

Phil

A few photos taken in Kent for today's selection.

attachicon.gifsa Bax Crossing Class 411 7171 Cannon St to Ramsgate 23rd April 77 C3307.jpg

Bax Crossing Class 411 7171 Cannon St to Ramsgate 23rd April 77 C3307

attachicon.gifsb Deerton Street Class 411 7115 Ramsgate to Victoria March 76 C2653.jpg

Deerton Street Class 411 7115 Ramsgate to Victoria March 76 C2653

attachicon.gift Teynham Class 423 7869 Victoria to Ramsgate 23rd April 77 C3310.jpg

Teynham Class 423 7869 Victoria to Ramsgate 23rd April 77 C3310

In the summer of 1977 BR ran  a series of "Mystery excursions" from  the East Midlands, they all picked up at Nottingham wherever they originated, this is one Mum and Dad went on.  The destination was only revealed late on in the journey, Dad says they were travelling round London when they were told the  destination.

attachicon.gifw Ramsgate Class 47 mystery special Alfreton and Mansfield Parkway to Ramsgate Aug 77 J5812.jpg

Ramsgate Class 47 mystery special Alfreton and Mansfield Parkway to Ramsgate Aug 77 J5812

attachicon.gifw Ramsgate Class 423 7891 Ramsgate to Charing Cross via Dover Aug 77 J5815.jpg

Ramsgate Class 423 7891 Ramsgate to Charing Cross via Dover Aug 77 J5815

David

I notice on the shot of 7171 that the waist level air hoses are flailing around under the driver's window.

They've cleaned D5096 up a bit between June '65 (J191) and March '67 (J845)... and the latter one has Mark 1 instead of what look like all-steel 'K-type' Pullmans.

An incongruous bit of motive power for a Pullman service - presumably was not on the train for the full journey.

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 2

They've cleaned D5096 up a bit between June '65 (J191) and March '67 (J845)... and the latter one has Mark 1 instead of what look like all-steel 'K-type' Pullmans.

An incongruous bit of motive power for a Pullman service - presumably was not on the train for the full journey.

I believe it was only a portion of the Yorkshire Pullman, working just as far as Leeds; the other portion originated in Bradford, I think. It would have been Type 4 or 5 power from Leeds.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Beamish photo's, and especially those of the 0-4-0 Coffee Pot. The photo's of Harrogate are very good too, and looking at the snow in J422, in November, 1965, of BR 5 73157, I wonder if that was the 27th, a Saturday - only that day was the day of the last train to run through Market Weighton. D5096 has undergone quite a transformation between the two photo's - it almost looks like a new engine in the second photo'!

All the best,

Market65.