Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some great photo's of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway as well as the ones from Nottinghamshire. In photo' J1355, at Haworth, with E.E. D0226, in July, 1968, there is a carriage in the background which looks, from what can seen of it, as if it could be either of GNR or LNER design, I'm just wondering which. I like the overall view in photo' C2925 of Hucknall, as it was in July, 1976 - I can see the train in the distance.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

I've had a look at Dad's photos taken at he KWVR around that time, also at mine and cannot find a better photo of the coach, so I don't know what it is.

It's when I look at the old photos of Dad's and mine that I wish I'd kept the early preserved railway stockbooks and the 1970s predecessors of the Ian Allan "Railways Restored" books.  They would be so useful now.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

The Citroen Dianne looks a vivid colour no probs finding it the car park!

It was mine and I never managed to lose it in a car park.

When I sold it I bought a yellow Dyane and did manage to lose it in a car park in Ipswich!  There was another one just like it and it took me a while to realise why my key wouldn't open the door.

David

It was mine and I never managed to lose it in a car park.

When I sold it I bought a yellow Dyane and did manage to lose it in a car park in Ipswich!  There was another one just like it and it took me a while to realise why my key wouldn't open the door.

David

I think if I'd a yellow Dyane, I'd be trying my hardest to lose it as well...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys for this info. I had no idea this coachwas in preservation.

Phil

I rode in it last year Phil, it is now restored into plum and custard livery, and is utterly immaculate.  The VCT stable it with the Bulleid coach in the same livery at Ingrow, it comes out on special days only.  I'll try to PM you a photo later rather than clutter up Dave's (wonderful) thread.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Just wallowing in the nostalgia from tonight's photo's of Grantham and Barkston. I also love the Brush type 4's in green - it suited them so well. And there's a good amount of exhaust coming out of the Derby class 114 in photo' J7025.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

I liked green diesels, especially the Brush 4s and Deltics, and I also liked the reversed DMU livery which seemed much smarter than the usual blue or blue/grey, but I suspect it was a pig to keep clean.

And that advert on the bridge - they don't make 'em like that any more.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Regarding the white and blue DMU livery, it was brake dust that was the big problem with that livery, and as a result of BR having difficulties trying to keep it clean, the decision was made fairly soon to use the blue and grey livery for refurbished and certain other DMU's.

All the best,

Market65.

Like the earlier view south of the bridge at Hucknall, barely recognisable now, nearly all housing and landscaped tips with the up line forming the Robin Hood route.

At the time we lived in Hucknall and Linby pit still had a steam winder, took me a while to figure out why I thought I could hear a steam engine pottering about!

My interest in railways was at it's lowest point around this time.

Bits of the inset track of the former 18'' gauge system at Sheet Stores can still be seen on the opposite side of the line between the main and Stenson routes.

47516 at Grantham I presume is non-stop, looks like the power handle has been pulled right back, something that was always apparent at Grantham, still is today to an extent. Ease around the curve then hit the power for the climb to Stoke Tunnel.   

• Like 1

1E59 was indeed a Halifax to Kings Cross service. The 0848 from Halifax, 0900 from Bradford and 0930 from Leeds due at Grantham at 1123 and Kings Cross 1310.

4C39 was the 1000 Appleby Frodingham to Colsterworth which passed Barkston at 1258, and arrived High Dyke at 1316 and Colsterworth at 1331.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Interesting photo's of Toton. J841 shows the sheer size of Toton, with the marshalling yards visible inspite of the sleet! Fascinating to see a wagon being hoisted up the loco' coaler in J148.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Love the pics of the 26s on the MGRs - railfreight livery really suited them too.

Interesting to see the wagons still with canopies - was this a particularly Scottish thing? presumably they were loaded to capacity here more than elsewhere?

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

Love the pics of the 26s on the MGRs - railfreight livery really suited them too.

Interesting to see the wagons still with canopies - was this a particularly Scottish thing? presumably they were loaded to capacity here more than elsewhere?

I believe the wagons with canopies were largely Scottish based.

The wagons with canopies were higher than those without, not all collieries could accept them.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Prestonpans photo's. In particular, in C7924, is 37 043 on a down pipe train, which makes a most impressive sight.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

I believe all MGR's countrywide were loaded to the same capacity, this coal might have been a bit dustier or the local residents complained more?

Mike.