Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Great photos. Any ideas what the load may have been in J2837?

I don't think it is just blue tarpaulins.

Jonathan

To be honest I haven't got a clue.  Some look round, it could be that some are loaded lengthways and others are standing on end.

David

Those Chester bound trains used to intrigue the commentators on Test Match Special back in those days.

I remember them commenting regularly on the fact that most trains stopped at Old Trafford, but once an hour (or two hourly - I don't have a timetable) a train would race through without stopping. This seemed to cause Trevor Bailey, John Arlott, et al, all manner of confusion.

Causing them to miss a wicket falling, IIRC- I think it was a Test against Pakistan in the late 1970s..

Those Chester bound trains used to intrigue the commentators on Test Match Special back in those days.

I remember them commenting regularly on the fact that most trains stopped at Old Trafford, but once an hour (or two hourly - I don't have a timetable) a train would race through without stopping. This seemed to cause Trevor Bailey, John Arlott, et al, all manner of confusion.

Don't think this one is running via the MSJ&A, though. It might be on the route that Piccadilly-Chester trains run today, i.e. via Stockport, Edgeley Jct, Northenden Jct, etc.

Yes, these particular number codes, as laid out  in the post on the previous page (#2725), were unique to the LT&S as the second number was used to denote the route.

The LT&S lines working timetable also contains the standard headcodes for each train e.g. 2356 was the 07.35 from Fenchurch Street to Tilbury Riverside.  The standard BR headcode for it  was 2K56.

David

I have just looked in my BR Headcodes book, and it states that the LT&S 2nd character for inter-regional trains between St Pancras and Kentish Town carry the letter C throughout.

Internal freight trains and all trains to and from the GE line carry a white dot or blank for the 2nd identification.

• RMweb Premium

I have just looked in my BR Headcodes book, and it states that the LT&S 2nd character for inter-regional trains between St Pancras and Kentish Town carry the letter C throughout.

Internal freight trains and all trains to and from the GE line carry a white dot or blank for the 2nd identification.

Hi Jonny

To add to your post the St Pancras to Tilbury boat trains headcode was 1E04. I am not sure of the return headcode.

The DMUs with 2 figure headcodes seemed to run with 2C showing.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Really enjoy your regular updates. Liked the Manchester area photos from 1971/72. Wonder if you took any on the Sale Altrincham line with the old units?

Kevin

Kevin,

I don't think so, except for a few at Oxford Road most of which are already somewhere in this thread.  

In those days on a student grant (I actually got about £280 a year) film was precious in term time!  Most of my photos were taken when visiting Mum and Dad as I could sometimes scrounge a film off them.

David

• Like 1

Yes. Railway photography was an expensive hobby in those days.

I remember buying my first SLR in 1973, which was a Russian Zenith with a light meter, and that cost about £50 from Dixons; which was about 3 weeks pay for me at the time, unless I could wangle some overtime.

Agfa CT18 was about £2.50?  for a 36 roll film, which again was not cheap for someone earning £20 a week after tax, and I had to pay rent out of this before I could afford to eat.

I coveted an Olympus OM1 (David Bailey had them), but they cost hundreds so that had to wait another 10 years and was still only second hand because by then I had a family, which were even more expensive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes. Railway photography was an expensive hobby in those days.

I remember buying my first SLR in 1973, which was a Russian Zenith with a light meter, and that cost about £50 from Dixons; which was about 3 weeks pay for me at the time, unless I could wangle some overtime.

Agfa CT18 was about £2.50?  for a 36 roll film, which again was not cheap for someone earning £20 a week after tax, and I had to pay rent out of this before I could afford to eat.

I coveted an Olympus OM1 (David Bailey had them), but they cost hundreds so that had to wait another 10 years and was still only second hand because by then I had a family, which were even more expensive.

My first SLR was also a Zenith, in 1971, I think I paid for it with the earnings from a summer job.  A few years later the shutter packed in and I bought a (very) secondhand Pentax (S1a I think).  

Since then I've used a Pentax Spotmatic, then a Canon AT1, then an AE1, followed by various Minoltas.  At the moment I use a Nikon D80 - I suppose that for a digital SLR it is quite old but it still works well.

I think you've got the price about right for the film, I remember it was around 38/- (£1 -90) in the mid 60s when Dad was buying it regularly.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Superb picture of the down Midland Pullman David.

However I'm slightly puzzled. The train was due in Manchester at 9.20pm, so would've passed Peak Forest around say 8.40ish. Would it have been light in April at that time?

Dad was always puzzled about that too, it was probably taken on a Saturday or a Sunday, so I wonder if it might have been a special working.

Edit

I don't have the relevant working timetable for 1963, but everything I can find says that the Midland Pullman only ran on weekdays (Mon to Fri) so the photo must have been of a special working.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

The Grand National in 1963 was on 30th March, so assuming David's April date is correct, it isn't working one of those specials.

I think the date is right, but it is just possible that it's a Grand National one as he could have got the date wrong by a week.

David

• RMweb Gold

Or it might just be a test run for one of the sets over the line. The Midland Pullman could only display an "express passenger" headcode, so who knows?

Couldn't find anything specific in Kevin Robertson's books on the Blue Pullmans either.

I hoped someone would have that book and try to find it.

The working isn't on the Six Bells site, though most race specials are.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Really love the Llanberis Lake Railway photo's. Those of Peak Forest are very interesting. The Midland Pullman photo' is wonderful, and the Pullman is most probably working a special or test service. Like seeing the 37's in the later photo's.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.