Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Amazing pics again Dave, every one interesting on so many levels.

J839 especially, early blue peak on mixed livery stock - I know there are many fans of this livery on RmWeb!

J10022 is useful for showing a nice little 'crane train' which could fit on a lot of smaller layouts - I suppose you could substitute an older type of crane, just shows you don't need a huge crane with loads of tool vans etc to be realistic

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's tonight. J1702 of Loughborough Midland Goods Yard does indeed have an ex-LNER 12ton box van up against the buffer stop, and also the carriage looks like an ex-LMS period l TK. I like that lorry as well, so typical of the period. Yes, I really like seeing the peak in the early blue livery.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

It's probably been said many times before, but for someone like me who models the late 60's era and wasn't around then, photos like these are invaluable to try and get things right.

Thanks, Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

J10022 is of a Plasser GP72. J1702 includes a ballast cleaner that is definitely not an RM74, but the coach is the living van for it.

Thanks, I've added the details both to the captions and my catalogue.

David

• RMweb Premium

J839 strange looking blue on this one, i do like that color!

That's the early, (what has become known as), Chromatic Blue - which some pundits will tell you did not exist !

I seem to recall that, when the corporate image was initially publicised, the colours were officially named as Monastral Blue and Grey.

Cue furious (and polarised) debate !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

Absolutely love J1248 and something I never saw even when spotting around North Manchester around 81-83.

I think the Topley Pike-Pendleton stone train was double headed for a while in the early 80s. I'll try to find a picture I took from Brindle Heath sidings box...

Jon F.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love tonight's photo's of Sowerby Bridge. The last one of the class 110 DMU shows a passenger opening a door before the train has come to a stop. You cannot do that today!

All the best,

Market65.

The old ballast cleaner in J1702 at Loughborough was a Matisa 3B5 (they were DR76000-18 under CEPS). Most of them seemed to use an old Medfit as a runner for the conveyor at the nearest end. I think that LNER van might be in internal use as a store - there's no sign of a number or tare and a number seemed to end up like this around the country in similar condition. A great photo and full of atmosphere! Thanks for sharing it!

Hywel

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's. That first one is a Fairburn - I've just cross-checked with Bachmann model and the Hornby Stanier - and as TheSignalEngineer has posted, it is almost certainly one of those in the 422xx number series.Now J302 of a 40 at Scout Green on the 8th, August, 1965, is a real classic view, the kind that you associate with all of those top photographers of the period. It could easily have been published in Modern Railways to give an example. Well done to your Dad, and many thanks for posting it.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

J254 The train (1L25) is the 10.35 Euston =- Carlisle, due into Carlisle at 17.42. It was almost a stopping train over the Lancaster & Carlisle section, c lling at Carnforth, Oxenholme, Tebay, Shap and Penrith.

Many thanks, I've amended the caption.

David

Oh my.....       A white Mini Traveller at Sowerby Bridge. I used to have one of those (and in white), although mine had more primer than original paint, where I had sanded down and filled the rust patches.  I gave it an "acceleration test" one Sunday morning, and it managed to do 0-60 mph in just under a minute.

Oh my.....       A white Mini Traveller at Sowerby Bridge. I used to have one of those (and in white), although mine had more primer than original paint, where I had sanded down and filled the rust patches.  I gave it an "acceleration test" one Sunday morning, and it managed to do 0-60 mph in just under a minute.

My, you were pedalling fast, then - I could never get mine to 60 in under 70 seconds...