Mexborough Depot's last steam loco to visit

18B

Evening,

whilst reading "Mexborough Shed Road to Anywhere" http://www.transportdiversions.com/publicationshow.asp?pubid=7495 I noted a picture with a group of staff around the last steam loco to visit Mexborough Shed, it said 1st may but I can't remember what year it was?

Please, coud someone who happen to have the book please remind mr of the the year it says? or Of course unless anyone knows or has any other info regarding this?

The book Railway Memories No.21: Rotherham Mexborough & Wath has Mexborough shed closing in Feb 1964, after losing its main line allocation in 1963. There's an allocation listing for summer 1963, with 47 locos of classes  B1, O4, WD 2-8-0s and 350hp diesel shunters.

No info on the last locos to visit though. But if it closed in Feb 64, and there was a steam allocation in summer 63, surely that casts doubt on any May date for the last steam loco to visit?

The book Railway Memories No.21: Rotherham Mexborough & Wath has Mexborough shed closing in Feb 1964, after losing its main line allocation in 1963. There's an allocation listing for summer 1963, with 47 locos of classes  B1, O4, WD 2-8-0s and 350hp diesel shunters.

No info on the last locos to visit though. But if it closed in Feb 64, and there was a steam allocation in summer 63, surely that casts doubt on any May date for the last steam loco to visit?

In that book it went on to explain that although Mexborough shed closed, a link of men stayed behind for relieving the passing trains, hence the last visit of a steam loco, which although a depot may well have officially closed to steam, many I suspect played host to the odd visitor in the dieing days of steam.  

• 3 months later...

the last steam loco to leave Mexborough shed was 90265 on the 1st of may 1964. and the last link left were there to relieve the last few booked freight trains and any that happened along the way needing relief we had no passenger workings as such. our staff room was still in the shed but finally moved to the station on platform 2 which is now 1. I was in that last link

Archived