The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

1 hour ago, BR traction instructor said:

In search of Postman Pat in Longsleddale today...Gatescarth pass ahead...

BeRTIe

IMG_9322.jpeg

IMG_9317.jpeg

IMG_9327.jpeg

IMG_9324.jpeg

Have you ever considered submitting these to a postcard manufacturer/publisher? This set of photos have got to be your best yet IMHO.

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

In search of Postman Pat in Longsleddale today...Gatescarth pass ahead...

BeRTIe

IMG_9322.jpeg

IMG_9317.jpeg

IMG_9327.jpeg

IMG_9324.jpeg

I suppose you are aware that an early proposal for a railway between Lancaster and Carlisle  was through Longsleddale, with a tunnel under Gatescarth Pass and then down Mardale to Penrith, so that this quiet and most beautiful of valleys might have become an important trunk route. The principle reason for this was so that the railway would serve Kendal, which a direct route over Shap would not. In the end we got a compromise, with a railway that didn't quite serve Kendal, and also had rather worse than the 1 in 100 gradients originally proposed for the Shap route.

The Wikipedia page on the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway is well written: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_and_Carlisle_Railway

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Hippel said:

Have you ever considered submitting these to a postcard manufacturer/publisher? This set of photos have got to be your best yet IMHO.

Paul

5 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

Thankyou Paul, I haven't looked into that but it is a nice thought.

BeRTIe

Sadly the postcard market has dropped through the floor, largely due to Iphones. Why look for and find a view card, write out the address and message, put a stamp on it and put it in a post box when you can snap the same view and send it at the press of a button?

The Kentmere valley (accessed via Staveley) as far as Kentmere reservoir, from Brockstones today.

Spoil heaps from copper mine workings and reservoir building litter the upper parts of the valley...note the spoil from the mine workings above the now disused sheep stockade.

The walking route beyond the reservoir is to Mardale (Haweswater), whilst the Roman road, High St descends from the peaks on the left. Longsleddale (yesterday's walk) is the next valley to the right...

BeRTIe

IMG_9337.jpeg

IMG_9343.jpeg

IMG_9358.jpeg

IMG_9348.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 8

Host duties again this week, fetching my elderly parents from the Staffordshire Moorlands (for their first stay in Silloth) has led to a few days taking them to see some local views, a few red squirrels at Shap wells and to experience some local fare in a few of the lovely local hostelries...the Queens head in Askham today, serving fabulous fresh pizzas from their purpose built oven, alongside a great pint of Loweswater gold. My dad used to drive lorries over Shap in the 1960s, before the M6 was built and thoroughly enjoyed a nostalgic drive from Penrith to Kendal and back to Shap village before this lovely lunch. A few gorgeous handmade chocs from Kennedy's in nearby Orton village didn't spoil their appetite...

BeRTIe

IMG_9487.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 7

On 10/08/2024 at 07:10, BR traction instructor said:

Host duties again this week, fetching my elderly parents from the Staffordshire Moorlands (for their first stay in Silloth) has led to a few days taking them to see some local views, a few red squirrels at Shap wells and to experience some local fare in a few of the lovely hostelries...the Queens head in Askham today, serving fabulous fresh pizzas from their purpose built oven, alongside a great pint of Loweswater gold. My dad used to drive lorries over Shap in the 1960s, before the M6 was built and thoroughly enjoyed a nostalgic drive from Penrith to Kendal and back to Shap village before this lovely lunch. A few gorgeous handmade chocs from Kennedy's in Orton didn't spoil their appetite...

BeRTIe

IMG_9487.jpeg

What a beautiful selection of photos and maybe an online tourists organisation maybe be able to use them for a fee although when most people visit it will probably be raining.  I like the idyllic pub The Queens Head and if you deleted the TV aerials, satellite dish and cars you could almost be transported back to another era. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A little bit of industrial heritage...the eastern tunnel mouth of the Standedge Canal Tunnel at Marsden, West Yorkshire.

StandedgeTunnelMarsden-RMweb.jpg.034b45ac185edb85d8603eb2b5631ac7.jpg

A total length of 5,675 yards (5,189 m) of hard graft constructed over 16 years from 1795 to 1811 at a cost of £160,000*, enabling the Huddersfield Narrow Canal to link its namesake town with Ashton-under-Lyne, at that time in the county of Lancashire.

* According to the calculator on the Bank of England website, £11,226,248.86 in todays money.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

On 01/08/2024 at 03:55, BR traction instructor said:

Hi Jeremy,

I wasn't aware of that but it would have amounted to a crime...what a beautiful valley to have lost to a railway.

It might well have prevented Mardale from being lost to drowning. Whether or not it would've been lost to the railway, well, the Eden Valley hasn't been lost to the S&C, but I feel the Lune Gorge arguably has to the WCML (although the M6 has done far more to it).

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

More on the Cumbria Way today with a climb to High Pike from Fell Side nr Caldbeck, followed by a walk around the Newlands horseshoe beyond Keswick...

Not on the same day, surely?

• Like 1