The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, caradoc said:

Lovely photos DavidF, but I'm surprised we're still waiting for someone to identify the ships in Sunrise 3.....

Sorry, wrong thread !

If I'd thought at the time I could have looked them up on marinetraffic.com.

I use the site quite a lot to check what is passing by when I go to the beach.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A crisp and bright February morning this morning, after a very cold night, with the daytime temperature now hovering around zero.

A walk along the towpath of the Huddersfield Broad canal at Deighton, with the ground frozen and the remnants of recent snow showers still evident.

59152741_HuddersfieldBroadCanal11022021-RMweb.jpg.fcc0785b57eaf5563e0b393d9d297598.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 4630 said:

A crisp and bright February morning this morning, after a very cold night, with the daytime temperature now hovering around zero.

A walk along the towpath of the Huddersfield Broad canal at Deighton, with the ground frozen and the remnants of recent snow showers still evident.

59152741_HuddersfieldBroadCanal11022021-RMweb.jpg.fcc0785b57eaf5563e0b393d9d297598.jpg

Reminds me of the view out of my bedroom window this morning, frozen Peak Forest Canal with a bit of snow on it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Spot near me I must try to have a look at tomorrow - lane goes through a rock cutting (edge of an old quarry), and a stream runs down the rock. Can look quite impressive when it freezes and I've not been there since it turned cold.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not just for us British, I was working in Poland several years ago to the day and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was 'Fat Tuesday' (their translation, not mine) ....I've never eaten so many doughnuts and cakes ! :yahoo_mini:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/02/2021 at 19:48, 03060 said:

Not just for us British, I was working in Poland several years ago to the day and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was 'Fat Tuesday' (their translation, not mine) ....I've never eaten so many doughnuts and cakes ! :yahoo_mini:

“Fat Tuesday” would be “Mardi Gras”.... it’s a common festival throughout the Catholic world, from Louisiana to Buenos Aires to Barcelona and Poland, it precedes the penances and fasting  of Lent.

“Shrove Tuesday” actually refers to being “shriven”, or in a state of confession and absolution prior to the fasting of Lent - the Protestant C of E retains much from its Catholic origins, although Confession isn’t practiced. 

But its all, basically, the same festival - using up the last of the winters stores, after ploughing and planting, before waiting for the coming revival of Easter and the spring harvest. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a walk across kelling heath today , lovely warm day tainted only by the inability to have a couple of pints at the holiday park.

A far cry from been on a snowplough loco this time last week 

DSC_1321.JPG

DSC_1320.JPG

DSC_1319.JPG

• Like 13

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

A minor digression - Country File today, was showing the flood plains of the River Nene in Northants, pronounced NEEN .... so if that’s the official BBC pronounciation, that settles it....

Different pronunciations depending on whereabouts on the river you live, yes pronounced NEEN is some places, but NENN in others.  The real surprise is they all use the same spelling!

Here in Hitchin the town is named after the river Hit - but it's the Hiz a couple of miles away in Arlesey.  At Shefford they have a RIVER HIT sign which they had to modify so that there isn't room to insert an extra letter before the the name of the river.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

59 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Different pronunciations depending on whereabouts on the river you live, yes pronounced NEEN is some places, but NENN in others.  The real surprise is they all use the same spelling!

Here in Hitchin the town is named after the river Hit - but it's the Hiz a couple of miles away in Arlesey.  At Shefford they have a RIVER HIT sign which they had to modify so that there isn't room to insert an extra letter before the the name of the river.

I’ve lived in Peterborough thirty years now, and I worked for Anglia Water at one time, I spent a year surveying every ditch and brook in three counties along the Nene, Welland and Glen. I’ve worked on pipelines across country and under roads and rivers from Peterborough East to Weedon and Wellingborough, and West to Sutton Bridge and Skegness. 

I can honestly say that I had never heard the pronounciation “Nenn” until recently. Wikipedia cites Imray’s “Map of the River Nene” and states that the pronounciation varies East of Thrapston, 20 or so miles West of Peterborough,  but that isn’t my experience. I’ve certainly never heard the pronounciation “Nenn” used by any official body, be they Anglia Water or National Grid, Network Rail, Grand Union Canal  or local highway authorities. 

The spelling appears to have become standardised around 1885. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

...... that said, a lot of details of local nomenclature and spelling in the area between the A11 and A14 appear to be more a matter of opinion than fact, as my wife’s more rustic relations are given to observing “there’s no tellin’ what they White Fen fellers might do” . 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Pronunciations change over very short distances.

The village of Greetham, where I ran a pub, was pronounced Gree tham by the West Enders and Greetem by the East enders. Total length less than a mile!

I have heard the Nene pronounced both ways, but there seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to the origins of either pronunciation.

Regards

Ian

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A spring time walk on 21st March 2021 along the towpath of the Calder & Hebble Navigation between Elland and Cromwell Bottom Nature Reserve.

1328534115_CalderHebbleNavigation21032021RMweb.JPG.3913f00e7d005c9e5c1ab50e6458be9b.JPG

Or for those who like a bit of monochrome.

1450453092_CalderHebbleNavigation21032021BWRMweb.JPG.260e3b6616a3385b97c56ad2d5d05350.JPG

As the nearby A6025 road is currently closed between Elland and Brighouse for major repairs, the only sounds to be heard were from waterfowl in the canal and birdsong in the trees.  Life almost felt normal - for the duration of the walk at least.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
On 22/02/2021 at 15:47, The White Rabbit said:

Once on a South Devon Railway train, I overheard a native English speaker refer to Ratio Mills (at Buckfastleigh) as 'Ratty - oh' Mills.   :dontknow:

Maybe it is/was? Ratty, I mean. :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1