The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Why the concrete?

This is the widest part of the promenade. The shingle beach is stacked against the concrete promenade by contractors a couple of times a year. The shingle gets washed from the middle of the beach to the ends. At the eastern end there is a substantial breakwater and at the western end it is protected by the larger breakwater that surrounds the entrance to Newhaven Harbour. The contractors dig the shingle from the ends, convey it in large dumper trucks to the central area where it is compacted and shaped by bulldozers. This is apparently more cost effective than replacing the series of groynes that were there previously. At that time the beach was lower. The shingle bank is in effect our seawall. As the promenade and the shingle beach are the same height for much of the seafront there is no need for the railings one often finds along promenade edges. There is only a small wall between the back of the promenade and the Marine Drive roadway, along most of the sea front. At the point this was taken from, the road rises up and over the end of a hill. There is a retaining seawall at this point, which can just be seen to the right of the photo, with some of the very expensive beach huts in front of it. The shingle can be washed right up to the wall and sometimes across the road along the flatter bits. There is another low (+/- 3ft) wall on the other side of the road which helps to protect seafront houses from water and shingle.

You can see the eastern end and the overall view, with the breakwater, in these photos.

Seaford Bay from Seaford Head 31 8 2009.jpg

Seaford promenade east - 10 3 2012.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The East Anglian Transport Museum is open again and we went along on 24th September. This is at Carlton Coalville, just outside Lowestoft and it really is well worth a visit. It was our second outing to a heritage site this year ... the first was the Middy on New Year's Day!

- Richard.

1192319765_2020-09-2414_36_48.jpg.739af849c84c9fa34af4348122914555.jpg

252045854_2020-09-2414_37_49.jpg.c7e37bfd4dc7e67a63033ba1952a09ba.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 47137 said:

The East Anglian Transport Museum is open again and we went along on 24th September. This is at Carlton Coalville, just outside Lowestoft and it really is well worth a visit. It was our second outing to a heritage site this year ... the first was the Middy on New Year's Day!

- Richard.

1192319765_2020-09-2414_36_48.jpg.739af849c84c9fa34af4348122914555.jpg

252045854_2020-09-2414_37_49.jpg.c7e37bfd4dc7e67a63033ba1952a09ba.jpg

One of my favourite museums. Hope to go next year and take in the Long Shop Museum at Leiston on the way. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I went to the tyre place today. The ongoing demolition and redevelopment of the area South of Town Bridge has opened up a short-lived vista across the river and adjoining water meadow, to the Cathedral and even the Art Deco concrete of the Lido. It won’t last, Town Bridge will be crammed with concrete and glass soon enough but it’s a rare treat while it lasts. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NorthBrit said:

Afternoon tea in the railway carriages,  Bellingham Heritage Centre,  at Bellingham, Northumberland.   The station was a main one on the Border Counties Railway run by  the North British Railway Company.

WP_20170921_13_19_53_Pro.jpg.0b4c24b04ff2e1b4a274a75671e12dd3.jpg

We stopped off there last year when we were out on the bikes. I seem to recall that the refreshments were excellent and the staff very friendly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Guest Isambarduk

And the view from my 'den' window that, along with the view from my workshop; I shall be seeing a lot more of now with the forced Lockdown in (Mid) Wales:

image.png.21994d801b87bd2a6a6b2c15e476a075.png

David

Edited by Isambarduk
spelling mistake

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lockdown stillness in Brighouse on the 8th November 2020.  Even the wildlife that's normally in and around Brighouse Basin appears to have self-isolated at the time of my visit.

195889315_LockdownstillnessBrighouse08112020-RMweb.jpg.7e0f4c095473226d463e41f61721005f.jpg

Image taken from Wharf Street - Bridge No 8 looking west for anyone curious.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Last week I went round to the west of Newhaven when I saw that the waves were looking dramatic.

Enjoying the drama was however tinged with sadness, in 2013 a fourteen-year-old boy, playing with friends at dusk, fell into the sea in this area and was swept out by the stormy waves. The Newhaven lifeboat spent many hours trying to find him in the darkness, but without success. The conditions were so bad that the lifeboat was damaged.  Their heroism is the best of British. My second photo was taken the day after he was lost.

Waves surging Nerwhaven 2 11 2020 square.jpg

Somewhere out there RIP Newhaven 28 10 2013.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

It is difficult to know how to best follow a sad post but we went to Green Island Gardens near Colchester yesterday.

Fairy house, walls built between tree stumps:

142402714_2020-11-1210_55.jpg.986ac1f576d5d61e7edacae5f3567eb9.jpg

Autumn colours:

149674541_2020-11-1211_06.jpg.eb73cb611655fbdcba1d7e138c718369.jpg

Neither of us had been before and we took care to look at only a part, so there is more to see for another trip. At the moment, the tea room is closed but the gardens and toilets are open.

https://www.greenislandgardens.co.uk

- Richard.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Another Monday with a window of decent weather. The Malverns beckoned....

71D20790-C325-4B88-828C-73389298761C.jpeg

5B191B8C-1AA7-4722-9ADE-4788C184B32D.jpeg

Ooh, you lucky chap. Haven't been up the Malverns for a few years. Weather here is grim at the moment, not that we are allowed to go anywhere!

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

Ooh, you lucky chap. Haven't been up the Malverns for a few years. Weather here is grim at the moment, not that we are allowed to go anywhere!

We are allowed out for personal exercise with our own bubble! Looking at rainfall radar this morning saw you folks were copping a load of precipitation....

Stay safe John.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

And many happy childhood memories of trips there.... usually followed by a visit to “The Kettle Sings”. Anyone who hasn’t been there... it’s on the west side of the hills along Jubilee Drive. The views are stunning....when I took SWMBO there recently the Red Arrows flew past at our level. As a child the game was to wait for the steam of a train leaving Colwall to be visible then to dash out to the car and get over the hills to see it burst out of the tunnel at Malvern.... happy days

• Like 3