The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

On 26/06/2019 at 19:10, Kingzance said:

Here's one for the bucket and spade brigade, waiting for the image was thirsty work!

Britain_somewhere.jpeg

Thanks, but where is it, forget the bucket & spade, I'm always looking for dog-friendly beaches.:sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bike2steam said:

Thanks, but where is it, forget the bucket & spade, I'm always looking for dog-friendly beaches.:sungum:

Petethemole has guessed it - the breaking wave just inside the  headlands is The Doom Bar from which the beer that was originally brewed in Rock was named. The old lifeboat station (in grey) is now a residence! As for walks, a lovely circular rote round the headland is signposted but the beach can be a little tricky on a flooding  tide.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kingzance said:

Petethemole has guessed it - the breaking wave just inside the  headlands is The Doom Bar from which the beer that was originally brewed in Rock was named. The old lifeboat station (in grey) is now a residence! As for walks, a lovely circular rote round the headland is signposted but the beach can be a little tricky on a flooding  tide.

The converted lifeboat station was, I understand, at one time in the possession of Edward Woodward.

image.png.ff09cb0d054c33645bad66bd26d7ad8b.png

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NorthBrit said:

Meccano

IMG_2333.JPG.66842d55e2da81b79b7e4a7bf6325746.JPG

I am sure that Frank’s toys from Binns Road were the cause of my eventual route into engineering. I was given a second hand set in good old red and green for I think my 7th birthday and was always building devices, sometimes to plans but often later to achieve a particular outcome, sometimes successful and at others times not so!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

A Cowes -Southampton ferry with both Fawley oil refinery and the nearby power station providing a backdrop against the setting sun

2077203325_P1010778copy.jpg.b18094df4f9eb2cdb0e5a9c057a18ee1.jpg

The 650 foot chimney has to go, https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17678198.fawley-power-station-to-be-destroyed-in-series-of-controlled-explosions/

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Driver shortages across the rail network on the Sunday of a bank holiday weekend. Don't you just love it...

Why? Do they shrink in the sun? Couldn't they sit on a cushion so they can see over the control desk?  :P

(Gets coat...)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

12 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Why? Do they shrink in the sun? Couldn't they sit on a cushion so they can see over the control desk?  :P

(Gets coat...)

Well you certainly made me chuckle Phil, as I'm currently delayed at Salisbury for an hour because SWR, rather conveniently for them, can't seem to find any drivers.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bike2steam said:

It almost beggars belief in my mind - here we have an oil-fired power station with plenty of available cooling in a rapidly growing area of population and it even has an  oil refinery and marine offloading facilities adjacent to it yet we (or those in charge) are happy to buy power from elsewhere in Europe through a series of sub-sea interconnectors (which they intend expanding too) drawing power from a network that in some cases relies on the combustion of Lignite rather than to overhaul and recommission this local asset.

Maybe that actually vindicates the title of this thread!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Lived in the area for over twenty years, but only today did I manage an outing to the Stapleford Miniature Railway for their B/H Event.

2019_0814GranthamSteamFair2010045.JPG.4f86e8e05d1ab0a8c1e1e811ff9fa094.JPG

Set in rather nice countryside.

The only downside was that I decided to cycle the 9 miles. Very pleasant this morning, but rather hot on the uphill return.

I didn't know that I suffered from Alcoholic constipation, until I discovered that I couldn't pass a pub.

Fortunately (or not) there was only one on the way home so I visited the bar twice!!.

Regards

Ian

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Lived in the area for over twenty years, but only today did I manage an outing to the Stapleford Miniature Railway for their B/H Event.

2019_0814GranthamSteamFair2010045.JPG.4f86e8e05d1ab0a8c1e1e811ff9fa094.JPG

Set in rather nice countryside.

The only downside was that I decided to cycle the 9 miles. Very pleasant this morning, but rather hot on the uphill return.

I didn't know that I suffered from Alcoholic constipation, until I discovered that I couldn't pass a pub.

Fortunately (or not) there was only one on the way home so I visited the bar twice!!.

Regards

Ian

And lovely local pies too!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 25/08/2019 at 17:29, SVRlad said:

Well you certainly made me chuckle Phil, as I'm currently delayed at Salisbury for an hour because SWR, rather conveniently for them, can't seem to find any drivers.

This really belongs in another thread, but it's typical modern railway management - everything is permanently a scarce resource, all training is provided by "someone else" and key roles routinely depend upon overtime working to make up rosters while failure to adequately resource commitments is regarded as sufficient excuse not to meet contractual obligations. 

Then agsin, it isn't really new. I seem to remember this being a quote from W S Gilbert of Gilbert and Sullivan? "Dear Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular & well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise..."

Edited by rockershovel
  • Agree 5