The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

Ever since we used to pass it going on holiday back in the 50's, I have always had a hankering to climb Brent Knoll. Maybe one day!

The easiest way is up from Brent Knoll village, about 30 mins, though very steep in parts. There is a small car park and WC in the village, the footpath starts behind the church, and is well signposted. The Red Cow in Brent Knoll does good food, it is open lunchtimes and evenings.

From the Brent Knoll Inn (which also does good food) at East Brent it is about 35 mins, again steep near the top.

Brent Knoll is not quite as high as Glastonbury Tor which can be seen from the top.

cheers

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The view across the moors in West Yorkshire this afternoon (but only just, as Lancashire is but a stones throw away to my right) from Buckstones towards Firth Pule and Pule Hill in the middle distance, through which the 4,803m Standedge rail tunnel and neighbouring canal tunnel are driven.  A couple of the air shafts are just visible on the hillside above the A62 which is descending towards Marsden at the extreme left of the view.

The Holme Moss radio mast, which is sited on the border with Derbyshire, is visible in the distance.

post-414-0-21302000-1533496240.jpg

The water level in the March Haigh reservoir which feeds into the River Colne looks to be getting a bit low.

post-414-0-84500100-1533496231.jpg

Edited by 4630
  • Like 15

Wonderful pictures guys, but in answer to the title of this thread, I just wish I could think of one right at this moment. Don't ask! Honest.

I feel the same, OR, and I may well be looking to leave over the next few years, but when all is said and done, whatever may be going on in the country, it remains a beautiful country, where it hasn't been spoiled by overcrowding and overdevelopment anyway.

That's why I posted my photos - to celebrate the one thing I am truly proud of in this country (alongside the NHS of course): its landscape.

• Like 5

Guest Isambarduk

... and I may well be looking to leave over the next few years …

All the very best with your adventure if you do decide to.   I did that when I was a young man (in the 1970s) and it was the right thing for me … I did return … eventually. :-)    David

All the very best with your adventure if you do decide to.   I did that when I was a young man (in the 1970s) and it was the right thing for me … I did return … eventually. :-)    David

Thanks David. Unfortunately, I'm no longer a young man (early 50s now), although I did live abroad when I was younger (Norway). That's the place I'd return to if I do go, because my business, although Europe-wide, is centred on Scandinavia and Norway in particular. Less than 10% of my business comes from the UK these days. It won't be an easy decision though, as I love the place where I live. The landscape and the people. 

It will depend on many factors, family being the major one right now, so I'm just biding my time at the moment and seeing how certain events unfold, if you get my drift. He says, trying not to get political. 

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve seen the world. It’s big, round, full of people speaking languages I have no clue about. Much of it is stinking hot, freezing cold or sometimes both. The sausages are weird and the chips are like fried cardboard.

I like it here, and coming up the Solent on a fast RIB after a long day on a barge reminds me why..

post-10066-0-94255500-1535306002_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Thanks David. Unfortunately, I'm no longer a young man (early 50s now), although I did live abroad when I was younger (Norway). That's the place I'd return to if I do go, because my business, although Europe-wide, is centred on Scandinavia and Norway in particular. Less than 10% of my business comes from the UK these days. It won't be an easy decision though, as I love the place where I live. The landscape and the people. 

It will depend on many factors, family being the major one right now, so I'm just biding my time at the moment and seeing how certain events unfold, if you get my drift. He says, trying not to get political. 

Cheers,

Dave

I’ve worked abroad for the simple and sufficient reason that it paid more and more often, than this country ever offered me, I’m sad to say. I’ve worked in Norway and had a good time, but I could never get the right conditions of contract, and they are essential there

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cambrian main line in the early 1970s.

Looking west from the bridge over Talerddig cutting:

no_weeds_700x840.jpg

From the hedge pattern on the distant hillside, I think I took this from the A470 about 1/2 mile north of Carno. Possibly from the occupation crossing, see:  https://goo.gl/maps/xPHb5Hvngi52

no_weeds_1120x800.jpg

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 16

Oh, and for those who don’t speak British English, “crisps” are the salty flat things in little bags, that you eat with beer. “Fries” are the same as in the US, thin things like fried cardboard that come from McDonalds. “Chips” are the food of the gods, fingers of fried potato eaten with fried fish, battered sausages or on their own, with lashings of salt and malt vinegar, possibly a light top dressing of wind-blown sand if you’re on holiday, and uniquely attractive to seagulls.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Cambrian main line in the early 1970s.

Looking west from the bridge over Talerddig cutting:

no_weeds_700x840.jpg

From the hedge pattern on the distant hillside, I think I took this from the A470 about 1/2 mile north of Carno. Possibly from the occupation crossing, see:  https://goo.gl/maps/xPHb5Hvngi52

no_weeds_1120x800.jpg

Martin.

Those photos are more a matter of 'Can you remember what it used to be like in the British Isles?'   You simply, and unfortunately, don't see railway lines as tidily looked after as that anymore (with the possible exception of some stretches on preserved lines).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Those photos are more a matter of 'Can you remember what it used to be like in the British Isles?'.

Here's another pic from the same era which seems to be from a different British Isles. Maenofferen Slate Quarry, Blaenau Ffestiniog, in August 1969:

maenofferen_drum_1969_1140x760.jpg

What a great playground they had - school summer holidays, in the sunshine. I wonder where they are now, 50 years later. I hope they are ok.

Martin.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Here's another pic from the same era which seems to be from a different British Isles. Maenofferen Slate Quarry, Blaenau Ffestiniog, in August 1969:

maenofferen_drum_1969_1140x760.jpg

What a great playground they had - school summer holidays, in the sunshine. I wonder where they are now, 50 years later. I hope they are ok.

Martin.

I wonder if their grandkids will be allowed to play in a disused quarry today.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Staying with canals, this is Paper Mill Lock, near the middle of the Chelmer and Blackwater navigation. There is a tea room here and they do boat trips in the summer time. Very pleasant.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-86360900-1535732097_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

When on holiday.....staying on Portland Bill, in glorious British weather, when residing in a lighthouse (not this one obviously) but very close by......

post-20610-0-72661000-1535836528_thumb.jpg

this one in fact....and in the cottages attached......

post-20610-0-20858600-1535836733_thumb.jpg

Regards 

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 9

'Old Higher Lighthouse', with two typical lighthouse cottages, one of two original short lighthouses on Portland replaced in 1905 by the taller one as Portland suffers from low-lying mist during winter months. Hope you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful county. :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

'Old Higher Lighthouse', with two typical lighthouse cottages, one of two original short lighthouses on Portland replaced in 1905 by the taller one as Portland suffers from low-lying mist during winter months. Hope you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful county. :sungum:

Hi.....Here for this week....love it

Thanks

Bob

• Like 3