The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks

I vaguely remember seeing traffic movements associated with that site - an 08 on a trip from Kidder, and a 25 leaving traffic in the up OWW loop at Droitwich - did traffic leaving the site have to run to Droitwich to run round?

CHeers

Phil

It was a trailing connection from the Up Main in my day. There was no way back to Hartlebury. It may have been different before Elmley Lovett box was taken out (late 1960s?). The siding was connected to the Up Goods Loop which had a ground signal reading back through a crossover to the Down Main.

• RMweb Premium

It was a trailing connection from the Up Main in my day. There was no way back to Hartlebury. It may have been different before Elmley Lovett box was taken out (late 1960s?). The siding was connected to the Up Goods Loop which had a ground signal reading back through a crossover to the Down Main.

Looking at the Google view it looks as if the siding is still connected to the Up Goods Loop and the connection could still be there in the undergrowth.

Good old British eccentricity, 'Charlie's Folly', or mini Woodhenge. Built by the landlord of the pub we had lunch in today, after taking the dogs for a walk. 

attachicon.gifDSCF4534.JPG

Many a night has been spent removing beer from Charlies bar, along with putting up many marquees in the beer garden for various events.

• Like 2

I thought I'd have a go at posting possibly the oldest thing to feature on this thread so far:

post-9751-0-60864500-1461341816_thumb.jpg

The Old Man of Beacon Hill 700 million years in the making and still not finished yet. I think there also is an ape's or chimp's head to be seen if you squint a bit.

Taken earlier this week in Beacon Hill Country Park, NW Leicestershire. It is also the site of a Bronze Age Hill Fort.

• Like 8

Good reason not to be in the USA at the moment.

http://www.prophecynewswatch.com/article.cfm?recent_news_id=272

Just look at who's responsible for the publication - another bunch of Christian extremists, promising the end of the world ??? God save us, IS from the east, and this sort of thing from the west of us. We must ban all religions, to save our sanity - or what's left of it, 'doomed, doomed. we're all doomed'. :sungum:

Sorry, back to op.

• RMweb Gold

Just look at who's responsible for the publication - another bunch of Christian extremists, promising the end of the world ??? God save us, IS from the east, and this sort of thing from the west of us. We must ban all religions, to save our sanity - or what's left of it, 'doomed, doomed. we're all doomed'. :sungum:

Sorry, back to op.

Probably not the best link to put there but its on the news elsewhere and that link had a map that I had seen before on a documentary about what could happen.

Good old British eccentricity, 'Charlie's Folly', or mini Woodhenge. Built by the landlord of the pub we had lunch in today, after taking the dogs for a walk. 

attachicon.gifDSCF4534.JPG

The landlord built it after taking the dogs for a walk?

(Sorry I've been watching Leslie Nielsen in Police Squad and Airplane again!)

I wonder what archaeologists wil make of it in a couple of thousand years. 

Edited by Pacific231G

The landlord built it after taking the dogs for a walk?

(Sorry I've been watching Leslie Nielsen in Police Squad and Airplane again!)

Why wait a thousand years? I don't know what to make of it now... :scratchhead:

Good reason not to be in the USA at the moment.

http://www.prophecynewswatch.com/article.cfm?recent_news_id=272

"..... the "volcanic winter" that would result from a Yellowstone eruption would dramatically cool the planet.  Some have projected that global temperatures would decline by up to 20 degrees."

Look on the bright side, We can stop worrying about Global Warming!!

Methinks it may've rotted by then. :sungum:  

Perhaps a bit too subtle, but it is 'Hounstout Head' framed in the middle of the structure, in the far distance.

Edited by bike2steam

Methinks it may've rotted by then. :sungum:  

Post holes !It takes more than the timbers rotting away to defeat a good archaeologist and you'd be amazed at how much shows up from the air which is how Woodhenge was found. With only the post holes to go by and maybe a few glass "beakers" they'll have endless fun trying to figure out what was really there.  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

Post holes !It takes more than the timbers rotting away to defeat a good archaeologist and you'd be amazed at how much shows up from the air which is how Woodhenge was found. With only the post holes to go by and maybe a few glass "beakers" they'll have endless fun trying to figure out what was really there.  

No problem there, I've got the pictures and will store them safely for a future generation of archaeologists.  :whistle:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No problem there, I've got the pictures and will store them safely for a future generation of archaeologists.  :whistle:

Interesting thought, would archeology in a couple of hundred years time involve recovering data from old computers?

• RMweb Premium

Interesting thought, would archeology in a couple of hundred years time involve recovering data from old computers?

Before I retired we had already encountered this problem. Not so much from old computers as they had been taken away but we couldn't access the material produced by obsolete programs we no longer had, stored on outmoded media that we couldn't read. A two-volume proposed publication was so badly delayed due to lack of funding that it reached that state, although print-outs existed, and was eventually so out of date that the publication was abandoned.

Edited by petethemole