The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Premium

....great to see the T9 on the Severn Valley and on one of those magically misty Autumn mornings.

That's a great bit of video, wrecked on RMweb by the IPB programmers who have set the iframe size to 640x390 instead of 640x360. You must set an aspect ratio of exactly 16:9 to get it to play as such. Otherwise the YouTube player assumes 4:3 ratio.

It plays at the correct size on the YouTube page itself, and if you click this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h30v_anMAF8?html5=1&width=640&height=360

Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

Mornin' all,

Favourite Cornish destinations here...around St Mawes on the southern coast and around Padstow on the northern coast...a typical week sees us spend roughly half of the time in each. Try the open air restauraunt in Rock for great views of the Camel estuary and lovely food/beer.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 3

As we will be in Dorset in a weeks time, it seems to me that the pub in your signature would be the perfect spot to end a day. Thanks for the pointer!

Did you manage to get there, I hope you did, I spent an enjoyable lunch there today.

Did you manage to get there, I hope you did, I spent an enjoyable lunch there today.

Tis a long time since I was at the square. I lived and worked in the area including a few jobs at the pub, and putting up many a marquee in the grounds for them on behalf of the local scout and guide hut committee.

No, Alas. I had plans to visit it after a trip to Corfe Castle, but I was outvoted by the wife and kids. They wanted to go to the beach. Something do do with the weather and the temperatures...

But I enjoyed myself nonetheless, with views like this:

post-13158-0-49240900-1406484560_thumb.jpg

View from Eggardon Hill fort

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Here's a photo', near to Gate Helmsley(near Stamford Bridge, East Yorkshire). To the left is where the York to Market Weighton and Hull line used to run. I do like that tree, it is a lovely old example. Lovely sunny weather too!post-22631-0-67243300-1406495485.jpg

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 11

No, Alas. I had plans to visit it after a trip to Corfe Castle, but I was outvoted by the wife and kids. They wanted to go to the beach. Something do do with the weather and the temperatures...

But I enjoyed myself nonetheless, with views like this:

When the air is clear at Eggardon it has what is arguably the best view of any viewing point in the British Isles, along with it's 'sister' Maiden castle you can stand just admiring the views for a good length of time.

A couple of weeks ago I 'apologised' for including a photo that wasn't taken in the UK. Silly me, this thread is entitled ... in the British Isles and that includes Ireland! So, here's another, just to prove that it's not just the sunny blue sky days that do the trick for you.....

post-7952-0-33277900-1406619944_thumb.jpg

Continuing in the same vein, and to show that I haven't forgotten my roots, this is Bristol City Harbour on a misty morning in March of this year....

post-7952-0-88150400-1406619976_thumb.jpg

A little later that morning, the sun burnt off most of the mist, this is my current screen saver......

post-7952-0-98729100-1406619996_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

It was a fine summer's evening tonight, so I went for a wander along the Droitwich Barge Canal:

post-1103-0-23912700-1406759522.jpg

The canal was abandoned in 1939 and lay derelict for years. Lottery money helped the dream of restoring it to be realised, and it was reopened in 2010. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droitwich_Canal

Martin.

• Like 11

DLT, right on both counts.

I am just up from Caerfai Bay with Whitesands the alternate play ground around the corner. :sungum:

Been a lovely weekend here again with a drop or two of rain at the right time of day to keep the tourists happy.

• RMweb Premium

Any time I'm somewhere quiet and attractive (which includes feeling like there isn't somewhere big and noisy just out of sight). Sitting outside the pub in my parents' village (just outside the Lakes, so misses most of the tourist traffic that's helped turn that place into some sort of museum) on a nice summer evening, you just don't get that anywhere else in the world. A distant Scottish view where the only obvious signs of humanity are a few small specks is pretty impressive too.

Pity we seem hell-bent on spoiling as much of that as possible (stick up some wind turbines! build enough bland, characterless houses to treble the size of the place!) The continual gradual erosion of all the things that I love about Britain leaves me permamently angry and depressed.

Well I spent a nice lazy Sunday at a dog show in Church Knowle, one of my favourite locations, a nice little village that nestles in the middle of the beautiful valley between Corfe Castle, and Tyneham. My plan was to drop off the wife, and dogs, and walk just a 100 yards to the 'New Inn', but you know what hey say about best laid plans - I get talking and that's it. Our Leo, Merlin (avatar) had his bright yellow 'Pets As Therapy' vest on and it was like bees around the preverbial jam-pot.

ps. If you want proof of just how beautiful the area is, take the Google Maps little man for a walk down the road out of the village towards Kimmeridge. :-)

Edited by bike2steam