Β 

A while back I posted a couple of quick drawings of a future planned module, covering a steelworks "mini-mill" - whilst I can't start the module yet (waiting on a hopeful future house move) I have been gradually working on rolling stock.

Β 

I'd not got any sound loco's before, I decided that as the industry was big enough to demand an in plant switcher that was a good one choice for a first one! I went to Ally Pally with a "budget" of looking for a decent sound fitted switcher for under Β£100, I figured I might come home with one of the Bachmann Alco's - but found an Atlas CSX MP15DC on a secondhand stand...

Β 

First thoughts were to strip it and repaint - but in the end I went for modifying the original CSX paint, i've added a coat of a slightly lighter blue over the YN2 grey and blue, whilst leaving the yellow. The resulting livery isn't far off one that the Union RR uses. It gained a monstrous horn out of the bottom of my parts box, no idea what that was off originally!

Β 

A delve through the decal bin found some bits to finish it off - the slogan and stripes on the cab end (covering some CSX lettering) are from a Northern Pacific caboose, the flag if from Metra, and the numbers, Mopac!

Β 

DSC_0152-L.jpg

Β 

Lots still to do, the decals need setting in a little better, and some of the weathering isn't as subtle as i'd like, and I need to add more colour variation on the chassis.

Β 

DSC_0156-L.jpg

Β 

Shot today on the Western Union's modular layout down in Plymouth

Archived