Lincolnshire After Beeching by G R Jelly

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

I had a work trip to Lincoln last week - and lingered at the station a while soaking in the atmosphere and watching a few freights rumble through before boarding the little old Northern Rail 142 ...

Then on my journey home, which happened to go via Ian Allan Bookshop at Manchester, I came across a new book called Lincolnshire After Beeching by Graham Jelly, and published by Book Law.

It's a wonderful collection of really good quality colour photos of the late 1970s and early 1980s of lines around Lincolnshire, especially between Spalding and Lincoln, as well as to Boston and Skegness - some superb shots of class 20s and Deltics (and other locos) hauling passenger and freights around the county. There are lots of good shots of pre-Grouping and LNER infrastructure that was still around at that time, including signal boxes and signalling - and what I really like here is that many of these shots also have trains in them! Not just trackside stuff but traction too.

This all adds up to a very nice volume which for those of us who remember the county's railways back in the 1977-1982 period is a wonderful trip down memory lane. There are a handful of more recent views, but on the whole the book will appeal to modellers of BR Blue period, and the informative captions, all with dates and location details, will help in recreating those past scenes in model form.

cheers,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Had this at the top of my shopping list today and it hasn't disappointed. It's a superb collection of photos of the TOPS era in Lincs and demonstrates how it was still basically a steam age railway with diesel powered trains.

The shot of the TPO in the Kings Cross - Skegness train in 1979 was worth the cover price alone.

It would have been nice to have seen more of the pre-TOPS period but you can't have everything. Leaves the door open for another volume if the material exists.

Archived