NEW NJT ALP-45DP on the Raritan Valley Line

The new for NJT's Raritan Valley Line ALP-45DP  #4527 dual mode catenary/diesel arriving at Fanwood Station an hour ago.

This new loco allows certain services on this line to go directly to New York's Penn Station - for the first time ever. Built by the ubiquitous Bombardier in conjunction with the Agence Metropolitaine de Transport of Canada.

post-9016-0-18536600-1396819010_thumb.jpg

post-9016-0-32831600-1396819048_thumb.jpg

post-9016-0-96873900-1396819089_thumb.jpg

Apologies for heat-haze (what?) and slightly out of focus - this thing was booking when it arrived. It certainly is a big locomotive

Best, Pete.

Actually it was pretty quiet - but then he was coasting into the station - I never heard it under acceleration. Those big horns were loud! I know that, Craig!

Thanks for posting the photo I wondered exactly where the pantograph was located. Where did you find the specs?

Cheers, Pete.

With continuous electric power at rail of 5,360bhp it compares to a BR Class 90 at 5,000bhp (though I'm not sure where this measurement was taken at) and the Class 90 is not dual mode). At 130 tonnes it is considerably heavier than the Class 90 at 85 tonnes - not unexpectedly considering the two Caterpillar 351 12C diesel engines.

Impressive piece of kit - and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Best, Pete.

Impressive piece of kit - and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

In it's defence, I think the direct head-on aspect is probably its worst because you can't tell that the front does slope back. Even a bit of an angle (as in the Wiki) makes it look a bit more attractive.

Adrian

In it's defence, I think the direct head-on aspect is probably its worst because you can't tell that the front does slope back. Even a bit of an angle (as in the Wiki) makes it look a bit more attractive.

Adrian

Makes it easier to model.

Andy

It truly has been whacked a few times with an ugly stick. Does it only have diesel and catenary (no third-rail shoe like the Amtrak P32s)?

Adrian

Pretty sure NJT has no need of shoe gear, while it is a magnificent beast I'm guessing it means a gradual end for the GP40PH-2.

I guess the 100 second switchover mentioned in the wiki article answers my unasked question about whether the loco could work dual-mode if employed on the AC line (possible but impractical)

Archived