New book 'Stations in the 1980's'

kirtleypete

I have just published a new book called 'Stations in the 1980's which is available from Amazon for £12.95. 

There are 122 pages all in colour, and the chapters are as follows...

NOTTINGHAM

YEOVIL PEN MILL

SCOTLAND 1 - THE FAR NORTH LINE

CHARD JUNCTION

ACLE

SCOTLAND 2 - KYLE LINE & OTHERS

STROUD GWR

STROUD MR

SALHOUSE

CREWKERNE

EXETER ST DAVIDS

SCOTLAND 3 - WEST HIGHLAND, HAYMARKET, FORTH BRIDGE & OTHERS

OAKHAM.

All the pictures were taken between 1980 and 1985 and concentrate on the infrastructure as well as the trains. 

The cover and soem inside pages can be viewed on Amazon.  The book will be on  sale at the GOG show at Leigh at the end of April as will my others. 

Two more similar volumes will follow shortly,

Peter

The second book is now available, 'Stations in the 1980's and 1990's'. the cover and some inside pages can be viewed on Amazon; there are 114 pages all in colour and the price is £12.95. 

The contents are;  SLEAFORD, EVESHAM, CULHAM, APPLEDORE & HAM STREET, ERIDGE, MARCH, MORTIMER, BRAMLEY, FURNESS LINES, GOBOWEN, SPALDING, WELLINGBOROUGH, WARMINSTER, WILMCOTE & MELTON MOWBRAY.

The pictures were taken between 1985 and 1997. 

The third and last volume will cover stations in Kent & East Sussex. 

Peter

• RMweb Gold

For such a random collection of locations, I'm amazed how many I am familiar with and would find interesting!

However, I looked on Amazon and your book is shown as unavailable, and only the cover is visible, not any inside pages.  Also, in the Amazon description you don't list which stations are included - might be worth including that info.

Mal

Sorry Mal, it's because it's new, they take a few hours to get it all up and running. When the inside pages are on there it includes the contents page.

I have just published the third book as well now so all three should shortly be availble. The third one is 'Kent and East Sussex stations in the 1990's', 115 pages all in colour and again priced at £12.95. 

The contents are....STROOD TO PADDOCK WOOD, WYE, SHEERNESS, ASHFORD TO HASTINGS, SANDWICH, MAIDSTONE TO ASHFORD, CANTERBURY TO DOVER, HILDENBOROUGH, FAVERSHAM, THE HASTINGS LINE, MAIDSTONE EAST, SANDLING JUNCTION and RAMSGATE HARBOUR.

I know the last station closed in 1926, you'll have to buy the book to find out why it's included!

Peter

Thanks Mal!

I think Createspace is brilliant.

I use Microsoft Publisher to create the manuscript, then save it as a PDF file. This is uploaded to Createspace and that's almost all there is to it. The ISBN numbers are allocated automatically, there is software for creating the cover with templetes to use. You get the chance to proof it online or order a proof paper copy, then you can alter things as many times as you want to. When you're ready to go you publish and it's all done for you. You set the price you want, in pounds, dollars and euro's (they tell you the minimum it can be). You can upload to Kindle as well but I don't as the page layout is totally different and it doesn't suit this sort of book in my opinion.

The book is only available through Amazon, but you can order copies yourself at a very cheap rate which you can sell yourself or offer to booksellers. 

The books are printed to order so there are no stocks sitting waiting to be sold, and you get a royalty payment at the end of each month. Oddly orders from Amazon are printed in the UK, but copies the author orders come from the US! 

Amazon put on a picture of your cover, and show the first few interior pages as well.

The best thing is that there is no up-front cost to you whatsoever, they make their profit from copies that are sold. Author's income from Amazon is about 10% of the cover price as a rough guide, so we're not going to get rich, but that's not the reason for doing it. Obviously if you can sell copies yourself you will be able to make more, and you can charge a lower price if you want to. 

For me it was a way of making the photo's I have collected over the last thirty odd years available to anyone who is interested rather than them sitting here gathering dust.

Peter

Archived