• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, yes. But the point is, he didn't have a continuous run either.

Which would be why I suggested how it might be done, and where it could have been done on the original plan, not on some supposition of how I might have arranged the gradients. 
All academic anyway, as Dr. GF’s gradients preclude it.

10 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Which would be why I suggested how it might be done, and where it could have been done on the original plan, not on some supposition of how I might have arranged the gradients. 
All academic anyway, as Dr. GF’s gradients preclude it.

My gradients preclude nothing!  I shall have a mosey this afternoon, after i've finished pretending to work from home :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

These days my tastes would be for a different kind of BR52...

763009029_kissBr52.jpg.bdc9c706eec13146c63f90f02e3df6f4.jpg

Gauge 1 and only a smidge under three thousand coin of the realm... 

At that price I'd expect a straight buffer beam...

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

Hmmmm...

20201209_175426.jpg.f5b3597e59ec8d7a891d3ee62b474d3f.jpg

The double slip is just a stand-in, as it has the same footprint as the #6 crossing.

I think there's enough room at the other end, the grade starts just beyond the signal box so there's only a few mil difference at that point.

I'll see if anyone has any Peco 83 track tomorrow, but I suspect it won't get done until next year.

• Like 4

As well as the Great Cut off, the other Big Project for 2021 is to build a decent locomotive facility.  Or Bahnbetriebswerk as it should more properly be called... 

There needs to be some 'air rights' taken from the central benchwork, in order to reclaim land on which to build the roundhouse and turntable.  As it will be designed around the t/t, I can incorporate a proper well table and retire the old Dapol bridge type which is not very German.

I spent a happy hour knocking bits of plastic together to get a sense of the thing.

20201215_173456.jpg.ffc1420a03550ecbe5363baee25becde.jpg

There will be 9 stalls in total, or at least, that's the plan.  Plus the usual coal, water and ash facilities.  This will address the itch caused by a photo in the 1975 Arnold catalogue

roundhouse.jpg.c143fe24a3707e23a263b36beed515db.jpg

After 45 years, I deserve the roundhouse my 11 year old self wanted so much! And all those gorgeous black and red steamers to fill it.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Talking of gorgeous black and red steamers...

20201217_181120.jpg.0c46fe2ccae3913caa0d99e203a0d6ad.jpg

What's particularly impressive for me is that these are all vintage mid 80s-90s models. 

Yo Doc

Are you sure what direction you are going? :dontknow:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, long island jack said:

It will still be there, just in overseas modelling

True, and still well worth following looking by the way the good Dr. is currently heading.  It just gets more complicated for new folk to find things.  But, as I often say in my professional work: life isn’t linear.

Edit: looks like “The Eagle has landed” in Overseas Modelling - makes sense, and Christmas wishes granted early.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Edit: “The Eagle has landed”
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

What's particularly impressive for me is that these are all vintage mid 80s-90s models. 

Yep - those of us who were fed up with the standard UK 00 offerings of that time either:-

1) looked to the Continent or, 2) if we were poor and/or couldn't be bothered to learn a foreign language, we looked to the USA... ;) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I did some fettling around the station this afternoon.  The building and platforms are at the correct height and some track was tweaked accordingly.

20201221_172848.jpg.6aefb8b7bb3fc83537f8a6776b7348fc.jpg

The goods yard will be altered once the Dapol turntable has been removed, so it will be tender first running for a while.

20201221_173426.jpg.010cf01346e54869942c1b7f1b67edbd.jpg

There's room for a decent freight shed and sidings where the current loco servicing area is. A good project for 2021.

• Like 4