Β 

My HO switching shelf - Brett, ID

Could you describe a little bit more how you operate your shelf layout? I am wondering whether all your cars stay on the layout and you move them to new locations specified by the program? Or, do you have a stock of cars off the layout and you move them on or off according to the instructions?

Β 

I enjoyed looking at your blog, both the photos and what you've written; I have not looked at all your posts. I'll save them for when I am at a loose end in a cafe and want an enjoyable read.

Β 

Mike

Gosh.. questions!! (I appreciate the interest, thanks all)

Β 

The lumber loads are a test-print.. I knocked up a design in Libre Office drawing package (free!) and printed on to thin card to test the size. The plan is to Β reprint and mount onto something more robust.

Β 

Points (turnouts) are actually very low-tech. They are Peco code 100 insulfrogs (pauses to wait for screams and general moans of disquiet to subside).. I used these to simplify wiring basically. I wired in jumpers to improve the flow of juices to the switch rails, and with the US locos I don't generally have any issues with stalling. Anyway, they are operated by five finger digital control. My index finger, applied directly to point without any mechanical or electrical bits added. The switch stands are purely for show and were bought in kit form from Model junction recently.. made by Central Valley.

Β 

Operating.. I store all my stock off layout in a drawer just under it. I use the free Mac program 'SwitchList' to generate the trains in and out of Brett. At the end of a session (when I have completed the switching), I remove the stock from the fiddle track, leave everything else where it is. The next switch list is generated and I make up the train (usually three cars) on the fiddle to start the next session. So, there is an off layout 'rest of the world' that stock travels to and from.

• 4 weeks later...

More Q's..... does that SwitchList program "follow on" from one list to the next? In other words does a new list generated have the spotted cars from the previous list still in position? I tried a program once but it always drew up a new list from scratch, which was a bit frustrating.

.... oh and is that program available for Linux, anyone?.... :scratchhead:

More Q's..... does that SwitchList program "follow on" from one list to the next? In other words does a new list generated have the spotted cars from the previous list still in position? I tried a program once but it always drew up a new list from scratch, which was a bit frustrating.

.... oh and is that program available for Linux, anyone?.... :scratchhead:

Β 

It does 'follow on'.. You have to spend a little time at the outset setting up your industries - specifying loads, car types and frequencies. I keep tweaking it because I do find that I'll get, for example, lots more traffic to the team track than I would expect, in relation to say the lumber business. But for free, I'm not complaining! Don't know if it's available for Linux.. I think it's just OSX at the moment.

• 5 months later...

Brief update. Not been very active modelling railways of late (historical wargaming has been taking up more time) however, Brett is still operated fairly regularly and I'm surprised how long it's lasted! (I often break up layouts as soon as they're built, being mostly about the process of making than operating). Turned out to be perfect for the odd hour of switching here and there. Colin Woolley persuaded me to get another video posted, so I have done one featuring the main motive power, the RS27, YPRR 902 .

http://youtu.be/2tZ53IqUiR8

The Switchlist prgram allows you to print off some quite nice reports actually, Cars, Industries etc..
Β I've just posted an update to the blog with some screenshots of the reports which probably describe it best..http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/switchlist.html

Β 

By the way Andrew.. I've just connected your name - I have a few of your plans saved.. very inspirational.. Iota in particular has been one on my 'could build' list for a while!

ah.. I am enjoying the 'thrills' of being between jobs too at the moment.

Β 

Spots.. I use mostly 50ft cars.

Β 

I planned to allow 1 loco+2 cars (or 3 cars) as an ideal length for each spur to allow switching moves. The 'interchange' or fiddle track at front is the same.

Β 

The actual spots are less..

Β 

The Switchlist program allows you to input spur length so..

Β 

Northwest Lumber 110 ft (2 cars)

Team track 60 ft (1 car) -

Co-op Elevator 165 ft (3 cars)

Smith&Hogg 60 ft (1 car)

• 1 year later...

Archived