Waddon Marsh Revived!

Pete 75C

Sympathise with the lack of track availability,but at risk of playing the martyr card too early,my nearest model shop is in Swansea-a touch under 60 miles each way......A lot of diesel for a wasted journey..

Pete:-R.E flash units & the like-just picked up latest Hornby mag-has a How to do on lighting & shoe spark units for 2-Bil-which apparently has a link to a vid clip of the same in action-havnt looked myself- is at the hornbymagazine site-might be worth a glance before you put hand to wallet..... 

Regards to all

Nick

Thanks Nick. It looks like the same module that was fitted to a Limited Edition Lord & Butler 2EPB a while back. A quick glance at the video shows the LED looking a little weak and a touch on the blue side. Worth looking into though... Managed to get the last 7 lengths of Peco SL100F at the BVR model shop in Aylsham which I reckon *might* be enough for the scenic board. Famous last words... I'm now strengthening the baseboard surface at the joins by cutting away a little of the cork and inserting some thin hardwood strips ready for the first track sections. With the track loosely pinned in place, I'll be able to mark out and cut the platforms. In reality, the island platform at Waddon Marsh is (was) dead straight and quite wide. Due to limits on baseboard width and length, the model platform won't be quite as wide and may have to taper away towards the ramps at each end. I won't know for sure until the track's in place. Pete.

Following this project with interest as Waddon Marsh was one of my future layouts. As I grew up in the area, I went to Trinity School of John Whitgift, the line was used regularly by the Railway Society to see steam at Wimbledon. We also went to Croydon A and B Power Stations to see the industrial locos. Despite their size those Pecketts at Croydon B were powerful. 

The Gas Works locos always seemed to be out of use. However there were steam cranes on at least two spurs after Waddon Marsh before Beddington Lane. If I remember correctly there were Engineering Sidings on the London side where I saw a W class on ballast wagons. Was this used as a dump for spent ballast? 

The coal workings to Croydon B used Norwood Junction locos but were foreign locos used if they were on shed? 

East Croydon had an E2 and an 01 (SECR) as station pilot so there is an excuse to use these as well. 

Trojan Cars were built in Croydon and I thought these were sent by rail but I have not seen any photos. 

Also a "friend" with Tony McDiarmid through Japanese N Gauge but have not spoken to him for some time

Malcolm. 

• Like 1

Evening gentlemen all-

Pete-Glad the tip was of small use RE the lighting units-RE tapered platforms,getting a flavour of Haven St on the IoW-just shooting the breeze here but given the limited space,If I was building this (yup,another do it this way post...) and bearing in mind you already have the hardware,would go for the short Y points at each end,poss. a long Y for the X-over to the goods line and lay the whole thing out as a pair of mirror image transition curves from the platform mid point,give the smoothest poss. S-curve effect at each end. 

Also,given the amount of compression of length involved,a little compression of width might well improve the overall proportions...Its not like the platform will be crowded to capacity ( can honestly never recall seeing a single soul waiting there)-Might complicate the platform building process but make clearances easier to manage-just idle thoughts....... 

On a slight digression,you mention cork-have used this on my current alternative project ( a refresher from the great monster that lurks in the top shed) -have used old floor tiles with the sealed side down,makes a lovely smooth base,about to start adding scenic material but have heard horror stories from friends on the Model Railroader site about it absorbing all & any moisture from water based glues (PVA etc) and bubbling ,rippling & generally misbehaving-had always assumed it was a fairly inert substance-would value your opinion -should I slap a coat of sealant on,just to be on the safe side ??

Malcolm-Whitgift Trinity ??-The memory fails,but would that have been the middle school ?-the infamous `Midwives`-we used to play them regularly and anything less than 60-0 down at half time was regarded as a moral victory........Used to live near the old Peckett works in Fishponds,Bristol and almost all the pubs & cafes have pictures on the wall of those lovely little tanks-is a subject of much local pride-& rightly so...

Had several late night conversations with Tony BITD about the peculiar merits of Japanese 2mm modelling-sadly,never found common ground-was always an eccentric ( in the best sense of the word)-he used to ride a 550 Honda tricked out with Harley Sportster fittings,bored out to 590cc and badged as a `Hagley Duvidson`-most of the Triumph & Norton riding mouth breathers just didn't get it...at all....

Right,time to put out the bins,speak soon

ATB

Nick

Malcolm, although I'd heard of Trojan Cars, I had no idea the factory was off the Purley Way, I've heard of Trojan Way, so it's now pretty obvious where that road got its name from!

Nick, I'm afraid the track is partly laid but the good news is that it works (just). The platform side in the Croydon direction will be dead straight with the Wimbledon platform having a very gentle curve for some of its length. There was me thinking 6ft for a 2 coach platform was ample! Not for an island platform on a single line when you have to feature the points at either end... I've added a "work in progress" shot below but hopefully when all the track is down and the platform is built then we'll know if it's been a success or not. The slightly un-prototypical track plan was always going to be the biggest compromise and it looks like it may be the first of many...

Re the cork tiles, I've always used them sealed (shiny) side down but I've always made sure that any part of the unsealed top side that will get a soaking (ie: the trackbed) has a couple of dilute coats of PVA as a sealer. I usually glue the track directly using PVA anyway prior to ballasting. No past problems to report whatsoever. I can, however, imagine that unsealed, the cork could act very much like a sponge...The first time I used cork tiles, I made the mistake of thinking wallpaper paste would be sufficient to stick them to the ply. That didn't work, so undiluted PVA is now used.

post-17811-0-34271900-1395996508_thumb.jpg

The soup is not to fend of a hunger attack, the cans are used on strips of MDF to add some weight to the track sections as the PVA sets!

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

Yes, Malcolm, Trojan used their sidings for materials inwards and vehicles and parts outwards. Philips too used their siding. I worked for London Carriers in 1957 so was involved with Philips logistics in the UK. Already much of their UK manufacturing was being moved up north. So that leaves open the extent of traffic in Pete's 1970s period. Certainly OK for steam!!! I do recall seeing the tops of cranes at Beddington Lane Sidings through the houses and trees that bordered Mitcham Common when I went to Beddington Lane Halt. I find the area used by the Engineers have from time to time been referred to as the 'bridge works' presumably the ample open land was good for trial construction of girder and pointwork.

Pleased to meet another Mid-Whitgiftian. I used run on the school track there in matches against them and an old friend Mike Fleet. Small world! Colin.

Malcolm, although I'd heard of Trojan Cars, I had no idea the factory was off the Purley Way, I've heard of Trojan Way, so it's now pretty obvious where that road got its name from!

Nick, I'm afraid the track is partly laid but the good news is that it works (just). The platform side in the Croydon direction will be dead straight with the Wimbledon platform having a very gentle curve for some of its length. There was me thinking 6ft for a 2 coach platform was ample! Not for an island platform on a single line when you have to feature the points at either end... I've added a "work in progress" shot below but hopefully when all the track is down and the platform is built then we'll know if it's been a success or not. The slightly un-prototypical track plan was always going to be the biggest compromise and it looks like it may be the first of many...

Re the cork tiles, I've always used them sealed (shiny) side down but I've always made sure that any part of the unsealed top side that will get a soaking (ie: the trackbed) has a couple of dilute coats of PVA as a sealer. I usually glue the track directly using PVA anyway prior to ballasting. No past problems to report whatsoever. I can, however, imagine that unsealed, the cork could act very much like a sponge...The first time I used cork tiles, I made the mistake of thinking wallpaper paste would be sufficient to stick them to the ply. That didn't work, so undiluted PVA is now used.

attachicon.gifwaddon_004.jpg

The soup is not to fend of a hunger attack, the cans are used on strips of MDF to add some weight to the track sections as the PVA sets!

Pete, you do not have to widen your board for the Trojan traffic!!! The factory closed in the early 1970s, its business having run-down from its heydays of producing vans, personel carriers, trucks, buses, mini-motors for cycles, Lambretta scooters, Heinkel bubblecars (Trojan 200), Elva sports cars and finally McLaren racing cars, from 1948 to 1970. I suspect that by 1965 to 1970 movements had finally gone over to road transport.

Colin, I couldn't widen the board even if I wanted to! I am absolutely maxed out for usable width at 18". Backscene painting today.

Pete, is your backscene board high enough for the pair of Croydon A's cooling towers??? Or are you leaving that to a future board so just sticking to the Waddon Marsh estate houses? Good job the refuse plant was not built then as you might get complaints when you switch to DCCSmell!!! Colin.

Pete, is your backscene board high enough for the pair of Croydon A's cooling towers??? Or are you leaving that to a future board so just sticking to the Waddon Marsh estate houses? Good job the refuse plant was not built then as you might get complaints when you switch to DCCSmell!!! Colin.

Pete, have you the backscene details of the estate? If not, I have to go to Sainsburys Purley Way this week and I can photo it from the tram stop and path. Colin.

Pete, is your backscene board high enough for the pair of Croydon A's cooling towers?

No, Croydon A won't feature, but the plan is to include (from left to right) the pathway from the Purley Way road bridge down to the footbridge as well as the backs of the estate houses and then a representation of the gasholders before the goods and passenger line exit right. Painting the backscenes went reasonably well using my usual "base coat and then dab and stipple" method and tracklaying/wiring is virtually complete on the main board. The track will then get an overall spray of Humbrol 29 acrylic which has long been my "dirt" colour of choice. I then need to scribe and build the platform, add ballast and then 3rd rail. I must also "mock up" the road bridge, footbridge and gasholders to see what it all looks like. Pete.

Pete, have you the backscene details of the estate? If not, I have to go to Sainsburys Purley Way this week and I can photo it from the tram stop and path. Colin.

That would be useful, I only have some long distance shots of the house backs. My scratchbuilding skills are relatively limited and the houses will only be a representation, not an exact copy, but it would be great to have a good reference to work from. If you could take a shot or two, that would be great. Many thanks, Pete.

OK, the track is finally all in place, tested and weathered. The backscenes have turned out "fair to ok", but that's fine - I'm not an artist and I don't want them to stand out and take centre stage. I'm a little disappointed at the severity of the taper in the West Croydon end of the platform, but given the space available it was the only solution, especially as I needed to leave space at the Beddington Lane end for the signal box. The platform is actually "Mk3" as the first couple of attempts didn't quite work in my view. The final effort used the ubiquitous Peco concrete edging. A very thin layer of flexible tile adhesive was spread over the surface between the edging using an old steel rule. I discovered by accident many moons ago that if you speed up the drying process of the filler by using a hair drier, cracks appear in the surface as the filler dries too quickly. This can be used to advantage if you're looking to replicate an aged tarmac surface. At the moment, the cracks are too pronounced, but with some careful weathering and the addition of a concrete pad for the platform shelter and a few weeds, I'm hoping it will look ok. I'm aware that it's not an exact copy of the real thing (the shape's wrong for a start), but if the finished article gives off the right impression, I'm happy. The platform capacity is exactly a 2EPB, no more, no less. With hindsight, an extra foot on board length would have made things so much easier!
The next logical progression would be to ballast, then add the third rail, but I think I'll get the bridge supports in place and build up the landform a little.
More soon, Pete.

post-17811-0-24030800-1396519102.jpg

post-17811-0-62648200-1396519103.jpg

post-17811-0-23339600-1396519105.jpg

post-17811-0-68404400-1396519106.jpg

post-17811-0-31025500-1396519108.jpg

post-17811-0-84833900-1396519109.jpg

post-17811-0-26609300-1396519111.jpg

• Like 8

OK, the track is finally all in place, tested and weathered. The backscenes have turned out "fair to ok", but that's fine - I'm not an artist and I don't want them to stand out and take centre stage. I'm a little disappointed at the severity of the taper in the West Croydon end of the platform, but given the space available it was the only solution, especially as I needed to leave space at the Beddington Lane end for the signal box. The platform is actually "Mk3" as the first couple of attempts didn't quite work in my view. The final effort used the ubiquitous Peco concrete edging. A very thin layer of flexible tile adhesive was spread over the surface between the edging using an old steel rule. I discovered by accident many moons ago that if you speed up the drying process of the filler by using a hair drier, cracks appear in the surface as the filler dries too quickly. This can be used to advantage if you're looking to replicate an aged tarmac surface. At the moment, the cracks are too pronounced, but with some careful weathering and the addition of a concrete pad for the platform shelter and a few weeds, I'm hoping it will look ok. I'm aware that it's not an exact copy of the real thing (the shape's wrong for a start), but if the finished article gives off the right impression, I'm happy. The platform capacity is exactly a 2EPB, no more, no less. With hindsight, an extra foot on board length would have made things so much easier!

The next logical progression would be to ballast, then add the third rail, but I think I'll get the bridge supports in place and build up the landform a little.

More soon, Pete.

Pete,  Looking Good.  Is the idea to shunt wagons up the Gas Works incline and leave them on the level section at the top?  Looking forward to the third rail appearing.

Pete,  Looking Good.  Is the idea to shunt wagons up the Gas Works incline and leave them on the level section at the top?  Looking forward to the third rail appearing.

Yeah, for some added "play factor". Just a short consist at a time. There's also just about enough room in the short spur for an industrial and a spare brake van. Pete.

Pete,

Stupid question and late in the day.  When you chose the viewing side, what made you choose to have the gas Works at the front?

Not stupid at all... in my mind the gasworks and incline will partially serve as a view blocker for the West Croydon end* without adding a fictitious road bridge. You'll look over the incline towards the gas holders on the opposite side of the line. In all honesty, I could have reversed it and used the gas holders as a view blocker. I just quite like it this way round! Pete.

Edit: * A strategic and fictitious tree might be called for too...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1