Uckfield - The Oxted Line.

Jack00

• RMweb Gold

I was scanning in old negatives only last week of Sanderstead station a few days after the booking office had a fire. This SECR structure was eventually demolished to be replaced with a modern brick building

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

This SECR structure was eventually demolished to be replaced with a modern brick building

Part of my portfolio in  NSE days, this was an early implementation of architect John Fellows's design, which was buildable, maintainable and passed muster in any community, if a little anodyne to some.

The signalbox at Sanderstead was at the northern end of the down platform - the signalman let me in one day when I was a kid. I've no idea how large the area it controlled was because of the box at South Croydon. Probably just used for the Elmers End terminating trains.

• RMweb Gold

It controlled the area between Selsdon and Upper Warlingham.

Selsdon box was abolished some time after the Elmers End branch closed so it may then have controlled up to South Croydon box but not too sure.

Selsdon Box was the fringe to South Croydon under the 1955 resignalling, so presumably closed when the branch did. Sanderstead was important in maintaining peak hour headways on the Oxted Line, even after it had no train reversals to control. I think BLRS (Brighton Line Resignalling) meant that Three Bridges took over South Croydon about 1983/4, so Sanderstead would have fringed with that panel. Oxted new panel took over all the route, I think in about 1987?

• 5 years later...

Hi I know this topic is pretty old but I have only just found it!

At the Bridge Cottage Heritage Centre in Uckfield we are staging an exhibition on the growth of Uckfield with the coming of the railway in 1857.  as part of the exhibition we want to have an area dedicated to the railway.

We have a plan of the station as it was in 1867 but its only in an A5 size!  This plan was traced from drawings in the archives under Waterloo station in the early '80s but that archive has long since gone!

Early in this thread somebody said that they had BR drawings and I'm wondering if they are still available and in a scanable condition?

Any help appreciated