Sheffield (Midlands Station Layout)

Sheffield Midlands

Things are moving along with my build...all be it slowly! It seems that everyone takes an age to get quotes back to me for various things such as laser cutting etc.

Anyway, I now have 8 of the 10 1800x600x100 sub baseboards built that will carry the mosaic pattern of jigsaw pieces that will hold the track etc. They are formed from tops of 12mm birch ply and all crossmembers are 18mm Eucalyptus ply. The undersides of the tops are routed out by 2mm to create a dado join with the sides and cross members. Once constructed they are surprisingly light and sturdy but further drilling and removal will reduce the weight further. I can shift 2 at a time around quite happily through a loft hatch etc.

post-22273-0-70555100-1399995433.png

Rather than the traditional "lots of square/rectangular" baseboards, I have opted for the tougher option of lots of odd shaped pieces that stand 80mm off the sub-baseboard.

post-22273-0-59163500-1399994878_thumb.jpg

My the platforms, bridges, retaining walls etc will all plugging on. That way I can hide joins as best as possible without a major fault line running across any part of the layout with joins hidden by cable trunking, platforms. You can see the arrangement below on the AutoCAD screenshot.

I have a jig built now to deal with the 2 bolt holes and patternmakers alignment dowels and I am very pleased that the 25mm Forstner bit for recessing the dowels fits my router so I can ensure that all holes are drilled perfectly perpendicular.

Eventually I will get the quotes back to laser cut the 12mm Green (moisture resistant) MDF and work will commence on building the individual jigsaw pieces.

Next update soon!

69C6C3C6-66D7-4C68-8A0C-806BE8E749A6.jpeg

Edited by Sheffield Midlands
  • Like 1

Beast, looking at the first picture, it states in the text that the bay between platforms 2 and 5 at the south end was to be worked by a 3 lever ground frame released by the PSB. Do you know when this was changed to a passenger bay, the present platform 2c?

• RMweb Gold

Beast, looking at the first picture, it states in the text that the bay between platforms 2 and 5 at the south end was to be worked by a 3 lever ground frame released by the PSB. Do you know when this was changed to a passenger bay, the present platform 2c?

I don't I'm afraid - sorry.

This is looking good. I shall be watching with interest. I was actually looking at Sheffield as my next project about a year ago. Id had the plan for a mid 80s version running around my head since about 1994 and thought I'd go for it. It was that or Millers Dale and under pressure to do something with 'nice' scenery I ended up in the peak. Im liking the look of this so far though! How long does your plan work out at? When I was looking I needed at least 16ft in N for a true to size layout which would be approx 32ft in OO.

Edited by RBE

Originally I had 7.5m available to fit the station in but like most modellers I eventually gave in to the need for accuracy and detail and consequently had the water tanks moved from the middle of my loft to give me around 15m x 5m to play with.

The station area from tunnel mouth to tunnel mouth fits quite nicely within 9m (27ft) with 3ft radius curves at each end without losing any amount of length off any of the station area between the tunnel mouths at all. This will make it a 100% scale model.

The use of Templot to draw out accurate point work which will all be hand built has proved invaluable.

The baseboards have all been very carefully designed in AutoCAD to ensure joins are tight and as hidden away as possible - not easy with the complex track formation at each end of the station. The laser cutters are also going to etch the track work onto the MDF to do away with paper plans stuck to the top. It's a shame that it will all end up buried under cork/foam and ballast. I'm no engineer but probably should have been!

Hoping to have all 10 sub baseboards completed this weekend so I will be able to lay them all out and join them up for a real sense of the size.

Still time to convert to P4 too if I am going to be as accurate as possible!

• RMweb Gold

Still time to convert to P4 too if I am going to be as accurate as possible!

Go on, you know you want to :)

It would be good to see another large P4 layout being built, it will be interesting to see how the baseboards work out, if I decide to make South Pelaw an exhibition layout I'm considering a similar jigsaw construction.

John

Does anyone know what the building at the north end of platform 6/8 is used for? It seems to be used by Northern, at least it had some Northern Hi viz visible through the window.

For modelling purpose note that while the doors and window grills are dark (EMT or Northern?) blue, the soffits are MML green

Does anyone know what the building at the north end of platform 6/8 is used for? It seems to be used by Northern, at least it had some Northern Hi viz visible through the window.

For modelling purpose note that while the doors and window grills are dark (EMT or Northern?) blue, the soffits are MML green

I am lead to believe that it is the managers/administrators/drivers/guards office/rest area for Northern rail services from and to Nottingham

When I worked there in the days of regi rail, the units used to come into platforms 6 & 8 at night to be cleaned, then a driver used to shunt them out the south end, back into the fuel road, before stabling them in either the siding between 1 & 2 or putting them into the fish dock sidings. The fish docks were falling to bits, and had at least 2 times the track spread under the units. Sometimes, when it was working, the units might even go though the wash, which is on the old dive under line next to the Mcdonnalds on farm road.

Just stumbled across this topic. Its looking good so far, I'm looking forward to watching it progress.

Interesting construction you have for the baseboards there, I've never seen anything like it before.

Nice catch with the staging, it will provide you with a great surface to sit the layout on.

Heinz

• Like 1

Well.....what a stroke of luck I have had this morning! My son's school has 4 of these that they are getting rid of:

subframes.png

8ft by 4ft folding stage that stand 3ft high, interlock together to form a 32ft x 4ft (9.75 x 1.2m) stage. All on wheels and fold for storage/transportation and come with black curtains that attach to the sides. Perfect for the sub baseboard!

How do you get them into your loft? Edited by Talltim

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well.....what a stroke of luck I have had this morning! My son's school has 4 of these that they are getting rid of:

attachicon.gifsubframes.png

8ft by 4ft folding stage that stand 3ft high, interlock together to form a 32ft x 4ft (9.75 x 1.2m) stage. All on wheels and fold for storage/transportation and come with black curtains that attach to the sides. Perfect for the sub baseboard!

3 foot high? Isn't that on the low side?

• RMweb Gold

Somehow managed to miss this thread.

Your layout is set 40/50 years too late for me, that was my spotting era, plenty of pics taken, summer saturdays, several signalboxes, loco stabling, station pilots both jockos and Brush 2's, jumpers for goalposts etc etc!!!

Will now be paying attention.

Mike.