Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

Sadly I have to report that the Merchant Navy I was working on, had a fatal accident - when it slipped out of my hands as I was bringing it out the loft :(

In the meantime I have another blog entry up:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/135/entry-20561-yet-another-slightly-smaller-build-hawker-sea-fury-fb11/

Ah, it is a particularly difficult thing to describe, that feeling when you drop a model.  The English language does not have words for it, even swear words don't quite work.

My last adventure into that mixture of surprise, shock and numb horror was a carefully detailed weathered Hornby T9 which leapt from my lap onto a tile floor and exploded into bits. For about 2 seconds it's as if time is frozen....

Will the Merchant Navy be able to be resurrected in any form? 

• RMweb Gold

Ah, it is a particularly difficult thing to describe, that feeling when you drop a model.  The English language does not have words for it, even swear words don't quite work.

My last adventure into that mixture of surprise, shock and numb horror was a carefully detailed weathered Hornby T9 which leapt from my lap onto a tile floor and exploded into bits. For about 2 seconds it's as if time is frozen....

Perhaps toboldlygo could enter the remains as part of a "Barry Island Scrapyard" Cakebox Challenge diorama?

Scurries off.....

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

9 and a half feet was a long way to fall, she will need a new loco body, keeper plate, front bogie and a few other bits, but she will be rebuilt eventually - when I get the spares.

In the meantime I have another Merchant Navy on the way, along with an A4, another Grange (with a Churchward tender) and a Heljan Diesel...

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps toboldlygo could enter the remains as part of a "Barry Island Scrapyard" Cakebox Challenge diorama?

Scurries off.....

Burning at the stake would be to quick for you...

Perhaps the modern equivalent of the Four Winds would be more appropriate ;) :P

9 and a half feet was a long way to fall, she will need a new loco body, keeper plate, front bogie and a few other bits, but she will be rebuilt eventually - when I get the spares.

In the meantime I have another Merchant Navy on the way, along with an A4, another Grange (with a Churchward tender) and a Heljan Diesel...

Ouch! Is it an original MN or rebuilt?   

My current Blue Period has me looking forward to the BR blue original MN. The symptoms are fading though, I found myself rather liking to look of a Bachmann A1 in Brunswick green yesterday, and bought another 60158 'Aberdonian' to replace one I had back c2008 (and which ran fine... no motor issues even with 6-7 Mk1s on).

• RMweb Gold

Burning at the stake would be to quick for you...

Perhaps the modern equivalent of the Four Winds would be more appropriate ;) :P

Not at all!

A cameo role at Barry Island would imply redemption and restoration!

Its not as if I went so far as to suggest modelling the gas axe gang lopping tender parts off the distressed loco......

• RMweb Gold

Ouch! Is it an original MN or rebuilt?   

My current Blue Period has me looking forward to the BR blue original MN. The symptoms are fading though, I found myself rather liking to look of a Bachmann A1 in Brunswick green yesterday, and bought another 60158 'Aberdonian' to replace one I had back c2008 (and which ran fine... no motor issues even with 6-7 Mk1s on).

Modified - rebuilt is such a dirty word to those who support the MiM..

• RMweb Gold

Not at all!

A cameo role at Barry Island would imply redemption and restoration!

Its not as if I went so far as to suggest modelling the gas axe gang lopping tender parts off the distressed loco......

Oops you just did ;) :P

• RMweb Gold

I would take a Bulleid Pacific over any Stanier Pacific and certainly any of Gresley's carbuncles.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

It's as I predicted earlier. The Merchant Navy is good but the Stanier pacific is slightly better. :)

If you send me your Stanier, I will happily drop it from the same height and see how many bits it ends up in. I will also conduct the test with any Fowler/Collett/Churchward/Gresley/Thompson/Peppercorn/Urie/Maunsell or Drummond loco ;) :P

Edited by toboldlygo

If you send me your Stanier, I will happily drop it from the same height and see how many bits it ends up in. I will also conduct the test with any Fowler/Collett/Churchward/Gresley/Thompson/Peppercorn/Urie/Maunsell or Drummond loco ;) :P

You've left the Ivatt's out of your list. ;)

I dropped a Triang Hornby blue Coronation Streamliner from standing in my loft, through the hatch onto the landing floor, which would have been around 11' many years ago. I watched it go through the opening and hit the landing floor nose first. The body came off but surprisingly the only thing wrong with it, was where the body screw thread coil fits under the chimney area, the plastic had sheared off but no visual damage to the outside of the body. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You've left the Ivatt's out of your list. ;)

I dropped a Triang Hornby blue Coronation Streamliner from standing in my loft, through the hatch onto the landing floor, which would have been around 11' many years ago. I watched it go through the opening and hit the landing floor nose first. The body came off but surprisingly the only thing wrong with it, was where the body screw thread coil fits under the chimney area, the plastic had sheared off but no visual damage to the outside of the body. :)

Ivatt's are rare on my workbench :P

As the body on a Triang loco is quite thick and the chassis quite solid - I'm surprised you didn't have a dent in the landing floor  :jester:  :jester:

I do think however that one or two of Heljan's diesels  may cause structural damage if you dropped them out the loft..

• RMweb Gold

Only problem with Hornby's Standard 4MT's, they wouldn't survive a 9 and half foot drop, they'd be a big pile of parts. :jester: :jester:

Is that before you dropped them or after ?

Any chance of a post fall picture.. how did it fair up ?

I’ve a ton of Bulleid parts here, indeed I think all i’m Missing to make a new MN is a chassis+motor block... I’ve got 2x sets of driving wheels (both have a broken screw in the speedo-wheel), MN motion, MN cylinders, front bogies, MN body, WC tender, chassis keeper plate with pickups...

not quite sure how Ive accumulated such a myriad of spares, having never broken one up... well actually I do... I tend to buy the part, then take on the challenge of fixing the original, and keep the redundant spare just in case... done repairs to 34088/34051/35005/ 35027 & 35028 this way.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is that before you dropped them or after ?

Any chance of a post fall picture.. how did it fair up ?

I’ve a ton of Bulleid parts here, indeed I think all i’m Missing to make a new MN is a chassis+motor block... I’ve got 2x sets of driving wheels (both have a broken screw in the speedo-wheel), MN motion, MN cylinders, front bogies, MN body, WC tender, chassis keeper plate with pickups...

not quite sure how Ive accumulated such a myriad of spares, having never broken one up... well actually I do... I tend to buy the part, then take on the challenge of fixing the original, and keep the redundant spare just in case... done repairs to 34088/34051/35005/ 35027 & 35028 this way.

Still too traumatized to look at it too closely atm,she definitely needs a new step on the tender, but the loco needs at least a new body, keeper plate and front bogey.

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, I don't think anything would survive 11ft, even onto carpet with a decent underlay!  Even running off the end of a 3ft bench is generally terminal (Make sure those buffer stops are adequately secured!).  Talking about drops, have a look at the thread on the new Heljan Class 26 locos - a number have been delivered with huge cracks in the cab front due to impact in transit! ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125592-Heljan-announce-further-batch-of-oo-gauge-class-26s/page-3&do=findComment&comment=3072333 )

I would have suggested a Binns Road Hornby Dublo loco would come off best in the "Dropping From Heights" stakes, but I wouldn't want to test the theory with MY locos...

Btw, anyone got experience of the ability of rolling stock to withstand the attentions of our canine friends?

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, I don't think anything would survive 11ft, even onto carpet with a decent underlay!  Even running off the end of a 3ft bench is generally terminal (Make sure those buffer stops are adequately secured!).  Talking about drops, have a look at the thread on the new Heljan Class 26 locos - a number have been delivered with huge cracks in the cab front due to impact in transit! ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125592-Heljan-announce-further-batch-of-oo-gauge-class-26s/page-3&do=findComment&comment=3072333 )

I would have suggested a Binns Road Hornby Dublo loco would come off best in the "Dropping From Heights" stakes, but I wouldn't want to test the theory with MY locos...

Btw, anyone got experience of the ability of rolling stock to withstand the attentions of our canine friends?

In scale terms 9 and a half feet equates to 722 feet (11 is 836), so not quite terminal velocity - enough to do serious damage (like a Yodel driver chucking a parcel over a back gate).

With dogs, feed them properly and keep them away from your rolling stock (a Kong filled with their favourite kibble usually helps)

I once had a Hornby 4F make the trip over the side onto the concrete floor of my garage. It survived with a cracked buffer and the loss of a handrail. Wouldn’t recover any of my current locomotives would survive that.

Big james

This afternoon, a box of photo printer inks fell from the top shelf over my computer desk. It fell 2 1/2 ft onto another shelf, very narrowly missing 2 Hornby A1 pacific bodies (railroad Tornado) that I'd fitted new handrails, smoke box dart, repainted, lined , renamed etc to retro them back to BR Peppercorn pacifics.  Phew.  :O

An Oxford diecast tram took the full force of the impact and seems to have survived well. Couple of days ago the box would have totally demolished a nearly completed Airfix Supermarine Walrus, fortunately I'd moved that to a more sensible place.

Edited by railroadbill