Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

Really quite hard to find nice pictures of Hornby R2892 T9 LSWR 'green' 120 so I have a couple cobbled-together a version which might approximate the appearance of it to a blind man...

post-7929-0-22700700-1513705791_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-50381200-1513706240_thumb.jpg

It is a very good antidote to any who have fallen under the evil influence of Swindon. 100mph City of Truro, pah!

True, the LSWR were slow to adopt superheating, but there are many advantages to saturated steam...  :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I possibly think I could of managed 52* loco's for the year, however I need to take a break sometime and the Defiant is in need of paint!

49th - S15 Class 30829 (yes the one that had a running gear malfunction)

post-7000-0-82392100-1513783452_thumb.jpg

50th - Britannia Class 70051 Firth of Forth (looking to clean for me)

post-7000-0-50590800-1513783461_thumb.jpg

*Technically I did do 52, however 2 of those where just the loco bodies..

• Like 4

I've been following this thread with interest, and approve greatly of some of the entries, and some of the photoshop jobs are incredible! Also some splendid Aircraft builds, I have a 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster waiting to be be built one day... 

Now, I am not a photoshop whizz so considerably less realism in these photos but I thought I'd weigh in.

firstly, just to keep the MiM happy ;)

post-29051-0-85270500-1513789976.jpg

Secondly, let's talk about the humble 700, it's modelled beautifully and is by far the best performing Hornby loco I've ever owned, not just because it is quiet and smooth, but because it has frequently successfully negotiated difficult trackwork where most other locos built to modern standards have derailed. Whatever Hornby did with the mechanisms on this loco, they did it right.

post-29051-0-58451100-1513790245.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been following this thread with interest, and approve greatly of some of the entries, and some of the photoshop jobs are incredible! Also some splendid Aircraft builds, I have a 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster waiting to be be built one day... 

Now, I am not a photoshop whizz so considerably less realism in these photos but I thought I'd weigh in.

attachicon.gifmerchant.jpg

Secondly, let's talk about the humble 700, it's modelled beautifully and is by far the best performing Hornby loco I've ever owned, not just because it is quiet and smooth, but because it has frequently successfully negotiated difficult trackwork where most other locos built to modern standards have derailed. Whatever Hornby did with the mechanisms on this loco, they did it right.

attachicon.gif700.jpg

The Tamiya Lancaster was always a must do kit - until Airfix (under Hornby) retooled their 1/72 scale version. Though I do still hanker after the 617 Squadron Tirpitz busting version they did...

Incidentally because of a certain purchase from Airfix, there will be a Part 4, 5 & 6 of Shack Attack - Dougal or Ermintrude will be make his/her appearance.. 

And yes the 700 is a lovely little loco...

• Like 1

I agree about the 700, they do appear to be superb little models in every respect, and unbelievably cheap now, I think around £70 here and there for any of several version, including the weathered one...  maybe a little more.  The SR versions appear to be around too. 

But ultimately you can't go past a well-weathered rebuilt Bulleid Light Pacific, I mean really, can you?

post-7929-0-27924800-1513807484_thumb.jpg

I had better be careful though, I just bought a blue box SECR dark lake birdcage composite brake, just to go with my SECR H 0-4-4T you understand...   I would never think of buying a C class 'full regalia' version... no, no, never! 

Actually with family connections to Guildford where SECR met LSWR  you can understand what a conflicted personality I am!  :)

edit; 700  0-6-0s R3419 SR and R3420 BR are at Hattons new for under £70

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

attachicon.gifmerchant.jpg

attachicon.gif700.jpg

That 700 really looks the cat's whiskers!   Lovely.   

I must tell toboldlygo that clean engines did actually exist, once, way back in time....  

cheers

• RMweb Gold

That 700 really looks the cat's whiskers!   Lovely.   

I must tell toboldlygo that clean engines did actually exist, once, way back in time....  

cheers

That's a filthy rumour - that will be a triple session of Air-Smoothing for spouting such blasphemy  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

That's a filthy rumour - that will be a triple session of Air-Smoothing for spouting such blasphemy  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

If this regime of discipline keeps up I shall have to call for assistance from my friends at Swindon, who I think at this moment are still wondering how the MiM succeeded in stopping production of the 28XX and 38XX 2-8-0s....    Have Hornby ever hinted that production of these will ever resume?  Not that any civilised person would need one when they can double-head LSWR 700s...

• RMweb Gold

If this regime of discipline keeps up I shall have to call for assistance from my friends at Swindon, who I think at this moment are still wondering how the MiM succeeded in stopping production of the 28XX and 38XX 2-8-0s....    Have Hornby ever hinted that production of these will ever resume?  Not that any civilised person would need one when they can double-head LSWR 700s...

Talk of doubleheading 700s is like playing "Midland Small Engine Policy" (aka Silly Bu@@ers), its Just Not The Done Thing!  If it can't be done with a 28/38xx, then you just need to go to a 47xx.  However, if a 47xx isn't available then it is permitted to insert another 28xx, though with loads that large, you may have to consider the Einsteinian Tailback Phenomenon.

• RMweb Gold

Talk of doubleheading 700s is like playing "Midland Small Engine Policy" (aka Silly Bu@@ers), its Just Not The Done Thing!  If it can't be done with a 28/38xx, then you just need to go to a 47xx.  However, if a 47xx isn't available then it is permitted to insert another 28xx, though with loads that large, you may have to consider the Einsteinian Tailback Phenomenon.

Careful, you might trigger Rob to have another relapse (several sessions with the MiM cured him of his last bout of Garratitis) ;)

• Like 1

I weakened and bought a weathered West Country today, simply because I liked it...  

Toboldlygo might have something to say about the tender, I wouldn't know.

I do think it is a very fine bit of modelling, RTR or enhanced RTR ...

this pic below is my enhanced version of the Hattons pic., which was fun to do. I might have overdone it in some ways, all such models remind me of the glorious and sad last days of the Waterloo-to-the-west ex-LSWR main line in 7/1967.

post-7929-0-92505100-1513833300_thumb.jpg

Another temptation is the 38XX which I think is a very fine model, and quite inexpensive nowadays if you can find one.

This below is from a current Ebay ad, slightly tidied, I hope the seller won't mind.

post-7929-0-98556100-1513834071_thumb.jpg

Better go and lie down I think, 

but not before a nod to Gresley's genius...

post-7929-0-19604800-1513845478_thumb.jpg

cheers

(I think I just caused a significant improvement in Britain's balance of payments today....)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Haymarket drivers would have a fit if they saw "Commonwealth of Australia" in that state! Gateshead A4s yes(ever seen the photo of an absolutely filthy "Sir Murrough Wilson" on the King Edward Bridge heading the up " Flying Scotsman"?)

Haymarket were renowned for their appearance but it was reckoned Gateshead's only got cleaned when they were at Doncaster for an overhaul!

Get it cleaned!!!

Haymarket drivers would have a fit if they saw "Commonwealth of Australia" in that state! Gateshead A4s yes(ever seen the photo of an absolutely filthy "Sir Murrough Wilson" on the King Edward Bridge heading the up " Flying Scotsman"?)

Haymarket were renowned for their appearance but it was reckoned Gateshead's only got cleaned when they were at Doncaster for an overhaul!

Get it cleaned!!!

I'll put it down to a trick of the light!    :)  I have a lovely book 'Steam Days at Haymarket', I'll have to read it again!

edit; actually as a New Zealander anything about Australia is not to be trusted, and I do love the double chimney corridor tender variants, I shall perhaps be able to photograph it so it doesn't look quite so forlorn.  :)

meanwhile a Duchess, 'City of Carlisle' beckons.

cheers

Edited by robmcg

I'll put it down to a trick of the light!    :)  I have a lovely book 'Steam Days at Haymarket', I'll have to read it again!

edit; actually as a New Zealander anything about Australia is not to be trusted, and I do love the double chimney corridor tender variants, I shall perhaps be able to photograph it so it doesn't look quite so forlorn.  :)

meanwhile a Duchess, 'City of Carlisle' beckons.

cheers[/quote

I haven't read that particular book but a local source told me it slated a certain driver for his handling of A4s but the gem of the story is that his widow is still living at the end of the street I live on and his final day in BR employment was to take 60009 across the Forth Bridge on the official Centenary Special in 1990!

• Like 1

A tribute to Hornby's 'old tooling' Duchess, with quite a lot of edited 'improvements', but I like them...

post-7929-0-59922000-1513974569_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-45155700-1513974613_thumb.jpg

Quite hard to find some models, neither of these were easy, at the miserable prices I pay anyway.

For the purists here's 46236 again, with bevelled wheels.

post-7929-0-47843100-1513974725_thumb.jpg

Where will it all end? That's what I want to ask....  :)

answer,  perdition, ruin, and Men in Malachite loose on the streets!

edit;

answer 2  or worse, men in Santa suits giving mazak-rotten T9s and Spamcans to innocent children...

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

A tribute to Hornby's 'old tooling' Duchess, with quite a lot of edited 'improvements', but I like them...

attachicon.gif46239_Stanier_portrait1_3a_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif46236_Duchess_Bradford_R3241_portrait1_11abcd_crop1_r1200.jpg

Quite hard to find some models, neither of these were easy, at the miserable prices I pay anyway.

For the purists here's 46236 again, with bevelled wheels.

attachicon.gif46236_Duchess_Bradford_R3241_portrait2_1abcd_r1200.jpg

Where will it all end? That's what I want to ask....  :)

answer,  perdition, ruin, and Men in Malachite loose on the streets!

edit;

answer 2  or worse, men in Santa suits giving mazak-rotten T9s and Spamcans to innocent children...

I bought a City of Bradford because it was the only one I can definitely say I saw in a working state in ordinary service and that was at Perth ( Scotland,I hesitate to add!)It was on shed one afternoon as we passed in our car.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As per a previous post

post-7000-0-93496600-1514046667_thumb.jpg

In 2018 - will it be Dougal or Ermintrude starring in...

Shack Attack - The Next Big Build: Part 4...

One thing is sure, as well as being designed and manufactured in the UK - it will be built here as well ;)

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 1

...   (something to do with Ernest Shackleton, or aeroplanes....)

One thing is sure, as well as being designed and manufactured in the UK - it will be built here as well ;)

Also designed in built in 1899 in the UK, Nine Elms to be precise, (or Dubs of Glasgow for some), the erstwhile T9 4-4-0. 

The LSWR  pre-empted Swindon's standard-parts policy by constructing 4-4-0s with boilers interchangeable with 700s and M7s...  the GWR was still building things with outside frames, poor misguided souls that they were, lucky Stanier came along in 1904 and saved them from themselves, supervising the construction of the Stars, but that's another story...

Here in living colour (b+w version in the 2018 models thread)  is T9 116, which probably never carried the number e116 in Southern green, but 115 did.. 

post-7929-0-46605100-1514082288_thumb.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

Well it's Boxing Day here, and Xmas was slightly mad (can you be 'slightly' mad?) not least because a local NZ shop was selling off a bit of Hornby stock...

We also got the first significant rain for 5 weeks here near Wellington, which is superb! The garden so needs it, and the smell of rain is lovely, and being the summer solstice it has been very warm.

Warning; those with an aversion to box-opening should cease reading now.

In perusing the stock for sale at Hobby City NZ I came across a couple of items which I resisted at first, but then got up at 1am and 4am respectively to purchase. (too stupid to take a device or laptop to bed, actually I make a point of not doing that so I can sleep)

First, a 21C1 Bulleid original Merchant Navy at  the equivalent of £110.

Second, an R3500 Golden Arrow trainpack with Appledore + three Pullmans at £179.

Maybe in the UK these models are around at certain shops for this kind of price, or am I truly lost?

I also saw and Airfix kitset which was nearly in 00 scale and had a ring of familiarity about it...

post-7929-0-17101900-1514234918_thumb.jpg

Someone might remind me where I've seen it before :)...

Also for sale were 1960 Duke of Gloucester £70, and S15 SR green 824 for £85...   both of these models are in my opinion under-rated and the latter looks the bee's knees with lined SR green carriages, as do N15s of course. Don't see too many for sale on UK sites now.

All these were new and free delivery in NZ  a rare treat. I would have liked 21C3 but missed out, someone bought it first.

The joys of 'modelling' in RTR !  :)

cheers

Edited by robmcg

oh, and here is my favourite photo for the day.

The much-maligned BR 71000 'Duke of Gloucester' which was so much a 'might have been' but thwarted by the 1955 modernisation plan and other even less forgivable oversights, perhaps BR running and design staff had too many other concerns to look at breathing and ashpans for a single engine?

At least Hornby got it right,  in my opinion.  :)

post-7929-0-76978500-1514238877_thumb.jpg

picture edited

• Like 2

I don't think this is one of Hornby 's best ever models, but I got it for Christmas and wanted to show it off without resurrecting an old thread :P, unfortunately it performs like the T9 rather than the 700 in that it can not really negotiate difficult track work at all and it seems to struggle through Hornby points. And, like the T9, occasionally the driving wheels slide off the track a bit causing it to come to a stand still with the wheels still spinning. However, like most Southern region locos of that era it is most handsome and a beautiful model.

post-29051-0-61605400-1514305797_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

oh, and here is my favourite photo for the day.

The much-maligned BR 71000 'Duke of Gloucester' which was so much a 'might have been' but thwarted by the 1955 modernisation plan and other even less forgivable oversights, perhaps BR running and design staff had too many other concerns to look at breathing and ashpans for a single engine?

At least Hornby got it right,  in my opinion.  :)

attachicon.gif71000_Duke_shed_4abc_r1200.jpg

picture edited

I've three of the beasts....

The Railroad version

The Heritage Rail Express train pack

The TTS one (full fat as far as I can see, with the plastic nameplates)

All bought on the cheap side of "do I really need more than one?".  What I need to do is decide on other Royal Dukes to call two of them.  The running numbers are easy, 71001 and 71002....

I might even give the Railroad one the "toboldlygo" treatment!  :jester:

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1