Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

City of London had a 'streamlined' flush sided tender, not a riveted tender with deep cab cutout. Don't worry about this mistake. No less an authority than David Jenkinson made a similar mistake when I was commissioned to paint an 0 gauge Duchess for the NRM at York in the early 1980's to display the BR experimental dark Prussian blue livery.  I had to renumber and name the loco in the end. The Duchess class are something of a minefield, but then what class isn't.... :biggrin_mini2:

Oh dear, I had forgotten to check that, when I used bits of this photo of Hornby 46245...

post-7929-0-22495500-1510515108_thumb.jpg

Mea culpa.

I'll call it an unrecorded tender-swap in the meantime. 

• Like 2

A cheque? Would a few quiet words with the MiM be more in order and an immune from re-education certificate being issued from them be more favourable?  :jester:  :jester:

And as promised here's a very green N15...

attachicon.gif30792_lh.jpg

attachicon.gif30792_rh.jpg

I seriously doubt she will stay that way though... ;)

I await my MiM immunity from re-education certificate with bated breath.

Your photos leave me undecided...  they show a better green than the on-line ads.  Is the darker green comparable to the latest rebuilt Light Pacifics? 

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

I await my MiM immunity from re-education certificate with bated breath.

Your photos leave me undecided...  they show a better green than the on-line ads.  Is the darker green comparable to the latest rebuilt Light Pacifics? 

Having had 25 N15's grace my workbench over the years since the new tool's initial release (and over 150's Bulleid's) it's certainly much darker than those earlier releases and certainly makes the Grange I have lurking in my to do queue look very anaemic and as Larry puts it... Malashitey.  :triniti:  :triniti:  :triniti:

Worth pointing out as well, Sir Hervis de Revel comes with the tender brake rigging installed and your least favourite feature Rob - Satan's Plug!!  :jester:  :jester:

Having had 25 N15's grace my workbench over the years since the new tool's initial release (and over 150's Bulleid's) it's certainly much darker than those earlier releases and certainly makes the Grange I have lurking in my to do queue look very anaemic and as Larry puts it... Malashitey.  :triniti:  :triniti:  :triniti:

Worth pointing out as well, Sir Hervis de Revel comes with the tender brake rigging installed and your least favourite feature Rob - Satan's Plug!!  :jester:  :jester:

Thanks toboldlygo,

Confession.    I have learned to live with Satan's Plug, it's quite easy with the right tool, a cradle, and a bit of patience.

I discovered how tricky plugs could be in my forays into US articulated steam of the H0 variety, for them I think it's a matter of honour to be able to not only do two plugs by feel alone, but to be able to solder circuit boards and generally never have a problem with anything... 

I was wondering about the colour on 34096 'Trevone', which is about the same price to we antipodeans as a Sir Hervis de Revel. Perhaps I will save my pennies, I have been filling up my LS1-engined car a bit lately.... <g>  (Isn't life hard!)

Edit;  just remember according to Irwell there were probably FIVE Duchesses with rivetted tenders, but some records are a bit unclear. As to streamlined/modified/other, I'll leave it to thems who care about accuracy..   and fix my picture when in the mood, it will take about 40 minutes at a guess.

Edited by robmcg

hey presto...

post-7929-0-96207000-1510549139_thumb.jpg

cheers

edit, could have chosen 45244 which went over Tring summit at about 90mph with this train, but another day perhaps.

Thanks Larry for pointing out the error in tender shape and appearance. I think the engine shed code may leave some questions but I'm sure Camden engines sometimes reached Polmadie....

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

From pictures, 46253 to 46257 had riveted tenders if it helps. Two handy publications on "Duchesses" are Power of the Duchesses by D.Jenkinson (OPC 1979), and Profile of the Duchesses by D.Jenkinson (OPC 1982). The latter publication deals with every member of the class on an individual basis.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

From pictures, 46253 to 46257 had riveted tenders if it helps. Two handy publications on "Duchesses" are Power of the Duchesses by D.Jenkinson (OPC 1979), and Profile of the Duchesses by D.Jenkinson (OPC 1982). The latter publication deals with every member of the class on an individual basis.

Just acquired the latter from Amazon for less than £3 (plus 1st Class postage)

• Like 1

Meanwhile, back at Crewe, sometime after 1939...

Although the un-streamlined Duchesses remained red throughout much or all of the war (I think, books not at hand), they were unlikely to be this clean....

post-7929-0-88522500-1510623251_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Until the 42xx* escapes from the paintshop, Toad will have to make do with a relatively clean J50 

post-7000-0-89216500-1510683512_thumb.jpg

*The 42xx thought it wise to stay put in the bunker, as it didn't want to mess with a Lancaster with a 7,000 pound (that's weight) payload of bombs....  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Until the 42xx* escapes from the paintshop, Toad will have to make do with a relatively clean J50 

attachicon.gifJ50_68950_and_Toad.jpg

*The 42xx thought it wise to stay put in the bunker, as it didn't want to mess with a Lancaster with a 7,000 pound (that's weight) payload of bombs....  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

As damnyankees didn't fly Lancs, the probability of it suffering "Fiendly Fire" were much reduced, so its probably safe for the 42xx to poke its nose out of the tunnel!

btw  didn't the LNER call some brakevans "Toads" too?

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, back at Crewe, sometime after 1939...

Although the un-streamlined Duchesses remained red throughout much or all of the war (I think, books not at hand), they were unlikely to be this clean....

attachicon.gif6231_Duchess_Atholl_portrait50_double_chimney_4ab_r1200.jpg

They'd probably have a toboldlygo overall coating of thick sludge. The nearest you'd get to identification would be "Its a Duchess, I think...."

• RMweb Gold

As damnyankees didn't fly Lancs, the probability of it suffering "Fiendly Fire" were much reduced, so its probably safe for the 42xx to poke its nose out of the tunnel!

btw  didn't the LNER call some brakevans "Toads" too?

The Lanc's carrying a Cookie along with six 500 pounders - best to hide*  :jester: and the damnyankees had to learn how to precision bomb from the Brits (and Commonwealth) bomber crews ;)

*Just ask the residents of Ausburg that had to evacuate last Christmas due to an unexploded Cookie... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Lanc's carrying a Cookie along with six 500 pounders - best to hide*  :jester: and the damnyankees had to learn how to precision bomb from the Brits (and Commonwealth) bomber crews ;)

*Just ask the residents of Ausburg that had to evacuate last Christmas due to an unexploded Cookie... 

Hence the phrase "Cookie Monster".  Or was that something different?

As a damnyankee might have said, "Gee, is that an Oboe"?

• RMweb Gold

Hence the phrase "Cookie Monster".  Or was that something different?

As a damnyankee might have said, "Gee, is that an Oboe"?

Might be, though as childhood memories go - Cookie Monster is big and blue and you might see if you go, if you go to Sesame Street   :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

They'd probably have a toboldlygo overall coating of thick sludge. The nearest you'd get to identification would be "Its a Duchess, I think...."

As I have yet to weather a LMS era loco, this could possibly be slanderous comment*, as I use thin coats of acrylic paint built up over many coats - not sludge.  :jester:  :jester:

*Another session on the Air-Smoother for you ;)

• RMweb Gold

The Air Smoother....

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....  :jester:

Of course "sludge" might well be defined as "an application of thin coats or deposits of fine particulate material".

h,c&o. 

As I have yet to weather a LMS era loco, this could possibly be slanderous comment*, as I use thin coats of acrylic paint built up over many coats - not sludge.  :jester:  :jester:

*Another session on the Air-Smoother for you ;)

LMS era includes wartime black, AKA Humbrol matt black, applied with a brush from the 25p children's pack of ten.  Worked for me, when I was 11.  I even did BR or gwr lining with said brush (resembling a stick), on Kitmaster City of Truro and 61XX.  Who needed a bow-pen?  What indeed IS a bow pen?  

I rather like the LMS colours and the surviving colour images from that era are reminiscent of my own memories of 1950s NZ trains. (mostly English Electric 1500V DC covered in rust and brake dust, over what was an LMS-like red...)

edit;   here in 1974 and 1980...

post-7929-0-94168600-1510695038_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-55929900-1510695012_thumb.jpg

The container train would be Wellington-Auckland, two EMD 1425HP diesel electrics, 1-in-50 ruling grades (1-in-100 in photo)  foreground EE 1,800hp 'Ew' class Bo-Bo-Bo.  I drove trolley busses in Wellington in 1974...

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

46221 also..

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/af/39/69/af3969db9f24108d38ec2b91ea98c07e.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3935/15395628118_4977b68c7c_b.jpg

Edited by adb968008

I still can't decide....

post-7929-0-41417100-1510713375_thumb.jpg

or this...

post-7929-0-28367200-1510713467_thumb.jpg

At last with Garratt there are no colour issues, I thinking of a wartime black rebuilt Scot soon,  I just like them in black...

Is it true that Hornby's rrp for 6108 'Seaforth Highlander' is over £180? For tooling which has versions which have sat around on special for under half this?   Far be it from me, but....  seems strange. Also the slightly cheaper 6126 was rebuilt in 6/1945 so may not have lasted long in wartime unlined black. OTOH I haven't followed s/h values of Royal Scots for some time.

just for fun...

post-7929-0-64404200-1510724984_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A valid point,Rob,re: the Scots.The new LMS releases without deflectors accentuate the poor chimney design.At least one I have seen displays it positioned on the model at a pronounced  tilt which is of course down to qc issues.I have to ask at this increased cost on old tooling...not much short of the new tooling Duchesses.... are these going to sell ,especially with the limited edition mark up on 6108 ? As a buyer at this moment in time and with so much competing for our cash,you have to question.....is this worth the asking ? Is it value for money ? That's a question only the individual can answer.....yes I'd like 6108.....but not when I've bought 6231 for the same amount .

Thanks for raising the issue.

A valid point,Rob,re: the Scots.The new LMS releases without deflectors accentuate the poor chimney design.At least one I have seen displays it positioned on the model at a pronounced  tilt which is of course down to qc issues.I have to ask at this increased cost on old tooling...not much short of the new tooling Duchesses.... are these going to sell ,especially with the limited edition mark up on 6108 ? As a buyer at this moment in time and with so much competing for our cash,you have to question.....is this worth the asking ? Is it value for money ? That's a question only the individual can answer.....yes I'd like 6108.....but not when I've bought 6231 for the same amount .

Thanks for raising the issue.

Yes it certainly does raise questions, Hornby's pricing in the light of the new CEO's determination to end discounting.

It does rather depend on how long they are prepared to have stock sitting around unsold.

I might re-number an older model rather than pay the £120+ post price we antipodeans would likely pay for a LMS 6108 'Seaforth Highlander' or a bit less for a LMS 6126 'Royal Army Service Corps', but I would have bought the latter like a shot if it had darkened metal wheel rims and motion.

For the sake of interest a couple of older edited pics  one a hybrid Bachmann/Hornby 6103 the other a Hornby re-numbered 6109 both 1943 rebuilds..

post-7929-0-43878300-1510777578_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-89353700-1510777603_thumb.jpg

In the meantime I may weaken and buy one or the other of 6108 or 6126, out of simple loyalty to Hornby. I find the chimney a bit annoying, also the prototype isn't the best from some angles, but 3/4 head-on it is fine!

post-7929-0-66384700-1510777786_thumb.jpg

cheers

• Like 2