Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif68950_inworks.jpg

attachicon.gifLancaster_24.jpg

attachicon.gifmoon_05_11_17.jpg

Just to throw a spanner in the works...  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:

I suppose that the J50 might have shunted payloads for the Lancaster!

And then

Dum dum dum dummmmmmmmmmm

"This is the BBC, here are some messages"

"The Speckled Goose Flies In The Moonlight....."

• RMweb Gold

I suppose that the J50 might have shunted payloads for the Lancaster!

And then

Dum dum dum dummmmmmmmmmm

"This is the BBC, here are some messages"

"The Speckled Goose Flies In The Moonlight....."

Shush, you're not supposed have told anyone that the MiM have fully operational Moon based ASDR - that's Air-Smoothing Death Ray to those don't know....

Mind you,  it can be covered up as rogue fireworks at the moment  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

To me the main thing is the exquisite modelling, I find it quite astounding for the price.

Same with this much edited photo of the Rails Duchess of Hamilton in 1948...  backing up for another express turn on the WCML.

attachicon.gif46229_duchess_portrait50_1948_2abcd_r1200.jpg

Meanwhile, my attentions turn to the hard-working N15s on the Southern, and the differences between the Urie and Maunsell locos, after reading more O S Nock anecdotes about them, I used to think the le Maitre funnels looked a bit odd on an N15 but in reading about how fast these engines actually were, my opinion has changed.

attachicon.gif30737_N15_portrait1_1a_full_r1200.jpg

Actually, who could doubt the magnificence of Hornby RTR modelling in 2008, and the many variations on this superb class of engines?

attachicon.gif785_N15_portrait2_2abcde_full_r1200.jpg

cheers

Ships have funnels, locomotives have chimneys.

Yours faithfully, Disgusted, Tunbridge Wells.

• Like 1

And another................

attachicon.gifWEB GCR Atlantic.jpg

Nice work, coach.    :)

edit; I'll see that and raise you one.

Based on a pic on p57 of O S Nock's 'A History of the LMS 2 The Record-Breaking 'Thirties 1931-39' of 6212 passing Thankerton with the up 'Mid-Day Scot'.

Lovely Hornby models!

post-7929-0-03783300-1510001535_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

C’mon Rob! You’re the photo-editing expert. Do us a loco with a ship’s funnel please!

Dunno why I wrote 'funnel' where I should have written 'chimney'.   I can't blame senility, so I'll blame Theresa May. Everyone else does...  :)

Moving quickly along, it's still a toss-up betwixt N15 and B17 with Schools in there somewhere....

post-7929-0-72935600-1510027211_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-19162500-1510027261_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-23464200-1510027286_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Something a bit more LMS....  Stanier's finest on the 'Mid-Day Scot' in 1938.

One again based on pictures in O S Nock's  'A History of the LMS 2 The Record-Breaking 'Thirties 1931-39' which show the Duchess of Atholl' on this particular train, with very much this degree of weathering, that is, almost none, just that beautiful polished sheen on the cylinders etc...

The Mid-Day Scot was the hardest turn on the LMS during these years, often loaded to 16 or 17 total, although some carriages were removed-added at various points of the 400-mile run. 500+ tons was common over the hardest parts in the north. Princess class engines pioneered the 1936 accelerated schedules, I'm not sure if it was further accelerated for 1938, where the Princess Coronatins may have been available.

It was a severe test of men and machines, the engines running big mileages without a break.  

I just unpacked this Hornby new model, looks perfect, runs perfectly. (as if there was any doubt!)

post-7929-0-69254800-1510110213_thumb.jpg

How can a lover of steam railways not buy one of these superb models?  Or several....  :)

cheers,

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

frosty morning effect south of Carstairs, preparing for Beattock..... I recall taking pics on such days in the 1960s and smoke was often quite like this.  The sun always shone too....  :)

post-7929-0-35772600-1510194556_thumb.jpg

edit p.s. this is from a separate photo of the model at a slightly different angle... believe it or not. 

edited to change incorrect 'Carnforth' to 'Carstairs'...  sorry.    And the train is passing Thankerton.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not even a question! Duchess everytime :)

Especially with the self-destructing motor issue, that has plague the Garratt's..

Definitely the Duchess!

And the incorrectly handed Early Totems...

Plus the Garratt is the completely wrong shade of Crimson Lake  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

frosty morning effect south of Carnforth, preparing for Beattock..... I recall taking pics on such days in the 1960s and smoke was often quite like this.  The sun always shone too....  :)

attachicon.gif6231_Princess_Duchess_Atholl_country2_1abcde_r1200.jpg

edit p.s. this is from a separate photo of the model at a slightly different angle... believe it or not. 

The clouds are low in that location. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

frosty morning effect south of Carnforth, preparing for Beattock..... I recall taking pics on such days in the 1960s and smoke was often quite like this.  The sun always shone too....  :)

attachicon.gif6231_Princess_Duchess_Atholl_country2_1abcde_r1200.jpg

Sorry for the pedantry,Rob but are those hills or clouds in the background ? If you meant Carnforth then it's Grayrigg ,followed by Shap.

Beattock is way to the North and way over the border in Scotland. The preserved 46233 has tackled all three....and Aisgill with some distinction over the last few years..twice with me getting my eyes full of nostalgic smut as I did the forbidden head out of window bit....truly unforgettable.

• Like 1

Sorry for the pedantry,Rob but are those hills or clouds in the background ? If you meant Carnforth then it's Grayrigg ,followed by Shap.

Beattock is way to the North and way over the border in Scotland. The preserved 46233 has tackled all three....and Aisgill with some distinction over the last few years..twice with me getting my eyes full of nostalgic smut as I did the forbidden head out of window bit....truly unforgettable.

Sorry I meant Carstairs,  the train is passing Thankerton heading south, and they are definitely hills in the background, similar to two previous pics.,and in the pic on p.57 of Nock's book  'A History of the LMS 2. The Record-Breaking 'Thirties 1931-39'... on which the pic is accurately based.

I have a real problem with a lazy brain.  Sorry. I will fix the caption.

(Sighing at my own ineptitude)

You might see Ian that in two of the pics there are Scottish-style route indicators? on the top lamp bracket, I don't know why I wrote 'Carnforth', I even get mixed up with Preston and other towns. At least I didn't say it was 'near Guildford'  (which is where Swindon is).

Edited by robmcg

More care needs to be taken with crimson lake now that Hornby has got it right!  I have attempted to correct an earlier image....

attachicon.gifWEB Duchess red.jpg

Larry, you have simply made it more yellow, and it looks fine to me like that too.  The NRM and 'my' pic over which you say more care needs to be taken are nearer to some of your own previous versions of 'correct' or 'right'.  Your 'more care needs to be taken' is thus a bit strange.   Do you think Hornby have got it 'right' in their box art, which is seriously darker, or in their on-line ads, which are a lot less yellow than your pic above? 

I don't actually a great deal either way, except I applaud Hornby for the colour and finish on the recent Duchess models. With variable monitors and especially printing you will never get a perfectly 'right' or 'wrong' reproduction. In my opinion.

Just received a Hornby H class SECR colours, magnificent!  But opening the box was a prolonged and painful exercise...

I have had a few tight sleeve-boxes but this was the worst ever, it required a flat blade insertion from every angle and depth, and many minutes of chanting and prayer before the sleeve would move, and then only with great force (supplied by a female). I was thinking that I might have to destroy it in order to open it for a while.

Looks good though! 

Especially with the self-destructing motor issue, that has plague the Garratt's..

And the incorrectly handed Early Totems...

Plus the Garratt is the completely wrong shade of Crimson Lake  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Peasant!

I accept the Garratts may have some motor issues but I think they may be over-represented in places like RMweb, only Hattons would know the truth. None of the many I have owned (and sold) were faulty, and I sold 10 a few years ago and had zero come-backs. I actually broke even on them too, which is rare for me!  actually as an aside if I bought and sold as a 'cottage industry' I could offset trading 'losses' against tax,  but that would require paperwork, and as a capitalist running dog, that would be anathema...  

With recent Duchesses opened and tested I have a 100% perfect rate from a large sample, (2),  but some of the experiences in other threads you would think this unusual, same with mazak rot   zero experience of it hundreds of models stored in dry medium temperatures low humidity...

As to 'Plus the Garratt is the completely wrong shade of Crimson Lake  '

Don't tell Larry Goddard!    :)

Edit 2;  My Sir William , just unpacked, has bent valve gear and a loose body,  slidebar not located in cylinder assembly, won't run without jamming, will have to be posted back to UK for refund or replacement.

Edited by robmcg

Larry, you have simply made it more yellow, and it looks fine to me like that too.  The NRM and 'my' pic over which you say more care needs to be taken are nearer to some of your own previous versions of 'correct' or 'right'.  Your 'more care needs to be taken' is thus a bit strange.   Do you think Hornby have got it 'right' in their box art, which is seriously darker, or in their on-line ads, which are a lot less yellow than your pic above? 

I don't actually a great deal either way, except I applaud Hornby for the colour and finish on the recent Duchess models. With variable monitors and especially printing you will never get a perfectly 'right' or 'wrong' reproduction. In my opinion.

I was asked to assist with the crimson lake. This was a serious business all round because changing a colour is a brave move. So I thought you should take a little more care about using other peoples images and altering the colour. There was nothing strange about my remark at all and in fact I notice you thanked me!

Edited by coachmann

I was asked to assist with the crimson lake. This was a serious business all round because changing a colour is a brave move. So I thought you should take a little more care about using other peoples images and altering the colour. There was nothing strange about my remark at all and in fact I notice you thanked me!

I didn't alter the colour on the NRM/Locomtion image, Larry. I did change brightness and contrast a tad.

I thanked you because it's nice to have opinions about what is correct, and the NRM image, (and consequently my version with vignette and front steps etc) is in  your experienced and expert opinion not quite right.