Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Xuron sprue cutter - check, scalpel - check, tweezers - check, clothes peg - check, Tamya masking tape (really excellent stuff) - check,  table cloth? oops! I won't get away with that!  :sungum:    But thanks to your dimensions of the model, I've just measured my desk (where the tray with the cutting mat gets put) and it will fit on there. Yup.

Actually, just clicked on your blog which has more detail about your build, very useful.

Now to finish renumbering a Jinty  and bit more on a walrus (which is Airfix).

My 'Shack' has a lot of extra bits - I (wisely?) invested in the Eduard Zoom Photo etch kits for it (Cockpit, Main Fuselage and Flaps)

Case in point below, the bomb bay & tail wheel doors - should comprise of just 8 parts.. 24 parts now (including etched replacement aerials)

post-7000-0-90974300-1505324556_thumb.jpg

I won't be fitting the flap kit on this one - too much like building real flaps for my liking.

I have 7 loco's to get on with, at some point:

• E4 32504
  • MN 35018 British India Line (as rebuilt)
  • Q1 33025
  • Fowler Tank 42343
  • J50 68971 (Early)
  • WC 34006 Bude (enhanced)
  • Grange 6829 Burmington Grange

There's also a couple of incoming Modified/Rebuilt West Country's on the cards...

• Like 3

Guest spet0114

Hi All,

Which of Hornby's RTR 00 models is best?

Not sure these are their 'best', but there are a few Hornby (and even Tri-ang) models that stand up fairly well in this modern age. Here are a couple, snapped at a recent club running night and crudely processed in a vague attempt to give them a 'period' look.....

Midland%20Compound.jpg

2-BIL.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Cheers

Adrian

• Like 7

Not sure these are their 'best', but there are a few Hornby (and even Tri-ang) models that stand up fairly well in this modern age. Here are a couple, snapped at a recent club running night and crudely processed in a vague attempt to give them a 'period' look.....

Midland%20Compound.jpg

2-BIL.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Yes, some older models have great appeal, I have a couple of Hornby LMS/Midland Compounds, here is one forming the basis of a nice edited pic...

post-7929-0-39174200-1505513812_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 8

Hornby does indeed produce some fine models, but to dress up the old Railroad Compound caricature so that it looks to be a super-scale model to P4 standards and include it in Hornby’s Best Ever Models is amazing!  I doubt if credibility could stretched much further… I doubt Hornby would recognize some of its own products.

Another Hornby Rivarossi model which probably isn't 'best ever' but looks very good...  the Union Pacific Challenger 4-6-6-4  1990s production I think.

The prototype was built in 1936 to provide more power for sustained periods than the 1920s 3-cylinder 9000 class 4-12-2s could provide, and the Challengers were the first successful simple-expansion articulated locos (well after the C&O H7 2-8-8-2s) and combined 80mph ability, power and reliability, the 1941 4-8-8-4 Big Boys followed, such engines were significant in US ability to win WW2 with war on two fronts, with huge loads on the trans-continental lines. 

edited picture

post-7929-0-35706100-1505587103_thumb.jpg

here below he same model with more editing, on a WW2 troop train near Odgen, Utah.

With 1-in-90 grades for 3,800-ton freight trains, which was the work of the 4-8-8-4s. So good were both classes that enginemen were able to haul double the designed weight of train, over 8,000 tons recorded hauled by a single 'Big Boy'.

post-7929-0-11581000-1505588895_thumb.jpg

My apologies, I recently bought a book full of photos of UP engines west of Cheyenne WY 'Across Sherman Hill' , double-headed 4-12-2s and articulated locos in tandem with 2-10-2s or even in pairs... Also included the incredible FEF3 4-8-4s with 80" drivers, all superb, and many modelled by Rivarossi.

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6

I can't leave these Rivarossi models alone, here is 1997 production FEF3 4-8-4 No.835 which has RP25 wheels, but is basically the 1979 tooling. About 1999 Hornby added DCC and DCC-ready and the blanking plug is under the sand-dome (unclips) on the boiler, excellent! It also got tender pickups and sound capability. 

I forget the model code numbers for the last versions, this below is Rivarossi 5427.

post-7929-0-93208400-1505591147_thumb.jpg

Union Pacific class FEF3 4-8-4.. 6'8" drivers, 300lb/sq.in boiler, 25"x32" cylinders (2), 66,750lb tractive effort, driving axles 30.2 tons, top speed c100mph, sustained drawbar horsepower c5,000. 

cheers 

edit please note, photo unedited but for background.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I can't leave these Rivarossi models alone, here is 1997 production FEF3 4-8-4 No.835 which has RP25 wheels, but is basically the 1979 tooling. About 1999 Hornby added DCC and DCC-ready and the blanking plug is under the sand-dome (unclips) on the boiler, excellent! It also got tender pickups and sound capability. 

I forget the model code numbers for the last versions, this below is Rivarossi 5427.

attachicon.gifRivarossi_5427_4-8-4_FEF3_835_Img_7937ab_r1200.jpg

Union Pacific class FEF3 4-8-4.. 6'8" drivers, 300lb/sq.in boiler, 25"x32" cylinders (2), 66,750lb tractive effort, driving axles 30.2 tons, top speed c100mph, sustained drawbar horsepower c5,000. 

cheers 

edit please note, photo unedited but for background.

Oh dear, a flotilla of Men in Malachite ships have just departed the UK heading for the 'Colonies'....

• Like 2

We will thwart the MiM with newly-tooled Duchesses... although the older tooling can look damn good, with mods or in my case editing, and the 2004-era mechanisms were very silent and smooth. 

post-7929-0-35818700-1505771279_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-04844400-1505771308_thumb.jpg

Resistance is futile.  

edit; before someone mentions it, yes the emblem on 46244 in green is probably almost certainly wrong, in fact I'm not sure if King George VI was ever in BR maroon.  It did however do an amazing run in the days of the Caledonian topping Tring summit on an up train at over 90mph. 

p.s. I do rather like the aircraft pics, how is that huge artifice of a kite coming along?

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

Think you've surpassed  yourself with your USA loco pics, Rob. Did Rivarossi ever make an SP cab forward? An extraordinary loco, think I've seen an N gauge one once.

Thanks, quite possibly yes, back in the days of cheese cutter flanges, I dimly recall an AC-6 with Vanderbilt tender, but may be wrong.

Intermountain do superb current H0 versions of AC-8 to AC-12.  Don't tempt me!   :)

edit, Rivarossi made a very acceptable AC-12 c1996  production number 5425. MTH has made some very good ones too.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

We will thwart the MiM with newly-tooled Duchesses... although the older tooling can look damn good, with mods or in my case editing, and the 2004-era mechanisms were very silent and smooth. 

attachicon.gifDuchess_breasts_grade_46244_1959_Royal_Scot_2a_crop1_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gifCaledonian_London_Glasgow_Duchess_1958_7ab1_crop1_r1200.jpg

Resistance is futile.  

edit; before someone mentions it, yes the emblem on 46244 in green is probably almost certainly wrong, in fact I'm not sure if King George VI was ever in BR maroon.  It did however do an amazing run in the days of the Caledonian topping Tring summit on an up train at over 90mph. 

p.s. I do rather like the aircraft pics, how is that huge artifice of a kite coming along?

46244 definitely ran in the 1958 maroon livery, found a published picture of it in 1960 at Glasgow central.

Would have been BR blue earlier but book says they were all painted green by 1955. So your pics are correct!

• RMweb Gold

A sea of white at the moment, it'll need a week or so before I can add any more colour - Vallejo Model Air White takes forever to cure!

post-7000-0-77115600-1505773498.jpg

In the meantime I've already renumbered an E4...

and there's 2 more 4 engined RAF bombers on the books (oops)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
46244 definitely ran in the 1958 maroon livery, found a published picture of it in 1960 at Glasgow central.
Would have been BR blue earlier but book says they were all painted green by 1955. So your pics are correct![/

I can verify that.I observed 46244 at Crewe on the down "Caledonian" .....in maroon.....on 14th September 1960....shed code 12B Carlisle Upperby. I have a b/w photo but quite distinctly remember she was in maroon and looking a bit grubby too.
Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, a flotilla of Men in Malachite ships have just departed the UK heading for the 'Colonies'....

The "Colonials" should be safe then, it'll take until at least the end of the year for them to arrive.  They have to allow for slipping, y'know......

I like the Shackleton. I've not built an Airfix kit in years, must give it a go sometime.  Or perhaps one of those Revell Big Boy kits.  Even Rule One can't extend to getting a Rivarossi!

• RMweb Gold

The "Colonials" should be safe then, it'll take until at least the end of the year for them to arrive.  They have to allow for slipping, y'know......

I like the Shackleton. I've not built an Airfix kit in years, must give it a go sometime.  Or perhaps one of those Revell Big Boy kits.  Even Rule One can't extend to getting a Rivarossi!

Their advance guard is already in the Colonies, posing as Couriers, Sheep and neighbours - oops.  :jester:

Some of the new Tool Airfix kits are ideal for returnees to the world of aircraft modelling, some are not - I would recommend one of the 1/72nd or 1/48th Scale Hurricane kits, before attempting any of the big (and some of the small) kits. Revell do make a lot of good kits, but their 1/48th Scale Flying Fortress is lacking in detail compared to Airfix's award winning 1/72nd scale version(s). Did notice Revell still do the 1/32nd Scale Beaufighter - now that is one kit I would revisit!

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

Their advance guard is already in the Colonies, posing as Couriers, Sheep and neighbours - oops.  :jester:

Some of the new Tool Airfix kits are ideal for returnees to the world of aircraft modelling, some are not - I would recommend one of the 1/72nd or 1/48th Scale Hurricane kits, before attempting any of the big (and some of the small) kits. Revell do make a lot of good kits, but their 1/48th Scale Flying Fortress is lacking in detail compared to Airfix's award winning 1/72nd scale version(s). Did notice Revell still do the 1/32nd Scale Beaufighter - now that is one kit I would revisit!

*sings*

Neiiiiighbours, e'vrybody hates the Neiiiiighbours......

Hatski, coatski, outski......

There is a very suspicious grey tabby cat frequenting my house, posing as a rodent exterminator, purring roll-on-back artiste, and general owner of the entire property.

The MiM are indeed cunning.

Off now to see if my V8 still goes well on this fine spring morning, and to work out if there is any value in even more pics of Rivarossi articulated steam locos, or if a Bachmann Standard Class 4 2-6-0 with accessories added will make a nicer subject.   Decision. Decision.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is a very suspicious grey tabby cat frequenting my house, posing as a rodent exterminator, purring roll-on-back artiste, and general owner of the entire property.

The MiM are indeed cunning.

Off now to see if my V8 still goes well on this fine spring morning, and to work out if there is any value in even more pics of Rivarossi articulated steam locos, or if a Bachmann Standard Class 4 2-6-0 with accessories added will make a nicer subject.   Decision. Decision.

There were a pair of kittens lurking around outside today, a tortoiseshell and a black and white.  They were pretending to be chasing grashoppers, and watching the bird table for a snack, but now I know.  It was a stakeout!

Go with the Bachmann Class 4, it'll be less controversial....    :O