Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough, the last tin of LNWR Black I had came from a member of the EBC (Elucidated Bretheren of Crewe).  Mind you, it was New Stock, not the Old Stores Reference Blackberry Black - a paint that needs to be steamed out of the tin to be useful....

I don't see a MiM wanting to go anywhere near the ECB, :scared:  I believe the shriving rituals are prolonged and very painful..... 

Nice D16/3 btw!

You didn't know then? The ECB and the MiM (and other groups) regularly exchange information, "techniques", lists of repeat offenders and even go on team building days out together*  :jester:

*Paint-balling however banned after the unfortunate "Horsley Incident"  :O  :O

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

You didn't know then? The ECB and the MiM (and other groups) regularly exchange information, "techniques", lists of repeat offenders and even go on team building days out together*  :jester:

*Paint-balling however banned after the unfortunate "Horsley Incident"  :O  :O

I'm sure that there's some high-level contact, if only to "beat the bounds", as it were. I fear that that "Team Building" is something foisted on them by some touchy-feely twit on the board.  Other large organisations have similar problems when Human Resources and Accounts end up at the same events.  The feelings of visceral hatred, fear and loathing between the participants are eerily similar.....

Naturally I'd heard of the "Horsley Incident".  I believe that some of the attendees still walk like John Wayne.  Its to be deplored, but what do you expect?

Of course, the Swindonistas tend to look down their noses at such brawling...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure that there's some high-level contact, if only to "beat the bounds", as it were. I fear that that "Team Building" is something foisted on them by some touchy-feely twit on the board. Other large organisations have similar problems when Human Resources and Accounts end up at the same events. The feelings of visceral hatred, fear and loathing between the participants are eerily similar.....

Naturally I'd heard of the "Horsley Incident". I believe that some of the attendees still walk like John Wayne. Its to be deplored, but what do you expect?

Of course, the Swindonistas tend to look down their noses at such brawling...

It wasn't any of the attendee's that where walking like John Wayne, it was the site owners, firstly they gave the teams the wrong colour paintballs (you can imagine how upset the MiM where in getting Crimson Lake), then the owners got the pizza orders mixed up....

Also it's worth noting the Swindonistas are currently banned from such events, due to the fact they tried to add handrails to the MiM Chief Inquisitor's head...

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

Also it's worth noting the Swindonistas are currently banned from such events, due to the fact they tried to add handrails to the MiM Chief Inquisitor's head...

Well, with him having an airsmoothed head, handrails would be a perfectly reasonable response.....

At least they didn't try to modify the profile with plasticene too!

It is good that my day can begin with these erudite and insightful perspectives into the world of steam engineering, so that I might continue my search for the perfect rendition of whichever exemplar of British steam takes my fancy.

I am still illustrating US articulated steam locomotives of the rather large variety, the designers of which I doubt had ever hear of Heath Robinson (unlike most British engine designers).

Maybe we could institute an award for the most practical, useful and fit-for-purpose steam locomotive ever, which surely has been modelled by Hornby.  On the other hand, we would have to deal with Black 5 Society, and they can be so tiresome, even if not so unbearable as those who have a Stanier 8F.

I incline to 4-4-0s for this award.   Deeley? Johnson?  Fowler?   Or the SECR D type...   with the full paint a la H class    I think the RHD Fowler 7' 4-4-0 pretty much represents the essence of the age for me....  and it was duly thrashed on the S&D for many years,  

and no, I don't think if was designed by Bulleid...

For the US, and duly modelled by Hornby International to this very day, the UP 4-8-8-4 has only one fault...  it is so understated! 

This below is the model with a few details added. Marklin and almost every other manufacturer do H0 versions of this pinnacle of the 'Who the hell is Heath Robinson anyway' school of thought...

post-7929-0-33958600-1495575690_thumb.jpg

cheers,

• RMweb Gold

Well, with him having an airsmoothed head, handrails would be a perfectly reasonable response.....

At least they didn't try to modify the profile with plasticene too!

Trying to turn a Sith Lord into Cyberman didn't go down to well... they got their revenge by persuading Hornby to design clever the Star :D ;)

• RMweb Gold

It is good that my day can begin with these erudite and insightful perspectives into the world of steam engineering, so that I might continue my search for the perfect rendition of whichever exemplar of British steam takes my fancy.

I am still illustrating US articulated steam locomotives of the rather large variety, the designers of which I doubt had ever hear of Heath Robinson (unlike most British engine designers).

Maybe we could institute an award for the most practical, useful and fit-for-purpose steam locomotive ever, which surely has been modelled by Hornby.  On the other hand, we would have to deal with Black 5 Society, and they can be so tiresome, even if not so unbearable as those who have a Stanier 8F.

I incline to 4-4-0s for this award.   Deeley? Johnson?  Fowler?   Or the SECR D type...   with the full paint a la H class    I think the RHD Fowler 7' 4-4-0 pretty much represents the essence of the age for me....  and it was duly thrashed on the S&D for many years,  

and no, I don't think if was designed by Bulleid...

For the US, and duly modelled by Hornby International to this very day, the UP 4-8-8-4 has only one fault...  it is so understated! 

This below is the model with a few details added. Marklin and almost every other manufacturer do H0 versions of this pinnacle of the 'Who the hell is Heath Robinson anyway' school of thought...

attachicon.gif4018_4012 at Laramie_r8200_2abcde_r1200.jpg

cheers,

Americans had Rube Goldberg, who followed similar musings on mechanical matters as Heath Robinson, at much the same time.  The thing is, Heath Robinson devices tend to be practical and understated, while Rube Goldberg machines tend to have odd things put in purely for effect.  Its entirely possibe that although the designers of the UP 4-8-8-4 thought Goldberg, they applied Robinson!

Thats a definitely TRIPLEPlusGood engine, although it might look a bit out of place on a GWR branchline and get stuck under the bridges...

I wonder how many volumes the Haynes Manual for the 4-8-8-4 would extend to?

...Maybe we could institute an award for the most practical, useful and fit-for-purpose steam locomotive ever, which surely has been modelled by Hornby.  On the other hand, we would have to deal with Black 5 Society, and they can be so tiresome, even if not so unbearable as those who have a Stanier 8F.

I incline to 4-4-0s for this award...

I'd suggest the maid of all work, the late C19th and early C20th designs typically with much the same boiler and engines as the inside cylinder 4-4-0: the 0-6-0. Easily the most numerous wheel arrangement in service in the UK for the bulk of the steam traction period; and a fair bet that as a group their ubiquity, cheapness and simplicity meant that they brought in more net revenue than any other type.

It's between the NBR and NER for the proposed accolade, on the basis that their 0-6-0s were the last pre-group design locos in BR service, still on the work they were designed for until 1967, because they were practical, useful and fit for purpose. Neither has a RTR model in OO, but both the J36 and J27 survive in preservation, so there's no obstacle. Place holders for the present from those available in RTR, my nominations the J15 and Wainwright C: both successful and make such pretty models.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 1

I'd suggest the maid of all work, the late C19th and early C20th designs typically with much the same boiler and engines as the inside cylinder 4-4-0: the 0-6-0. Easily the most numerous wheel arrangement in service in the UK for the bulk of the steam traction period; and a fair bet that as a group their ubiquity, cheapness and simplicity meant that they brought in more net revenue than any other type.

It's between the NBR and NER for the proposed accolade, on the basis that their 0-6-0s were the last pre-group design locos in BR service, still on the work they were designed for until 1967, because they were practical, useful and fit for purpose. Neither has a RTR model in OO, but both the J36 and J27 survive in preservation, so there's no obstacle. Place holders for the present from those available in RTR, my nominations the J15 and Wainwright C: both successful and make such pretty models.

I just bought a 'Locomotives of the LNER Part 5  Tender Engines J1 to J37  to add to my ever-growing library of obscure detail....  but you are right, the NER and NBR 0-6-0s were indeed fit for purpose.  My preference remains for a 4-4-0 though...

post-7929-0-34624400-1495660224_thumb.jpg

Johnson 2P  LMS No.486.

but an SECR D 4-4-0...   ah no perhaps just too much paint like a traction engine.

cheers

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

First off, a different version of GWR heavy tank 4241 (the other is in the Windy City ;) )..

post-7000-0-55282300-1495992757_thumb.jpg

And now a disclaimer, this is a Merchant Navy for a client..

It has the wrong tender - I did point this out to my client, along with the fact he would be getting a visit from the MiM, but he wasn't that bothered (oops)..

post-7000-0-14063400-1495992743_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

In my book it has to be Nellie, Connie and their ilk.

I know this will cause many to grind their teeth in annoyance but

Without these inoffensive 'stand-off', (in the middle distance should be far enough), scale models.

With diversions such as the Steeple-Cab and Dock Shunter.

Many here would not have started their journey into the world of railways their operation and their representation.

The modern equivalent Smokey Joe and it's brethren will possibly not be held in such high esteem.

Nothing wrong with them par ce but they don't quite cut it.

The releases of L&Y Pug Pecketts and Sentinels offer the best in small models to modern modellers.

Might there be a demand for a stripped back railroad version of these recent classics to give modern junior muddlers a start into muddling life?

• Like 3

After a couple of hours work, this Railroad Hall is beginning to scrub up nicely - before ends up very dirty  :jester:

attachicon.gifhall_inworks.jpg

Beware o scion on MiM, my TMC medium-weathered original Merchant Navy is now marked as 'dispatched'.. it took them about 1 working day, including fitting detail pack, I expect the weathering has dried well in your summer weather, and look forward to a return to the vagaries of British modelling. Pictures will follow soon.

Here in transatlantic contrast is another example of Hornby International models, a pristine Rivarossi C&O H8 Allegheny No.1613...  suitably set into an edited background and actually very few details added. You can sense that leading driving axle with its 38.7 imperial tons. The work of these engines was described as having 'half the state of West Virginia tied to their tails'.  13,500 tons was the norm. A second similar engine pushing on steeper grades.

post-7929-0-61193900-1496455325_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Some great pictures and suggestions on here. I am going to stick in anothe vote for the Hornby Q1. It may be an ugly looking beast, but Hornby have done a great job of capturing it in model form - so good that I had to have one. Of course all the Hornby models look too clean.

• RMweb Gold

Some great pictures and suggestions on here. I am going to stick in anothe vote for the Hornby Q1. It may be an ugly looking beast, but Hornby have done a great job of capturing it in model form - so good that I had to have one. Of course all the Hornby models look too clean.

Fear not, a Q1 will be gracing these pages (once again) in a few loco's time (after 6909, 30845 & 35018 BIL version 2) ;)

In the meantime another of those dirty WR Heavy Tanks, that certain people drool over ;)

post-7000-0-34826100-1496585417_thumb.jpg

And I finished this winged beastie too...

post-7000-0-19617300-1496585476_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Fear not, a Q1 will be gracing these pages (once again) in a few loco's time (after 6909, 30845 & 35018 BIL version 2) ;)

In the meantime another of those dirty WR Heavy Tanks, that certain people drool over ;)

attachicon.gif5235_rh.jpg

attachicon.gifdo1714.jpg

Aren't pictures cruel. The canopy has a gap between it and the fuselage, probable not noticeable to the naked eye but point a camera at it and it shows up. 

Nice bit of modelling though.

Next one how about a large model of the " Mossie"

• RMweb Gold

Aren't pictures cruel. The canopy has a gap between it and the fuselage, probable not noticeable to the naked eye but point a camera at it and it shows up. 

Nice bit of modelling though.

Next one how about a large model of the " Mossie"

The canopy is a pig to line up properly, due to the side mounted machine guns (the mounts are part of the fuselage) and the fuselage shape. I didn't use glue, I used varnish to fix the canopy so it was easy to rectify.

It won't be the big scale Mossie, it will be the 1:24 Hawker Typhoon which is a far more detailed kit and is going to take an age to build. Commissions allowing I should make a start on it in the coming weeks...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif5235_rh.jpg

attachicon.gifdo1714.jpg

Nice 52xx!

And, umm the.......  Whips out copy of EyeSpy Hun Kites   nice AA recognition model of a Flying Pencil!

• RMweb Gold

Tut tut.....It's still got its name and number plates... :tomato:

At one point while I was having issues removing the flitch plates, I seriously considered​ doing Frewin Hall without its nameplates.... ;)

Edited by toboldlygo