Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

As I hit the 8 month date tomorrow I thought I'd just update what I've done this week (not much been away again!). Having had a look at various photos as Paul suggested I abandoned the idea of yellow paint everywhere!

110_CC1_261014.jpg.345630cd1884193e6259fb32c90cf151.jpg

The loader has had the structure's framework and staircase painted a darkish grey colour (Sector body upper) and the outer sheeting a much lighter grey. I also decided to go with blue doors on the equipment room and tried to get it close to the blue of the ECC signs that Paul produced (Cheers fella).

111_CC2_261014.jpg.6778da577c3db8dd1fccc42a7be9af66.jpg

You can also see that I weathered the brickwork with a chalky white colour and then the track underneath with the leftovers plus a generous helping of ground chalk. The tanker is standing where the washing shed will be once its built.

112_CC3_261014.jpg.297dcddbe06db34537f7f2c4bd147f4e.jpg

Overall view of the whole facility with the card mock up of the wash shed back in place, the real thing will hopefully be a little more subtle again based on the one at Quidhampton.

The doors need another coat of blue and then the whole thing will get an overall weathering of dirt, rust and chalk.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening fellas

I'm probably asking for trouble here and a deluge of posts telling me it can't be done blah blah, but this weekend I took the plunge and made a couple of purchases before setting about them with a saw! Yes it's that hardy annual the 3H (thumper) centre car and my plan to add one to my recently bought Connex 2 car unit from Kernow. I looked closely at the Replica coach option and decided against it, and so I picked up a couple of Bachmann 57' suburbans to bash into something resembling a centre car.

113_3Hcentre_021114.jpg.b888f8c151e7f85b9f604659d78c8c39.jpg

As you can see, all I had time to do was hack off one compartment from the end of the first coach and strip the underframe ready for the next stage. The next bit is the important bit where I need to measure up carefully (at least twice) the correct amount to cut off the other coach, but it'll basically be two compartments and then join them together seamlessly! Followed by a similar process for the underframe.

With this in mind does anyone out there have good closeup photos of the underframe gubbins on the centre coach along with a decent shot of the roof and the vent positions. please? I've done the usual trawl of the internet but pics of the centre car are few and far between.

I'm sure this won't be a 100% accurate representation of the real thing but as long as it looks nearly right and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb I'll be happy and I'm sure 90% of punters at an exhibition won't notice the odd missing rivet or two.  ;)

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening Ian

A very brave man with the saw indeed, but I'm sure it will work out, and looking forward to driving it on Tidworth.

Phil

Morning mate

Wasn't sure whether you were back yet, I took a saw to the other coach tonight and the two bits are not a bad fit, although I haven't joined them yet as I'm still in the process of removing detail that isn't needed anymore!

You have a PM by the way.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Just a quick update although the pics aren't the greatest taken in the conservatory after dark!

115_3Hcentre_061114.jpg.fb9633a7ddb8b8d3cda77f65abd452f8.jpg

Looks like we have a 3H!

114_3Hcentre_061114.jpg.8fd45bf10b2370ecc39213938e01cef8.jpg

Can you see the join?

As you can see the two coaches have been butchered into one to form a passable centre car for the thumper. There's a bit of filling to do and the framework needs replacing underneath which will sort out the very slight sag that the coach has at the moment. However, I think it will come good in the end once I get hold of 10 vents for the roof (any ideas where fellas?), interior from Replica as well as the rubbing plates for the ends, plus the glazing once it's painted. Having not attempted anything like this before, I've quite enjoyed the project so far and sorting issues as I go along.

I'll take some more pics tomorrow or over the weekend before it gets dark.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 12

Hi Ian,

That centre coach looks great, is the glazing for the coach flush like the Bachmann model? 

The Dart Castings website lists MJT coach bits which might be worth a try.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Pete

The original glazing isn't flush but Replica glazing can be used for the Bachmann suburbans apparently so I think it will look pretty much the same as the Bachmann originals in the thumper once finished. Thanks for the Dart tip I found them last night as well and they seem to have what I need.

The thing I'm pondering at the moment is coupling the three cars together and the electrical connection for the head and tail lights. The coupling bars with the contacts are available as a spare but not the sockets to put them in so it could be a separate plug and socket for the lectrikery.

Edited by Temeraire

• RMweb Gold

Could you fix the coupling bars permanently to the centre coach hard wired in? I think the pocket is NEM, as I used kadees in the CEP, so look for NEM ho pockets possibly.

Here we go

http://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-105377/nem-coupling-pocket-pair-Dapol-oo-class-2

Or lots of the Bachmann coupler spares come with the wagon style with the flexi mount but that might be a challenge to glue in unless you copy the wedge shape friction mount.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Evening chaps

As you may have seen elsewhere Paul has gone public with Tidworth's exhibition debut date for next April 18-19th 2015 at the Wimborne show.

http://www.wimrail.org.uk/exhib00.html

That means I now have a definite target date to get things in order as I have accepted their kind offer to attend.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Suggest you get off RMweb and crack on with the layout then!

Yeah funny ha ha!  :blum:

Spent some time tonight filling the centre car for the 3H unit and have ordered some bits and pieces to add to it. I plan to get it ready for painting with the 2H as soon as possible and will then crack on with the layout.

Edited by Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Just a quick pic or two, last night's filling has now been rubbed down and I reckon once the paint is on the joint should be near invisible.

IMG_7712.jpg.8719ba19fd6ef08874ea69a92bd35992.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg.9440cc07a5e683c411ec54a8a1262ec7.jpg

As you can see all the roof ribbing has been removed to match the 2H and all the vents removed ready for the new ones to be fitted when they arrive from Dart.

IMG_7715.jpg.a051a73e92a1e339994e142274f909fa.jpg

Extreme close up showing that the two coaches are not a bad match and again once the NSE paint scheme is on, the centre coach should be a reasonable representation of a 3H unit.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Having put the thumper aside while I order some bits for it, today I spent the afternoon and all tonight knocking up the washing shed for the clay facility and have literally just finished it! Obviously too late for pics but I may get a couple tomorrow morning before it gets a coat of primer and now that this is done the only structure now left to build is the station building. I might make April yet! ;)

I liked the announcement of a new 117 DMU today, although I will probably still get on with my Lima hatchet job that is still in the 'queue', as I guess the new one is two years away at least.

• Like 3