Temeraire

Well after that I think I'll redo mine as well, even if I just remove the big 'PROCOR' branding and replace it with the smaller version, of which I've got a load left over from my PGA re-liveries.

post-14906-0-85100100-1411338056.jpg

They've got to be the right ones judging by the size on that picture from P Bartlett's site.

Just another job to add to the list!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

• Like 2

Hi Ian, 

You are still making good progress, it looking good.

I have a UKF wagon somewhere I will have to remove the Procor signage, I will need to replace the bogies some day are they still available? Also looks like some wagons are brown on the ends.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Pete

My wagons will be getting the brown ends before a good deal of weathering. As for the bogies I don't know if they're still available but I think Damian over at DiTD replaced his sometime this year if I remember correctly, so he maybe the man to ask.

EDIT: Just had a look, have a look at page 250, post 6231 onwards of the thread.

Edited by Temeraire

Cheers Pete

My wagons will be getting the brown ends before a good deal of weathering. As for the bogies I don't know if they're still available but I think Damian over at DiTD replaced his sometime this year if I remember correctly, so he maybe the man to ask.

EDIT: Just had a look, have a look at page 250, post 6231 onwards of the thread.

Thanks Ian,

Damian has used Cambrian bogies which as he said are close but not quite the right ones. I only have one so might get the correct ones which my friend tells me are Gloucester fast freight bogies, Whitemetal kit available by AME.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Had a day tinkering with the layout today and a bit last night and as today is '7 month day' and about halfway to the exhibition debut thought I'd update before heading for Worthing tomorrow.

101_CCW_270914.jpg.4c09dd6cdf1aee60f3cb6e6b5f700848.jpg

Overview of the China Clay facilities. The silos have gained some weathering and been permanently fixed and the warehouse has been painted and weathered before also being fixed in place. Around the silos and warehouse the ground has been covered with n gauge grey ballast mixed with crushed Hampshire chalk.

102_CCwarehouse_270914.jpg.3447cf31ff3f522b1daa9b3bca3042ea.jpg

Closer view of the warehouse weathering with a black wash and rusty colour as well as a greeny shade to simulate mossy growth, what do you think?

104_Dockroof_270914.jpg.fd20ff512ed3526d1c75c4fd11ae3f09.jpg

Whilst I had a mucky black wash made up I washed over the roof of the loading dock to tone it down a bit.

103_UKFs_270914.jpg.b64eabb71b1a11da65dfa992df32e554.jpg

Lastly the UKF vans have had some attention with all the Procor labelling removed and then the ends painted with BR bauxite colour, although this afternoon's second coat had a dash of black added to make it almost match the Lima colour perfectly. These vans will also get a thorough weathering at some point but I like the way they are looking so far.

I'll be at the Worthing Exhibition tomorrow morning from 10am and loitering around Loftus Road at 11am if any of you are down that way.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Weathering on the grey warehouse looks a tad too much compared to the near clean silos to me. I think it's the green moss effect which looks good in isolation in photo 2 but somehow jars with the silos. Nothing wrong with the technique just the juxtaposition doesn't quite work for me. Maybe because I'm basing my view on the pics of Quid?

I like the Switch roof and vans a lot :)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Weathering on the grey warehouse looks a tad too much compared to the near clean silos to me. I think it's the green moss effect which looks good in isolation in photo 2 but somehow jars with the silos. Nothing wrong with the technique just the juxtaposition doesn't quite work for me. Maybe because I'm basing my view on the pics of Quid?

I like the Switch roof and vans a lot :)

Serves me right for asking!  :blackeye:  :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

No worries Paul, that's why I asked to see how others saw it. Can't decide whether to tone down the warehouse or weather up the silos, but I think the latter as it wanted it all to look like it had been there years and a bit run down.

Yes the silos could do with a little bit more weathering but different materials weather in different ways. Moss needs moisture to form and the corrugated surfaces of the building would probably be "mossier" than the silos as the high bits of the corrugations would cast some shade over the lower bits which would mean that moisture would linger for longer. Similarly, the North side of any building would also start to turn green before the South side as it would spend more time in the shade.

The Palvans look good Ian. New etched brake hand wheels from 51L also lift the appearance (along with shaving down the existing brackets) especially as you. seem to be missing one or two !

The rest of it looks great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all

After three weeks of radio silence I took some pics this morning in the natural light to show what I've been up to lately.

105_CCloader1_181014.jpg.8bbc9f00dd600f802a25f9addf3079f4.jpg

106_CCloader2_181014.jpg.85c736d762af5ae4675b2497d063ca0e.jpg

107_CCloader3_181014.jpg.b4e65ec80ded0ac28d84d1a2be534332.jpg

Three views of the China Clay slurry loading facilities that I have fashioned from various bits of plastic and scrap, basing them loosely on the one at Quidhampton although a bit smaller to fit the space available. ten minutes after these pics were taken the whole thing was primed ready for painting and finishing before it can be finally stuck together permanently and attached to the baseboard. The blue drinking straw will also be cut down to size!

Tidworth will see a couple of RMweb visitors tomorrow so there may be more pics then, particularly a new item of rolling stock. ;)  You never know there may even be a siting of Exford Park here too, remember that??

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Thanks for all the comments much appreciated, just thought I'd post another couple of pics.

108CCloadPr_201014.jpg.f74f002a7e1e23d1898345b1029d8449.jpg

The loading facility now in primer with a tank in position to be filled, I think it already looks better in primer!

109_CCload_201014.jpg.ce39267b85c85fb8577d763c8ec26aba.jpg

A view of the staircase side. I can't decide whether to just paint it all mainly grey or to paint the staircase and railings in yellow for a bit of interest, I plan to paint the doors in the machine room at the bottom yellow, any thoughts?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/salisburyasc/4029254331/in/faves-temeraire/

This is a photo of the facility at Quidhampton that I used as inspiration.

275_205_201014.jpg.31f1bdfab754d1f1fb6402287eadf20f.jpg

Finally, a pic you may have already seen on the Exford Park thread. I finally bit the bullet and purchased a thumper for Tidworth as it is an essential for the layout really. It doesn't seem likely that there will be a 3-car unit anytime soon or even a unit in NSE so the plan is for it to have a centre car added and a repaint before the first exhibition all being well.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Loader looks superb :) not sure when they started painting everything yellow but I'd have a look for pics of terminals on the various Flickr sites of people on here to see what they looked like in that period. Look for refineries, collieries etc as they had similar structures and the photos I've been browsing are mostly grey, green and blue with either all grey or just the uprights on the ends of handrails painted white or yellow, plus covered in rust and grot :)

Oh and you have a big email of ecc signs :)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1