Wagon Identities?

johndon

• RMweb Gold

I'm starting to look at the train consists for my South Pelaw Junction layout: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79947-south-pelaw-junction/ and need help identifying a couple of wagon types so I can see if anyone makes them in 4mm scale.

First off, it's the bogie wagons in this picture:

http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/700930_6770.jpg

and secondly, the wagons directly behind the loco in this picture:

http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/BJimg410l.jpg

John

The ones in the first photo are Bolster Cs, I think- I've done a couple (one with Gloucester bogies and one with Plate bogies with roller bearings) using the Bachmann LMS/GWR (it varies as to which one's the cheapest at any given time) bogie bolster, Cambrian bogies and new buffers. You've got to remove the old bolsters and fit new ones, which is not the easiest of jobs.

The second one is of BR Plate wagons. Again, no R-T-R at present, but you can kitbash a Parkside LMS/LNER Plate with a new underframe. I used some spare Chivers Finelines MDV underframes to do a couple, and some cut-up Parkside Tube wagon underframes to do another pair. Adam on this Forum has done a nice one; he may also have done a Bolster C.

Nice to see some photos of trains carrying plate from the rolling mills of Consett to the shipyards of the Tyne; sadly, the only trains I saw coming from Consett carried the remains of the plant going off to Teesside and South Yorkshire.

There is also a solitary Boplate and further down the train a Trestle (or possibly a Trestrol, but I think a Trestle). I think Cambrian do the Boplate. The kit and RTR manufacturers have barely touched the surface of wagons that could be modelled.

Paul

You've got to remove the old bolsters and fit new ones, which is not the easiest of jobs.

This depends entirely on which diagram you are modelling. There were short bolsters, as per the Bachmann model, and taller more heavy duty versions. Generally the earlier builds had the same bolsters as the Bachmann model. In the first picture linked the first BBC has short bolsters whereas the next two have the taller type before reverting again to the short type.  

I think Cambrian do the Boplate.

Cambrian do indeed a kit for the Boplate E (kit C54) and it's not bad at all having built one. I did replace the simplex brake levers though as they didn't look great.

Plate wagons are endlessly fascinating. I'm currently working on a series of proper etched chassis kits to suit the Parkside body and there may well end up being six different ones! Lots of variety! For example there were two different BR clasp brake chassis depending on whether the wagons were new builds or the clasp brake was retrofitted to unfitted wagons, and yes there were lots of differences. Aside from differences in actual chassis construction (riveting, etc) the main brake cross shaft was in a different place which meant the brake levers were slightly different... All good fun. The first two in the picture linked are fitted with the LNER vacuum brake but look like they may be BR builds.

Justin

Plate wagons are endlessly fascinating. ....................................For example there were two different BR clasp brake chassis depending on whether the wagons were new builds or the clasp brake was retrofitted to unfitted wagons, and yes there were lots of differences.

And that's before we get to the variety of axleboxes/bearings (e.g. "split box" - "Fabricated" - "roller" - "Hybox / Athermos" ) and then there's the buffers..........

Brian R

And that's before we get to the variety of axleboxes/bearings (e.g. "split box" - "Fabricated" - "roller" - "Hybox / Athermos" ) and then there's the buffers..........

Brian R

Then you've got all the conversions...

In my trainspotting days, in late 1960s Llanelli, my preferred spot was 'first slip', where the unmetalled road from Beach Road became a footpath crossing the main line. There were a couple of sidings used to store Plate wagons for the adjacent Duport (then Llanelly Steel) plant; there being only a couple of main line trains per hour, my attention was drawn by the line of seemingly identical wagons. I quickly realised that there were two different number series, then that there were several brake types...

It's a type that's sadly lacking in 4mm, for something so widespread in its use; outside of the steel-producing areas, they could be seen carrying large lumps of rock (Peak District to Thames Barrier), road vehicles (both military and civilian) nationwide, agricultural machinery, again nationwide. Even when carrying metal, they turned up in odd locations, such as Cornwall (pig-iron for Compair) and Devon (steel plate to Barnstaple), well away from the industrial heartland. I've even seen photos of them carrying finished timber to Melton Mowbray.

The best start you can have in getting to grips with the BR Plate Wagon - is the Model Railway Constructor Annual 1983 which contains a 'Datafile' article "BR Plate wagons and some related conversions" by Paul Bartlett & Trevor Mann.

The article contains details of the various Plate diagrams and lots together with a variety of conversions from the BR Plate, including several  'Conflats' - Timber P - Coil D, E, F & R an experimental 'Pallet' and 'Plaice' wagons.

MRC annuals can be picked up for but a few quid secondhand - worth the outlay just for the Datafile articles published for a few years before the magazine (and annual) were wound up. 

Full number series of most conversions can be found in Dave Larkin's Data Sheets, and his series of books.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

The best start you can have in getting to grips with the BR Plate Wagon - is the Model Railway Constructor Annual 1983 which contains a 'Datafile' article "BR Plate wagons and some related conversions" by Paul Bartlett & Trevor Mann.

The article contains details of the various Plate diagrams and lots together with a variety of conversions from the BR Plate, including several  'Conflats' - Timber P - Coil D, E, F & R an experimental 'Pallet' and 'Plaice' wagons.

MRC annuals can be picked up for but a few quid secondhand - worth the outlay just for the Datafile articles published for a few years before the magazine (and annual) were wound up. 

Full number series of most conversions can be found in Dave Larkin's Data Sheets, and his series of books.

Brian R

Thanks for that, just picked on up for a couple of quid.

John

Brian R

The one slight gripe I have with all the drawings of the wagon with 8-shoe BR brake-gear is that all the elevations seem to be of the same side: I found it quite difficult to be certain what the V-hanger on the 'dark' side  looked like. I could see that the visible one was asymetrical; it took a while to work out that the other was a 'normal' one.

Archived