TRAINWEST 2015 - 11 & 12 April

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

My feet hurt!

Geoff Endacott

Is that why you were doing tickets at the door when I arrived? I always thought that the point of being Exhibition Manager was to avoid that particular chore.

Good exhibition with plenty of outstanding layouts and no duffers. Only slight critique would be a bit of a lack of Continental and US.

As with so many sports halls, the lighting is awful. Most of the layouts had good lighting of their own but some of the trade stands too gloomy to see what they were trying to sell.

My tip: Ignore the Parking signs that take you to the overflow car park, a bit of a trek from the hall. Plenty of on-street parking much closer.

Ten hours to set up Greasley Beat! I know it takes a while to set up and also break down after the show I think it took four hours after the show close at Railex for the vans to be leaving.

Depends what team are on. Best we have done is 1.75 hrs from close of show to loaded in lorries, that was at the Swindon show.

Stock starts coming off a couple of hours before end of show.

Setting up is normally about 2 hrs for setting up layout plus 4 hrs putting on stock.

Martin

Just got back. Positives are the really good layouts, not a failure between them at all, good traders too. The negatives are very poor parking, didn't see any sign to overflow car park, didn't see a sign to a car park for that matter (so I had to park on the road about a quarter of a mile away), and the dreadful catering arrangements, did the café really have to smell of mould?

Never mind the railways were ever so good, very good indeed, and it was well worth the trip just for them which is what it's all about.

Regards

Had a cracking day operating Lydgate, had so much fun forgot to have a good look round at all the other layouts!

Shall make sure I get wandering around at some point tomorrow. Sure seemed busy enough from all the punters in front of the layout, here's hoping for another good day sunday.

Few pics I managed to grab of Lydgate

oh and just to make it clear I am just an operator, Mr Spencer is the builder and owner of the masterpiece Lydgate.

post-4966-0-55064400-1428780499_thumb.jpg

post-4966-0-28007900-1428780565_thumb.jpg

post-4966-0-66315900-1428780620_thumb.jpg

post-4966-0-46971000-1428780676_thumb.jpg

post-4966-0-80245400-1428780737_thumb.jpg

This is always the best show I get to see each year, and I thought this years is really excellent.

It was difficult to pick a stand out layout, though Lydgate is really superb, there were many I really enjoyed and could have spent longer at the show, 

It was good to see layouts I have seen on RMWeb and meet some more RMWebbers for the first time and have a chat,

Banbury was not as I remembered it in 1983, but Thorne Yard was exactly as I recall the 1980s,

thank you all

cheers

Have to agree Lydgate was sensational. Never seen it before and can't wait to see it again. The photos above really capture a superb piece of observation. Well done to all concerned. Inspiring and an inspired choice!

Mike

Things are rather pointing to a move elsewhere next year.

I can only apologise for the problems with car parking. Wiltshire Council have sold part of the main car park for development. This follows their decision two years ago to sell the overflow car park for development,

I only found out about the loss of part of the main car park two weeks ago. I was assured by the Christie Miller Sports Centre that they had sourced an alternative car park "two minutes" away. I think they meant two minutes by car - it was half a mile away.

Sunday is always the quieter of the two days so there should be spaces in the main car park tomorrow. If not, a lot of the on-street parking is nearer than the official overflow.

The cafe doesn't smell of anything because it has been closed down. The temporary arrangements are in the bowls hall which, I suppose, smells of bowlers.

As for overseas layouts, this is always a problem because there don't seem to be that many available. I always welcome recommendations. Next year's roster already includes two French layouts and one American.

Geoff Endacott

Exhibition Manager, Trainwest

Just arrived back at our 'digs' after a very enjoyable day! The exhibition if you're in 2 minds is most definitely worth a visit! Great layouts, good trade and a fantastic atmosphere! Geoff and the club members host a very hospitable show! Thorne Yard after the initial Hic-ups settled down to a nice steady rhythm with only the failing eyesight of the operators and 3 link couplings causing an issue! Nice to meet fellow RMwebbers and had a very pleasant chat with Rivercider. Fingers crossed got another good day tomorrow then the long trip home!

The cafe doesn't smell of anything because it has been closed down. The temporary arrangements are in the bowls hall which, I suppose, smells of bowlers.

The Indoor Bowls area was placarded as the café and it smells, not of bowlers, but of mould. I would be very surprised indeed if, as a site for the sale and consumption of food and drink, it didn't fail the health regulations.

Putting that to one side, the show itself was a cracker one of the very best I've been to for several years.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

A very enjoyable show, I went this afternoon and eventually saw Abbotswood in the flesh, one of my "must sees" and caught up for a nice chat with Phil Bullock especially a bit of hydraulicry and reminiscing about the glorious 70s. A pleasure to meet you Phil after we've had a lot of dialogue on here over the years. I agree that Lydgate was stunning, simply beautiful scenic work, and the sheer scale of Gresley beat was very impressive too. I felt that every layout was great quality and congrats to Geoff and the team for a well organised show.

Managed to pick up a large boiler 7F resin body to add to my 7F roster from Golden arrow, a very neat moulding. A show I will earmark on my annual calendar and nearby Lacock is a place I know well from fishing. It is a nice location to leave the family who don't share my railway affliction, and there is a very pleasant garden centre there too.

I've come home suitably enthused and inspired from what I saw for an enjoyable hour and a bit.

Neil

On my way home now by train. The van is ahead of me on the motorway back to Darlington but I'm in hot persuit!!!! A very enjoyable weekend and thanks to the hospitality of of hosts at the show made it a great experience.

Andy.

Excellent show as always. We did Cheltenham in the morning and took advantage of the post 1pm entry discounted price. It was quiet in the hall, so I hope attendance was OK for the organisers . There is always a good selection of quality layouts each year and again this year was no exception. I wouldn't want to choose any favourites but as a diesel era modeller there was real quality on display so you can imagine which ones I was drawn to. My annual pilgrimage over fromWales was well worth it for my 10 th successive visit.

Tony

Archived