Β 

New Series on Alaska R.R. on Discovery channel (UK)

Enjoyed the first episode. Thought Whittier was grim in July 2010 but in the depths of winter it is even worse. Interesting to see the GP40s in use on the freight run to Anchorage as I thought the SD70ACs worked most of the freight.Β 

Β 

Looking forward to the rest of the series,but must resist the temptation to model the AAR, especially as Kato have just released the E8 and coaches.Β 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally caught up with it last night over here when they had a marathon of back to back episodes on the Animal Planet channel (Why?).

Β 

Once you've got over the fact that the producers make these programs to appeal to more people than Railroad Modellers then it's really quite enjoyable...

Β 

As Jez stated above one of my favourite episode was snow plows one - 3 operaters and one spotter in the cab of the large "spreader", and the one where they cut out some sections of track (one a washout, the other a splintering of the rail head). Another interesting one was where they shunt Β freight cars Β off the rather large and deluxe barge. I can"t remember the location.

Β 

I'd like the job of tooling around in a Hi-Rail truck with a 45-70 Calibre Rifle and a 12 Gauge Shotgun shooting down icicles.....

Β 

The SD70MAC's look particularly attractive in their livery, I thought.

Β 

Best, Pete.

I finally caught up with it last night over here when they had a marathon of back to back episodes on the Animal Planet channel (Why?).

I'm not sure why they would run this in binge mode on Animal Planet either.

Β 

I've watched most of 5 of the first 6 episodes. I normally avoid any Discovery Communications 'reality' shows like the plague, but I have found this one to be interesting. The permanent way crews on the Alaska Railroad certainly have a lot to do.

Β 

I thought using a field howitzer to create an prophylactic avalanche was a bit over the top. Not too many PW crews get to do that.

Dear Pete,

Β 

Those barges aren't the Sea-Train carfloats shuttling between Seattle and Alaska, are they?

Β 

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Β 

There are two rail barge operations to Whittier, Alaska Marine and Foss Barge. http://ogdenbrotherstrains.blogspot.com/2013/11/where-rails-meet-sea.htmlΒ Seatrain Lines was an entirely separate operation that variously operated between New York (actually NJ), Cuba, Puerto Rico, Savannah, New Orleans, and Texas, and is long defunct. There is also a container barge operation between Seattle and Seward, where containers are transloaded onto railcars, but not railcars themselves.

Β 

The Seward-Anchorage section is by far the most interesting scenically and engineering-wise, although except for a biweekly train, the cruise trains don't take that route.

I agree, it is spoilt by the usual over dramatic commentary. Also the set up scenarios of the off gridders like the woman who forgot to pack formula for her baby (really?) And she had to trek two hours cross country with her baby strapped to her. Why risk the child like that? Why not just leave it safe with her friend and go in to town? Also they keep going on about the ever present danger of being alone. Alone with a film crew watching their every move???

Β 

Mind you, I did like the guys with the avalanche cannon : BOOM! Whooooooosh!!! One line buried under tons of snow. Brilliant!

Also they keep going on about the ever present danger of being alone. Alone with a film crew watching their every move???

It reminds me a bit of the "adventure" episodes of Top Gear where the lads are braving the wilds of Burma or Bolivia or wherever, but you never see the fleet of black Range Rover camera cars that come with them.

• 9 months later...

Hi all

A new series which started last night at 9pm.

I wish they had shown more on the recovery of the bulldozer from the bottom of the lake ,but then again it is a series about a railroad.

Quite interesting first programme, hope they don't over do the dramatic commentary .

Jez

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

A new series which started last night at 9pm.

I wish they had shown more on the recovery of the bulldozer from the bottom of the lake ,but then again it is a series about a railroad.

Quite interesting first programme, hope they don't over do the dramatic commentary .

Jez

Ta for the heads up.Β Β  I hadn't realised that it had started butΒ  fortunately it's being repeadted at 13.00 today so I can catch it.

Β 

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

[spolier alert] - it's already been on over here, and I think I watched the lot. A new train crew (no more "Animal"!) and the same over-dramatic commentary, and more than a few crazy off-gridders,Β but some really good focus on the Maintenance of Way crews in particular, plus more focus on some of the varied loads the ARR moves. Definitely recommended!

• 3 weeks later...

[spolier alert] - it's already been on over here, and I think I watched the lot. A new train crew (no more "Animal"!) and the same over-dramatic commentary, and more than a few crazy off-gridders,Β but some really good focus on the Maintenance of Way crews in particular, plus more focus on some of the varied loads the ARR moves. Definitely recommended!

Thanks, John - I was getting deja vu all over again....

The clearing of ice falls definitely novel for fans in Britain.

Β 

Best, Pete.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just finished over here.. another good series (think that's 3 now?)

Β 

What's very obvious from this series (apart from the usual continuity errors where "library" flypast shots are used of some trains which aren't the locos in use on that particular run, is the large proportion of MoW equipment in heavy usage, something the US modeling community seems to have less of available for purchase. Hi-Rail pickups, Caterpillar equipment on flats, etc - all crying out to be modelled!

Archived