Β 

New Series on Alaska R.R. on Discovery channel (UK)

Well we have had ice Road Truckers,,,,,Alaska last frontier,,,Yukon men,,and now coming soon on Discovery UK a new series--" Railroad Alaska" those with SKY watch your schedule planner first plug ive seen was on broadcast Wednesday 12th.

Well we have had ice Road Truckers,,,,,Alaska last frontier,,,Yukon men,,and now coming soon on Discovery UK a new series--" Railroad Alaska" those with SKY watch your schedule planner first plug ive seen was on broadcast Wednesday 12th.

Β 

Yeah - that looks well worth a watch:

http://www.destinationamerica.com/tv-shows/railroad-alaska/railroad-alaska-videos/sneak-peek.htm

First I heard about it, thanks!

If I can't sleep they are having a TV marathon on the "Destination America" channel tomorrow night (for us American viewers).

Β 

I'm going to add "Alaska Railroad" to the title heading...

Β 

Β 

Β 

Best, Pete.

I'm also rather hoping that the Discovery (group of channels) do a series on a typical Shortline operation in the USA.....

Β 

Best, Pete.

Pete, just to clarify the time I quoted was for Discovery Europe shown on Sky in UK. Not sure that it's valid for US.

Β 

I'm sure that if this a success there will be other similar documentaries done.

Β 

On a similar vein to ARR, my favourite DVDs atm are the two done by Pentrex on the Quebec Mining lines (Cartier, QNS&L etc). Would love to see how they manage in the winter on those lines given the number and size of the trains they operate. Real wilderness railroading at its best. Would love to be able to model the QNS&L if I had the space and the cash, I have a soft spot for SD40-2s so 1990s would be my chosen era :-).

Β 

Cheers

Β 

Chris M

Dear RMWebbers,

Β 

Let's hope it focusses on the RR ops, and doesn't go for (insert hollywood action-movie voice-over here) "....100000 pound of passenger train stops seconds from disaster (at the end of a controlled passing loop, well clear of the signal and CTC turnout) as an ore train with no-one in the cab (LocoTrol mu unit-train) bears down on them (over a mile distant)..." .

Β 

The Discovery "Ax men" series was ruined for me as a logging modeller due to such "drama over natural action" issues, as was the US edition of the Big Moves/MegaMovers series (NB that the UK/Euro series didn't seem to have anywhere near as many "OMG, what just happerned???" High drama moments).

Β 

Hope this isn't the same... (railroading is exciting/engaging as-is, no need for sound-byte drama additions...)

Β 

Happy Modelling,

Aim to improve,

Prof Klyzlr

The most nauseating contrived series is "Wild West Guns" - also set in Alaska, due to tax breaks - obviously scripted and so badly acted it can be quite funny in a cringe-making way.

All I can say is: "Thank God we don't have to pay for a TV license over here..."

Β 

Best, Pete.

Give me a TV licence any day, if it means I can get rid of all these intrusive commercials, which make a program that should be half an hour, last 1 hour or more.... yuck!Β 

I tend to almost exclusively watch the BBC, (even though they show too many adds for other programs they're promoting), and DVD's. I just have 0 tolerance for commercial breaks, and tend to skip past ITV and other commercial channels here.

Discovery used to be OK'ish', but also there for several years the adds are dominant now (and of course the breaks coincide with breaks on other channels, so there's no escaping them.....)

Β 

rant over :-)Β 

• RMweb Premium

Give me a TV licence any day, if it means I can get rid of all these intrusive commercials, which make a program that should be half an hour, last 1 hour or more.... yuck!Β 

I tend to almost exclusively watch the BBC, (even though they show too many adds for other programs they're promoting), and DVD's. I just have 0 tolerance for commercial breaks, and tend to skip past ITV and other commercial channels here.

Discovery used to be OK'ish', but also there for several years the adds are dominant now (and of course the breaks coincide with breaks on other channels, so there's no escaping them.....)

Β 

rant over :-)Β 

Fortunately the ad breaks are so long that I can a) Brew a pot of tea b.)Β Go to the loo c) complete a Sudoku puzzle before the program comes back. :paint:Β  :mail:Β Β 

The various PBS channels are ad free - unless they are touting for cash.

Feel free to pay the government $200 per annum - 99% of channels in the UK have ads.

Β 

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete, that's exactly what I would like to do if I could get rid of the ads. Indeed 99% of the channels here do have ads, so I honestly only watch that 1% in general, unless I really have no other choice.Β 

Β 

I guess it's a personal choice (and a personal pet hate of me) but more and more quality TV is being ruined by intrusive ads or sponsor ships.. So if its a movie I want to watch, I generally rent it on DVD or similar.

Yep, the ad duration on some of the documentary channels here in the UK is sooooo bad, I've taken to recording everything on the Sky box and then skipping through them...

Exactly what I do. Some of the stuff on Discovery and National Geographic is crap but there are some really good and well balanced documentaries such as Alaska the Last Frontier and Yukon Men. PBS can be excellent but the BBC still gets my vote. Top Gear tonight :-))).....

yeah, recording something and then skipping through stuff is one way, but I remember when I was a kid, I didn't have to do that, to see quality TV...

If only those boxes were intelligent enough not to record the commercials in the first place, and just have one continuous episode.....

Β 

Oh well, I'll probably am fighting a losing battle, most people are so used to it, they don't know better anymore, of learned to live with it, I somehow can't, oh well, thank god for SPV and Pentrex etc. :-)

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed it. It's as much about living "off-Grid" in Alaska, and how the railroad is a lifeline, as it is about railroad operations, though. None the worse for that, in my opinion.

Β 

It certainly brought back happy memories of my vacation in Alaska, and re-awakened the desire to go back sometime. And possibly model a small piece of the ARR...

Agreed, a lot of stuff about off grid living and the operation and maintenance of the railroad in arctic conditions which is good to understand. Also I never get tired of material on Whittier, a location created for modelling. :-) thought the chap with one arm and the animal hat was interesting. The birds seemed to like his moose casserole!

To be honest I would much rather have just watched Top Gear then done an hour's modelling which I used to do on Sunday evenings. Would have then watched this on fast forwards over the course of a few days. Unfortunately have been laid up for a few days with yet another infection following an op last year. Watching too much TV atm but hopefully will be able to get up and about tomorrow and get some stuff done.

Β 

TTFN

Β 

Chris

Archived