Parcels point

naturol

Finally acquired a free length of kitchen work top and installed it last night in the small bedroom we use as the office, freeing up a massive amount of space for my freelance drawing work, and modelling. The first picture shows how little space I had, and the second shows the vast improvement,

Third up is the jig I used to cut the column bases for the trusses, cut from 5mm styrene tube.

post-9901-0-26817600-1394730727_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-02495400-1394730740_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-01101100-1394730751_thumb.jpg

So back to the modelling, I went to ikea the other night and bought the decorative LED lamps that run off 2x1.5v AA batteries, these bulbs are about 85mm apart so can be used easily on my trusses at 80mm centres to act as lighting up in the truss roof casting down light onto the platforms, the wires will be cut at the end of the building and new tails dropped below the base board to run to the batteries which will be set in the main centre board

post-9901-0-40355900-1394730945_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-29338200-1394730975_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-48527500-1394730985_thumb.jpg

Parcel just arrived from Liverpool as I'm leaving the house, so don't know what condition the 128 will be in yet, hopefully pristine tip top.

Picked up some knightwing fencing for the front, and just been to see the maunsell push pull sets as I want to make the Chipmans weed killing train with a Bachmann class25 propelling it, with the tanks and the guv will be well over £100.00 so watch this space.

Question.

What are the mineral wagons doing in this shot ?

Possibly being used as skips. It's possible there was a general clean up / clear out going on, also the engineers occasionally had a 'scrap drive' and cleared up all the detritus of old chairs, bolts, fishplates etc that they habitually left lying around the place.

Cracking layout !

Possibly being used as skips. It's possible there was a general clean up / clear out going on, also the engineers occasionally had a 'scrap drive' and cleared up all the detritus of old chairs, bolts, fishplates etc that they habitually left lying around the place.

Cracking layout !

Thanks for the info, had an inclin that was the general idea, will add a bit more operational interest to shunt them about, the next question would be where did they originate? How were they tripped there, ? As my layout is completely freelance I can do as I please but it's good to have some factual background,

Paul.

Back from the party, cut the grass, ticked off the chores list, paid maximum attention to my honey for over 24 hours, I can now open my Heljan 128, and start on the scenic break building windows, I must thank rob from Lendons model shop in Cardiff who personally dropped off the wills parts at my house over the weekend, so there is some serious me, me, me,time happening later,

Sourced some Kharki paint as the side of the rails need painting to break down the sole less black,

Have the PVA, tile, scissors, and 10mm fibres ready for the long grass tufts to, so plenty to keep me busy.

Priced up the chipmans weedkilling train elements and about £120.00 will sort it, but need to keep it under the radar so to speak.

Precision labels john peck will get a call this week to see what he has to detail the coaches and TTAs that ran on it.

The big BUT, however is I've been offered more freelance drawing work, and the choice to project manage the groundwork on a semi being built by a mate, and just signed for another investment property to convert, so time to model is well down the priority list.

And I still don't have a van with an MOT to take my stuff about, doh.

Answers on a postcard please,

An EWS 66 just went passed the garden with the Colas support train and a self propelling crane just like my earlier effort, are,nt Sunday diversions a treat on the vale of Glamorgan line.

so with all the planned layout work to and new work opportunity you cant miss out on, when does one have time to eat, sleep and oh breath once in awhile then ? look forward to all the upcoming work updates.

cheers

Had an hour on the buildings so here is a bit of progress, this is the central canopy, with the ikea

LEDs fitted waiting for the droppers, the columns were again a little uneven, so styrene tube column bases were added and then picked out in brown paint, it sits a bit better on the work top surface, just hope the platform is as level. Lol.

post-9901-0-73286100-1395000496_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-26376200-1395000520_thumb.jpg

Started then on the scenic break building, fitted the wills windows, then glued on some clear acetate sheet for the glazing, cut from the blister pack on the wills parts, this was then given a lick of white acrylic and wiped back as if the windows were white washed, a few had thin ply glued across the rear as if boarded up, the roof was given a light green dusting to represent steel sheeting, the gas main pipe was added also and the tunnel area blackened up, paint the brickwork next and pick out detail.

post-9901-0-10909500-1395001047_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-69541200-1395001070_thumb.jpg

The track has received a coat of Matt black as a base for the oily residue of station track work, I think the kadee magnet is a bit obvious so need to obscure it some how, possibly with weeds or something.

post-9901-0-82105700-1395001324_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-33290500-1395001339_thumb.jpg

Going to have a go at a parcel DMU, a local second hand dealer, Martyn Parry, has sourced a lima 117 in green, will collect it at the Cogan swap meet in a few weeks, the idea is to create a likeness of the attached picture, got a spare DCC chip so will give it a go,

post-9901-0-54065400-1395001857_thumb.jpg

Having a good splurge now as updates will be a little infrequent this week, found this in the scrap box to add to the Brut collection which so far numbers 8 Bachmann examples,

This fret has has ERH Francis 1990 on the etch, but I don't know where I got it from, but if I can find more and it's competitive to the Bachmann ones then bingo, the detail is a bit more intricate, I think I will need around 20 in total, together with a substantial collection of small parcels and sacks,

post-9901-0-21079600-1395002335_thumb.jpg

Finally found the shot of a building with character for the vacant space in the rear RHS at the buffer end, Manchester mayfield, has the brick base I'm after, plenty of height, and some stone, will take some of the feel and create a space filler at the scenic break end linking the over line building to the back of the canopy, like a down ramp or similar, will mock up a foam board rough first and temp fix to back scene at both ends.

post-9901-0-72064600-1395004673_thumb.jpg

This is Emmett, he is a master builder, and he is awesome, got the whole team on this project, now let's check those instructions again, "the island platform goes where ?"

Sorry bro...... It had to be done......

Ps can I borrow 4 x 16 ton mineral wagons,

With all credit to the Lego movie.

post-9901-0-16831700-1395005798_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium
 naturol, on 16 Mar 2014 - 20:39, said:

Having a good splurge now as updates will be a little infrequent this week, found this in the scrap box to add to the Brut collection which so far numbers 8 Bachmann examples,

This fret has has ERH Francis 1990 on the etch, but I don't know where I got it from, but if I can find more and it's competitive to the Bachmann ones then bingo, the detail is a bit more intricate, I think I will need around 20 in total, together with a substantial collection of small parcels and sacks,

They are from the Shire Scenes range by Dart Castings. http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire/S27.php £7.00 for 3, but out of stock at the moment.

They are from the Shire Scenes range by Dart Castings. http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire/S27.php £7.00 for 3, but out of stock at the moment.

Also had a Ping message from PH Designs, he does some etchings of the bruts also, had a look online and I will be going this way forward will need to order around 5-6 packs with 4 bruts in each pack, thanks for the link, shame out of stock.

With regard to Manchester mayfield, had ten mins spare earlier so roughed up an A3 print on the CAD of the building facade, counted the bricks as a guide to scale, assuming they are imperial and allowing a slight tolerance it has the height and character that I'm after all right. I will attack the foam board later and make a start, see attached for the printed outline at 4mm scale.

post-9901-0-56068500-1395077443_thumb.jpg

They are available from Ten Comandments.

I bought a couple of packs at Warley and make up into very nice BRUTES.

There a few photos on my Acacia Avenue thread ...

Nice, took a bit of finding through , long thread, nice photos too. Nice touch with the gates though.

More foam board please nurse. And through in a 10a swann Morton blade.

Ain't got any windows that size mind, so it will need to be laser cut plywood ones, will get the order in tomorow. Normally a week turn around,

post-9901-0-77894300-1395095741_thumb.jpg

Not much modelling this week, work and domestic commitments, now a weekend of design work planned and a timber decking patio to build. As the money comes in it goes straight out, my van failed the mot last month and has been SORN on the drive! but got an invite to the Cheltenham show in two weekends time with Ranelagh bridge, so £200 welding and bits and bobs needed on Monday. So that I can get to show. On a positive got the keys to my next investment property today, so start a loft conversion next week as well, but that's fun work.....

So modelling.......

Gave my mate Simon, a piece of styrene sheet and some sketches of the windows I wanted burnt on the laser, based on those for the mayfield street building, within 24 hours he had the attached frets for me. BUT. The styrene warped and blistered, so be burnt them in card instead , in fact they look better, will fix with PVA, will spend some time on them over the weekend,

Mason the little kid next door wants to run his trains on the layout, he called with his dad earlier. Can I play trains on Sunday ?

Started being called Roy Cropper as well, bet I'm not the only one.

Also, prior notice for the Swansea waterfront show, last weekend in august! could see the first outing for Parcel point. It won't be at the Cardiff show this year, I will be assisting my brother, and scheduled in to taking tickets on the door.

Visited the Cardiff 4mm group this week, their layout of Pencader is coming on and is destined to be a real winner, have the chance to turn my hand to scratch building one of the structures for the layout, the main station footbridge, a covered affair in steel and corrugated iron. I have been given the downloads of the general arrangement drawing and a selection of photos, this is could be my first group build of a structure as everything up til now has been for myself, it's a bit daunting, I accept compromise, but that is not an option on this reproduction, I will need to plan and evaluate if this is within my capabilities.

Anyway here is the picture of the frets.

post-9901-0-00339700-1395438476_thumb.jpg

Archived