Parcels point

naturol

There is a guy on EBay and on here i think who does a nice looking tower block, i think its called Model railway scenery, i have seen the banner across the top of the home page.

Reasonable prices for card kits or you can download them like scalescenes.

Lokks really smart i like the idea of having the buildings like that.

Great work

Thanks for the comments,

I am not a fan of card, all my previous efforts have buckled and warped, so I prefer plastic and now the easy option of resin pre cast,

However, I will check out the reference as on this occasion I only need the back of the building so the card can face onto the board, always keep your options open I was told.

My next door neighbour, stu, has a young son called Mason, about 4 yrs old, but very switched on, well, when I have been out modelling in the garage with the up and over door up, little mason and his dad call in, and he has cracked. Mason asked Santa for a train set, and as he had been good, Santa left a horby goods set under the tree, move on two months and father and son are now Saturday regulars at my local modelling emporium, well today I missed the postman, and as a result a 12" x 3.5" x 2" parcel was left at stu,s upon my returning Mason came calling and says " hiya Rolley, what's in the box from Liverpool ?

Well he was a bit disappointed when I showed him a mkI full brake, but at least he's interested,

Well mason and dad came in and we had ten minutes on the work bench and I made up the river bldg scenic brake fascias so what do we think so far?post-9901-0-54345200-1392844933_thumb.jpg

The plan is to use ikea LED strip lights and a 3v battery pack to provide light in the windows, but only some, which will mean forming individual light boxes behind the windows I did this on Ranelagh bridge behind the Bachmann scenecraft tenement blocks, and it works well, but the layout needs to be darkened, I want to do the same under the canopies but am still in the planning stage on how to shade the whole layout. Will get a good few hours in tomorow night, then it's down time for the rugby on Friday, have got pictures of Ranelagh bridge taken by chris Nevard but can't use them till they have been in the model rail mag, but hope you will get the idea when that is published in the next few months.

Slight progress tonight on the scenic break, interspersed with work, well it pays the bills, however, need more wills windows , another three packs will kill it, but that's £12.00 plus.glued the chills on with micro strip, the bricked up and rendered windows are just the cut outs glued back in, back to front, I will mount it all on a foam board skeleton, ideally I would like to have the bulk of the build done over this weekend amongst work measuring up and drawing up two loft conversions and a garage conversion, taking both the girlfriend and dog out, taking my son out all day Saturday, watching Wales on Friday, cooking lunch Sunday, whoopee, who said weekends were for relaxing.

post-9901-0-51422800-1392932706_thumb.jpg

That sure is going to be an impressive scene break size.

Don't forget to breathe in between all of that lot and you forgot to order the microwave bed - 8 hrs sleep in 5 minutes.

presuming you get 8 hrs sleep this breaks down to....

7.5 hrs modelling time

25 minutes to relax with a cuppa

then your 5 mins ( 8 hrs micro sleep )

to start the next day all fresh.

fascinating concept you have here with loads of operating scope of not just parcel/ goods etc, but temp stabling of locos - freight wagons or even Dmu`s. the reduced line of sight idea with some look through protential if you don't fancy the car parks. you have already done the station roofing so why not do the same again but as a old run down works shop . so only need girder pillars and roof trussing and the odd bit of corrugated panelling placed only half hide the view through too tracks.  odd bits on floor to look like parts of building have been blown or fallen in etc.

just a thought which I shouldn't do as it hurts too much

cheers

So based on this concept I have sourced the following pictures which demonstrate my interpretation of this cracking suggestion, I will build the structure as described above along the front edge of the board as if it were over a ripped up siding along side the small stub platform, I am going to off load one of the car parks on eBay and buy in a single block of flats to give it some height.

post-9901-0-27597100-1393058070_thumb.jpg

The drawing is of the same shed based at Paignton and this is where I got the design for the roof trusses for the other platforms, the goods shed facility was over 300ft long, I won't be replicating that,

post-9901-0-30846700-1393058423_thumb.jpg

The main section of the two storey warehouse features on the back of the layout, I will try and upload some drawings of that later,

Have ordered a Heljan 128, in blue with full yellow ends, and set my sights on a similar one in red from a Liverpool dealer, but they have sold out at moment.

Hi Paul,

Was nice to catch up yesterday. Parcels Point is looking good, totally different compared to Castle Works. The structures you have built are quite impressive, will look forward to seeing more as it progresses.

Thanks for the tip about brambles, going to give it a go this week.

Cheers

Hi Paul,

Was nice to catch up yesterday. Parcels Point is looking good, totally different compared to Castle Works. The structures you have built are quite impressive, will look forward to seeing more as it progresses.

Thanks for the tip about brambles, going to give it a go this week.

Cheers

Attached is a picture taken off sanatorium road with the brambles laid up against the palisade fencing, something else I will be using here along the front edge where I am still undecided about whether to buy the Faller sub station or the cornerstone steel frame tower block we saw at L and b yesterday.

If you need the trestles let me know and I can arrange to meet up and drop them off, like wise next time your at Penarth road, let me know in advance and call over for a coffee to sunny Cogan.

Must be about time we held another WAG group meeting. It's over a year since we all last met up.

post-9901-0-13108100-1393172814.jpg

Progress slow on the buildings but still progress, run short of corrugated plastic, and none at LandB but tomorow I'm working close to Lendons up in llanishen so will collect some there, also short of a few struts for the roof supports, question is what to clad the front in, this will face out toward the viewer, so is it plasticard, or. Can I wait long enough to get thin ply burnt on the laser.

post-9901-0-34117500-1393251707_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-47531300-1393251722_thumb.jpg

Went to Lendons, bought a few odds and ends, the three packets of wills windows are ordered in for next week, picked up the corrugated plasticard, some tube for a pipe bridge, paint and a thin sheet of wood veneer for the side cladding, got a few hours of work now on the drawing board CAD , then it's me, me me, time.

Two emails today informing me that my Heljan 128 parcel units are on their way, one in blue and one in post office red,

Spoke to the brian tucker this weekend, an all round great modeller, asked him if he can weather my stock for me, the roster has built up well over the last few weeks so there will be some work for him.

Back to the front shed and managed to clad the roof, here is a picture of progress, decided on the Bachmann flats so depending on what sells on the last day of my eBay extravaganza tomorow evening will determine what I buy next,

The piece of track into the building on the front will not be there in future and is only to gauge the station work to follow , the idea will be that this section of track has been lifted and the building will be boarded up and abandoned.

post-9901-0-40251200-1393368302_thumb.jpg

Not best pleased, took delivery of a parcels red 128 today from a well know box shifter in the north west, only to find all the attached fine detail was lying in the box in pieces the bogie side was off as were the sand boxes steps and a buffer. I think this will be going back.

Had a blue version delivered the other day and the sand box was off that one too, great looking model but a bit delicate is my first impression.

Well anyway, spent an hour on the scenic break building and decided on the inclusion of a gas pipe on the bridge as a bit of extra detailing, still awaiting the windows which are due mid week next,

Need to source some walthers /cornerstone roof detail sets, with the air conditioning units ducts and extractors for the flat roof section,

Any comments greatly welcomed, funds bolstered tonight with the sale of my MRA set, but the DBSO. And Model rail collectors stuff didn't prove attractive at the buy now cost, so back on at a cheaper auction rate, still managing to just stay on budget with the purchases all funded by sale of old stock.

To keep costs down, a handful of Ronald McDonalds coffee stirrers are to be used to make the barrow crossing.

post-9901-0-49184200-1393453942_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-02060900-1393453956_thumb.jpg

Just had a read over this thread, nice layout you have. I shall continue to read along. Seems that damage to the 128 is a common occurrence. Have you thought of these for the tall buildings? 

http://scalescenes.com/products/T007-Office-Block

http://scalescenes.com/products/TO10-Low-Relief-Flats

I know that some modelers print them onto sticky backed A4 sheets then attach them to sheets of plastic. May work for you? 

Regards 
Scott 

Just had a read over this thread, nice layout you have. I shall continue to read along. Seems that damage to the 128 is a common occurrence. Have you thought of these for the tall buildings? 

http://scalescenes.com/products/T007-Office-Block

http://scalescenes.com/products/TO10-Low-Relief-Flats

I know that some modelers print them onto sticky backed A4 sheets then attach them to sheets of plastic. May work for you? 

I have used the scale scenes products previously, their station names and signs download is brilliant and is still used, took a look at the flats and for £4 is a tempting choice compared to the £40 Bachmann flats,

Will spend a bit more time on this issue over the weekend, cheers for the comments

Regards 

Scott

Whoever created foam board gets my vote for fantastic modelling product. Other than it quickly blunts scalpels, it's is the easiest building medium to quickly construct structures, I glue it up with supa glue from scewfix, this is just over two hours work this evening,

post-9901-0-06501300-1393535914_thumb.jpg

Spent a few hours on the buildings tonight, and will do a bit more tomorow, laid the last three short lengths of track in the station area, tomorow will also see the cobalt point motors fitted and the remaining track feeds soldered and the remaining track ballasted.

Saw the below building whilst up in llanishen this week, mainly interested in the air conditioning units, easy to use the Bachmann offering, as they are readily available compared to the cornerstone alternative that needs to be ordered, might use these on the scenic break building. The steel cladding does not really suit my ideas on the layout however.

post-9901-0-84578900-1393706774_thumb.jpg

Ihecoming on nicely Paul. Totally agree about the foam board, it was your brother who first put me on to it and I have to say it's a great material to work with and it speeded up construction of the buildings for Dragon Steels no end.

I need to update the thread with some pics when I can, yesterday saw a break from modelling to go out and phot the Northern Belle.

Cheers

Archived