Traeth Mawr -Painting Season, (mostly)

ChrisN

Also they are thrown up quite quickly, whereas I assume this was built slowly and carefully and the brickie's wages would have been relatively less than today.

I knew an old brickie chap in Malvern back along and he stated in the 1930's they had to lay at least 800 bricks a day.

And the mortar lines etc., had to look right.  

No slap dash finishes excepted - otherwise it was strip it down and do it again, in your own time = without pay, not when you feel like it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I knew an old brickie chap in Malvern back along and he stated in the 1930's they had to lay at least 800 bricks a day.

And the mortar lines etc., had to look right.  

No slap dash finishes excepted - otherwise it was strip it down and do it again, in your own time = without pay, not when you feel like it.

Penlan,

I can well believe it.  When I was a lad I had a summer job working for a decorator.  This bloke came on site, no idea who he was and began talking to the boss about when he was a young lad he had to lay 800 bricks a day.  Not sure what speed it was when they did my extension but it was not that quick.

• RMweb Gold

Chris - pop over to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106165-scc-sparkshot-custom-creations-new-launch-range/- a Nice Cambrian Large Bogie on the way which would be just up your street. 

Thank you,

It certainly would be and I would be in the market for two, eventually.  I need a total of 8 locos of most types eventually and that is assuming that all run all the time

This is just brilliant, it feels like Christmas has come early!

Happy Christmas.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

post-11508-0-19555700-1450913947_thumb.jpg

"I am not a happy man, not happy at all.  O, I ought to explain for those who do not know me, I am Mr M. Price the new Stationmaster, at the newly upgraded Traeth Mawr Station.  Very proud of that I am.  Traeth Mawr will now be, as of 1895, the station where the Dolgelley service terminates and the through carriages that used to stop at Barmouth will now finish.  That is why I have a silver cap band, because now Traeth Mawr is one of the bigger stations on the Cambrian.

"Well, to help with the increase in passengers we need a new shelter on the down platform, as you probably know and have this plan.  Lovely shelter it is too.  Now, I have spoken to the contractor; contractor mind, although the way he acts sometimes you would think he owned the railway.  Owned it?  My goodness, we are talking about the mighty Cambrian, not some toy railway like the narrow gauge Twill Ddu.  Whoever heard of a mainline railway being owned by a contractor?  Well, he says there are a few problems and things are not going as quickly as he planned.  I think that is obvious as he said it would be ready by Christmas and it certainly is not.

post-11508-0-81100400-1450913966_thumb.jpg

I am standing in the battlefield he calls his workshop and you see the problem.  On my right are the roof boards.  You will see there are not enough.  He says he has run out of this stuff he calls 'plastic', his word for 'wood'.  He says they are 1 x 2mm although they look 3" x 6" to me.  He says he cannot get supplies until after Christmas and that he is stopping work at least until the New Year.  Now, whoever heard of such a thing!  I will be working on Christmas Day and will not sit down to my Christmas diner until about 5 o'clock in the afternoon.  I mean whoever heard of a railway shutting down on Christmas Day.  Well there it is.

post-11508-0-67555600-1450913985_thumb.jpg

Now let me show you the sides and he posts.  He says he has varnished the sides and painted the posts.  I told him that I think the varnish on one is not very good and the paint on the other is poor.  He mumbled and agreement so I think he will re-do it sometime when he can be bothered.  Anyway, it is Christmas and no time for hard feelings.  We have got a little tableau together but we have had to use the 'mock up' as the real shelter is not ready.

post-11508-0-58001200-1450914103_thumb.jpg

Well here we are gathering together for our annual Traeth Mawr Carol service so all that is left to say is:-

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND A PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Now that actually put me in a christmas mood, Chris! (or as close as possible). The tableau gives a whole new meaning to your shelter. I see the railway staff are holding back a little. Perhaps as servants of engineering progress they are wondering how to deal with what is clearly a miracle.

Sorry to hear you've run out of plastic - er, wood - I've also just realized it's going to be hard to lay down track during christmas without any sleepers!

Have a merry christmas and a good new year!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Now that actually put me in a christmas mood, Chris! (or as close as possible). The tableau gives a whole new meaning to your shelter. I see the railway staff are holding back a little. Perhaps as servants of engineering progress they are wondering how to deal with what is clearly a miracle.

Sorry to hear you've run out of plastic - er, wood - I've also just realized it's going to be hard to lay down track during christmas without any sleepers!

Have a merry christmas and a good new year!

Mikkel,

Thank you.  Have a good Christmas.

The staff are hanging back as firstly they did not want to get in the way of what was going on inside, and although they stand up n their own the men are not very stable, and when they fall they take others with them.

• Like 1

Seasons Greetings Mr Price, to you and all your staff, including that contractor chap too!

I sincerely hope the aforementioned contractor chap and his family have a most enjoyable Christmas and will be nicely refreshed ready to get your station into the condition that befits it's and your status on the Cambrian Railway.

May the new year also bring much business and many services to the station!

From the principal contractor of the Windley Railway and the Prussian Railway,

John/Johannes

• Like 2

Hi Chris,

A couple of health issues have meant I've just had to play catch-up. Just wanted to wish you and all your family a very Merry Christmas and a productive Happy New Year.

Thank you for sharing your modelling with us, warts and all! It has been a very instructive and inspirational thread and I look forward to more of the same in the coming year.

Hope your celebrations all go as planned,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Jonathan, my hernia op. is scheduled for 31/12 as long as it goes ahead! J.

Edited by Jock67B

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, sorry I haven't been able to follow your thread as closely as I would have liked this year, but here's wishing you a Merry Christmas, and all the best in the New Year.

Al.

Al,

Life is life and often gets in the way of things.  I hope all is well with you and yours and that you have enjoyed what you have seen when you have dropped by.  Yours is one of the first I go to although I do not comment very often.

All the best and have a good Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

A couple of health issues have meant I've just had to play catch-up. Just wanted to wish you and all your family a very Merry Christmas and a productive Happy New Year.

Thank you for sharing your modelling with us, warts and all! It has been a very instructive and inspirational thread and I look forward to more of the same in the coming year.

Hope your celebrations all go as planned,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Jonathan, my hernia op. is scheduled for 31/12 as long as it goes ahead! J.

Jock,

Thank you for your good wishes.  Hope you begin to feel the benefits of your treatment soon, and hope your hernia op goes well.

Glad you have enjoyed the thread.  I really need to get things running early next year, and it looks like there will be a 3D printed version of one of the main Cambrian express engines coming soon so that will be fun.

Hope your celebrations go well and you enjoy the next few days with your family.

• RMweb Gold

Christmas Morning. Your report from Mr Price made a really good start to the day. I am sure he will be happy with the final result even if he does have to keep a careful eye on the contractor.

Nadolig Llawen

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Well, that is good news.  Have a good Christmas.

• RMweb Gold

Now a seemingly random post.  Why not, we have not had many random posts recently.

On the list of through carriages Donw sent me there was one daily from the Great Central.  I started to think about what type of coach and what livery would it carry.  (Why, you ask when you only have one Cambrian coach?  Surely through coaches are a bit down the list?  Yes, but it is Christmas and all my modelling stuff is put away and it stops me thinking about a Withered Arm layout set in one of the wars.)  I began to look and soon realised that the CGR did not actually come into existence until 1897, two years after my time period.

Now I have done some preliminary investigation as I need to know what coaches they might have used as through coaches.  It would appear that they would have used 6 wheelers as their main carriages at the time and the colour would have been teak, although the preserved one I have seen is red and white.  I have briefly looked for books on the railway but there appear to be no recent ones.  I have looked for kits and the only 6 wheeler is from Bill Bedford and is a saloon, which I doubt they would have used.

So does anyone have any information, links or general advice as to where to find the information and any available kits?  Thanks in advance.

I have looked for kits and the only 6 wheeler is from Bill Bedford and is a saloon, which I doubt they would have used.

Saloon, plus Horsebox, perhaps even a van for the many portmantues etc.,  to get the holiday party to their second home by Barmouth, from somewhere east of Manchester, perhaps Lincoln... 

It is the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway.  :sungum:

It is your train set, and another sale for Bill too..... 

Perhaps t-b-g can offer some advice (He's on RMWeb somewhere)..

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Gold

Penlan,

Thank you.  Yes somehow managed to miss out the name of the railway.  I get worse, it is what comes of trying to multi-task.  Your idea has merit, although I could not run it every day, but certainly as a change.  Bill does a van as well I think, now just have to find a horse box.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like you need to find a decent picture or diagram of some sort of compo. I would expect at least 1st/3rd compartments maybe even some 2nd (did the MS&L have 2nd?). Then you need to draw it up in studio and send it to me to cut for you... You will just love building your own coaches!

I'll have to have a look to see if I have any MS&L drawings, but I don't think I have.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like you need to find a decent picture or diagram of some sort of compo. I would expect at least 1st/3rd compartments maybe even some 2nd (did the MS&L have 2nd?). Then you need to draw it up in studio and send it to me to cut for you... You will just love building your own coaches!

I'll have to have a look to see if I have any MS&L drawings, but I don't think I have.

Andy G

Andy,

Thanks.  I have looked at the HMRS site for drawings and the ones they have are,

4 wheelers, Tri-composite with luggage

6 wheelers, First class, lavatory composite, third class.

I will need to think about this, and it may not happen quickly.  You may have noticed I enquire and store up the information for a later date, although I would like to do everything now.  I did think at one time I would be building most of my own coaches but brass kits are now appearing, although Parliamentary stock may not.  That is probably chunky enough to do with plasticard and plasticstruts.

Looking again at Bill Bedford's saloon it is a third class, and I would assume a hired one for a posh family would be first class.  Would anyone notice if I made the third class and labelled it first?.  Would it just have been the upholstery?

Thanks again, I will see how this develops.

• RMweb Premium

Saloons are strange things, lots of different types, and lots of different layouts. You could get away with it, because, lets face it, who will know now?

A couple of places worth looking would be to contact the present owner of Buckingham, as I presume that the Rev Denny used drawings to make his stock, so hopefully that paperwork has survived. Is there a GC soc? If so they might have some drawings.

I'll also check in Jenkinsons British railway carriages of the 20th century, lots of handy 3mm/ft drawings in there!

The great thing about the cutter is that you can do panel layers easily (which is the reason I bought mine) and now I have a method of construction it is easy, if slow, to make a coach up.

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a quick look through Peter Denny's two volumes on Buckingham during a rather late breakfast. As far as I can see he built six MS&L 6-wheelers, of which he says "There was still less information about coaching stock at the turn of the century. My Sheffield friend, Stan Taylor, sent me a drawing of a six wheel coach and some photographs he had taken, and with these I built my first three coaches in 1947." I am not sure when the other three were built.

Now this is slightly puzzling as the photo shows two composites and a full brake.

At the end of volume 1 he refers to converting Triang clerestories for the GCR.

In Part 2 he describes his construction methods, but the photos are of bogie carriages. He also built a rake of ex LDEC 6-wheelers but does not give the source of the drawings and they are no use to you anyway.

He refers to the three volume history by George Dow as a useful source of information but I don't have them.

And yes, the current owner of Buckingham is active here on RMWeb. He often contributes to the Tony Wright thread in the Miscellany section..

Did Dan Pinnock produce any carriage kits for the GCR? It would seem to be a railway which he might have covered.

And yes, the is an active Great Central Society: http://www.gcrsociety.co.uk/It has an archive (though see the note on the website about rebuilding). And these should be drawings to suit you:

MSLR Open luggage composite - 1887 Drwg No. 825-C

MSLR Open lav. Composite - 1885-7 Drwg No. 665-C

MSLR Open lav. Luggage composite - 1888

You'll just have to be patient.

You can always be relied on for an interesting and useful diversion.

Did you see the 2mm 3-D printed Cambrian vehicle in the WRRC newsletter.? I assume he could easily do it in 4mm.

Jonathan