Traeth Mawr -Painting Season, (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Gold

Chris

It's a very, very long way from "all bad". IMO it's very good, certainly convincing, but of course, what matters is that you are happy with it.

I hope my next foray into brickwork will look as good.

Best

Simon

Simon,

Thank you.  I realise it is a learning curve, but like many other things I would like it to look as if I had had 20 years of practise after the first time.

Morning Chris

I know exactly how you feel but it looks good, honestly.

The trouble is that you could paint it loads of times and think 'I've cracked it this time' only to change your mind a few days later, I do that all the time, I remember talking to Aiden Campbell at York one year and he showed me the same scene in six different versions and asked me which one I liked the best and why, he then pointed out features on another which then became the favourite, only to then go through the same thing on another. At the end of the day it was all about perception of what was in front of you and where the eye focused, I just wish I would remember that when I paint my own stuff so I don't spend the next twenty years painting that flipping retaining wall of mine.

It's all looking great so far and a few of your excellent figures with it will create an excellent scene.

All the best

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Morning Chris

I know exactly how you feel but it looks good, honestly.

The trouble is that you could paint it loads of times and think 'I've cracked it this time' only to change your mind a few days later, I do that all the time, I remember talking to Aiden Campbell at York one year and he showed me the same scene in six different versions and asked me which one I liked the best and why, he then pointed out features on another which then became the favourite, only to then go through the same thing on another. At the end of the day it was all about perception of what was in front of you and where the eye focused, I just wish I would remember that when I paint my own stuff so I don't spend the next twenty years painting that flipping retaining wall of mine.

It's all looking great so far and a few of your excellent figures with it will create an excellent scene.

All the best

Jim

Jim,

Thank you.  The other problem you have when you paint something is that any defect stands out as you did it.  Someone else will not necessarily see that.  Still, we are getting there, slowly.  Need to finish the paint of the wood work but that will not be today I think.

• RMweb Gold

It is probably time I gave you a 'non progress report.  The work on the wiring has stalled.  Two reasons.  The first is that I have fitted point motors and switches connected to them but have not wired the motors yet or bought any means of powering them.  I thought in my innocence that if I push the point everything would move together via the pin.  The answer is not necessarily so I will have to wire the motors up as well, as I proceed.

The second and most devastating one is that a couple of weeks ago my wife said, "When are we going to sort out the bathroom? I would like to sort it out before Christmas."  It needed doing but funds have been the issue. Having looked at the bathroom we decided that all that was really needed was a new toilet.  (Why replace a perfectly decent enamel bath with a plastic one?)  "Can we do the tiles as well, and the stair well?"  She found a plumber/decorator would you believe.  He is not cheap, but he started a week ago Friday and will finish by this one.  (Yes he has got other jobs on as well.)  (I could do most of this myself given time.)  So the house is in chaos, I cannot get in the railway room for things moved out of the landing, so all work on the track has ceased, until after Christmas.

The shelter proceeds slowly.

post-11508-0-50670300-1449960922_thumb.jpg

The other side of the woodwork has received a coat of paint, as have the supports.  They look finished but in this picture the other side is not painted.  Since the it has been and the sides not laying down have received a second coat.

post-11508-0-39043000-1449961063_thumb.jpg

Main news, Andy G, uax6, has sent me the valences. Thank you Andy.  I sent him the file for the Cameo cutter and these came back.  Actually there are 9 of them.  Three with scoring for the woodwork and six plain.  They need to be glued in threes as the cutter will cut 10 thou, but I need probably 30 thou.  This is my next job, and I am just a little concerned as it needs to be quite very accurate.

If you have been, thanks for looking.

• Like 4

Morning Chris,

Thanks for the comments in your post of the fifth, apologies for the tardy response, caused by more hospital action, which culminated yesterday in a phone call from Colchester General, cancelling the hernia operation I should have had at 7.30am yesterday morning! Re-scheduled now for the 31st at 7.00am.

I've just started drawing up a design for the Bothy by the coaling stage at Hurlford, scaling using the brick counting method, but I intend to e-mail over a photograph of the gable end wall (the only colour one I've got!) to Justin at modelrailwayscenery.com to see if he does a texture paper of similar size and colour.

I'm doing this to keep my hand in, but also as a test piece as the same brickwork adorns the water tower and engineering workshops that adjoin the shed. I suppose I could have started a thread by now, but as no-one can give me an idea as to how long I'll last with this terminal condition, I will wait until spring when I've bought the ply! I'm learning all the time, particularly from threads like yours, with your large number of knowledgeable contributors. Apologies for the ramble,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock,

Best wishes for your op.

Chris

Funny thing, that. We have two bathrooms. One of them is functional, which is just as well, because the other, which I'm "doing", it seems I'm doing it very slowly... Very slowly. Life gets in the way of the bathroom, and the bathroom gets in the way of modelling...

Never mind, as Chris (OldOak) says, "it isn't a race"

Best

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Chris,

Thanks for the comments in your post of the fifth, apologies for the tardy response, caused by more hospital action, which culminated yesterday in a phone call from Colchester General, cancelling the hernia operation I should have had at 7.30am yesterday morning! Re-scheduled now for the 31st at 7.00am.

I've just started drawing up a design for the Bothy by the coaling stage at Hurlford, scaling using the brick counting method, but I intend to e-mail over a photograph of the gable end wall (the only colour one I've got!) to Justin at modelrailwayscenery.com to see if he does a texture paper of similar size and colour.

I'm doing this to keep my hand in, but also as a test piece as the same brickwork adorns the water tower and engineering workshops that adjoin the shed. I suppose I could have started a thread by now, but as no-one can give me an idea as to how long I'll last with this terminal condition, I will wait until spring when I've bought the ply! I'm learning all the time, particularly from threads like yours, with your large number of knowledgeable contributors. Apologies for the ramble,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock,

I am sorry to hear about your 'op'.  This time of year is always unpredictable in hospitals.  Glad to see that you are still planning and thinking ahead.  If you can find little modelling things to do as you go it always helps.

All the best,

• RMweb Gold

Jock,

Best wishes for your op.

Chris

Funny thing, that. We have two bathrooms. One of them is functional, which is just as well, because the other, which I'm "doing", it seems I'm doing it very slowly... Very slowly. Life gets in the way of the bathroom, and the bathroom gets in the way of modelling...

Never mind, as Chris (OldOak) says, "it isn't a race"

Best

Simon

Simon,

I have put a toilet in, in a previous existence house but when we moved in we thought that a whole bathroom renewal was needed as nothing had been done since the house had been built, (1980), apart from tiling around the bath which I found out the other day that my wife hated.  I have also tiled before.  The issue being that I do it slowly and carefully as I do it as and when and a professional does it all the time and does not need to think to much about it.  It will be done this week so happy wife for Christmas when the family descends on us.

You are right it is not a race, except my grandson does not get any younger and I need to get something running.  Maybe once the shelter is done I will have to bring the boards downstairs to work on, which of course might lead to some interesting conversations.

We have two bathrooms. One of them is functional, which is just as well, because the other, which I'm "doing", it seems I'm doing it very slowly... Very slowly. Life gets in the way of the bathroom,

I once had a house with two bathrooms, one of which was an odd shape while the other was very small.  I commented at the time that I'd rather have just one bathroom of a sensible size and shape.

I've now got that one bathroom of a sensible size and shape, but it's overdue a major refurbishment that would involve it being taken out of action for quite a while.  Suddenly having a second bathroom, no matter what it's size and shape, seems quite attractive.

Be careful what you wish for . . .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I once had a house with two bathrooms, one of which was an odd shape while the other was very small.  I commented at the time that I'd rather have just one bathroom of a sensible size and shape.

I've now got that one bathroom of a sensible size and shape, but it's overdue a major refurbishment that would involve it being taken out of action for quite a while.  Suddenly having a second bathroom, no matter what it's size and shape, seems quite attractive.

Be careful what you wish for . . .

We have felt that two toilets at least are a necessity since our lads began to grow.  They are now essential when we have the family over for Christmas and at other times, one having a shower, the other bath/shower, but when we are on our own they should really be called 'reading rooms'.  (Bagsey the one with the railways books in!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

One reason there has been nothing posted on the Sarn thread recently is that the model railway room has been occupied by the bathroom door. It is now back in place, and I only have four more internal doors to sort out.

In fact before the door took up residence I did get some work done on the scenery, with all the scenic substructure in place. I need to finish one of the houses before I tackle the scenery proper as it will need to be embedded, not just on the surface. So that is occupying the workbench at the moment beside an etched brass wagon kit (expletives deleted) and one of the seven Rhymney Railway six wheel carriages I started in Kosovo using Trevor Charlton etched zinc sides and ends. A;;three project progress extremely slowly. And before I start on the scenery I need to decide on the best colour for the local stone.

Oh, and I still have to add the rust to the roof of the club layout colliery building, along with some suitable faded lettering.

However, I did get to the Manchester show, which had some very good layouts but not very good trade so I didn't get any of the bits I wanted. By the way, if you can, get to a show where Sidmouth is being exhibited. It looks great in MRJ but I am told it is far better in the flesh.

And yes, waits for hernia operations. I fouled things up by having to cancel the first date offered because I was committed to going abroad. After that there was a long wait. I think eventually I only got a date because I phoned up to ask what was happening. Mind you it doesn't help that Powys is dependent on Shropshire for its hospital but is not very good at paying its bills.

I should be able to post some photos on Sarn soon, but don't sit around waiting for them.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One reason there has been nothing posted on the Sarn thread recently is that the model railway room has been occupied by the bathroom door. It is now back in place, and I only have four more internal doors to sort out.

In fact before the door took up residence I did get some work done on the scenery, with all the scenic substructure in place. I need to finish one of the houses before I tackle the scenery proper as it will need to be embedded, not just on the surface. So that is occupying the workbench at the moment beside an etched brass wagon kit (expletives deleted) and one of the seven Rhymney Railway six wheel carriages I started in Kosovo using Trevor Charlton etched zinc sides and ends. A;;three project progress extremely slowly. And before I start on the scenery I need to decide on the best colour for the local stone.

Oh, and I still have to add the rust to the roof of the club layout colliery building, along with some suitable faded lettering.

However, I did get to the Manchester show, which had some very good layouts but not very good trade so I didn't get any of the bits I wanted. By the way, if you can, get to a show where Sidmouth is being exhibited. It looks great in MRJ but I am told it is far better in the flesh.

And yes, waits for hernia operations. I fouled things up by having to cancel the first date offered because I was committed to going abroad. After that there was a long wait. I think eventually I only got a date because I phoned up to ask what was happening. Mind you it doesn't help that Powys is dependent on Shropshire for its hospital but is not very good at paying its bills.

I should be able to post some photos on Sarn soon, but don't sit around waiting for them.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

And in your spare time you write articles for and help to edit the Welsh Railway Archive.  I am sure it will all happen in time.  Hope you get the doors sorted out soon but more importantly that you have your operation done quickly.

I too have just fitted internal doors upstairs as well as building a full length cupboard in the spare room to enable me to have a modelling space in there, but now I am in full caring mode as the wife has had a number of issues lately. Life gets in the way of modelling sometimes and we just have to remain patient until we get time again.

It looks as if itt will be the New Year by the time we are all back on track but good to see you have managed a little progress Chris.

All the best

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I too have just fitted internal doors upstairs as well as building a full length cupboard in the spare room to enable me to have a modelling space in there, but now I am in full caring mode as the wife has had a number of issues lately. Life gets in the way of modelling sometimes and we just have to remain patient until we get time again.

It looks as if itt will be the New Year by the time we are all back on track but good to see you have managed a little progress Chris.

All the best

Jim

Jim,

Sorry to hear about your wife's problems.  Still thinking of you.

All the best,

• RMweb Premium

No, I had the hernia operation earlier this year. Am in as good a condition as one can expect for my age (though that seems to be about the same as many RMWebbers).

To be honest, if I didn't have the editing to do I would get pretty bored. An awful lot of modelling seems to involve waiting for paint/glue/solvent to dry/harden so one can get onto the next stage - and working out actually how to do the next stage.

Back on topic, I'm looking forward to seeing the waiting shelter complete. I didn't realise until recently that it originally had glazing in the two openings. I must get on with the Sarn house to see if I can beat you to it. I am working on a pair of bay windows at the moment and have already resolved not to choose any more houses with them. Very fiddly, nearly as fiddly as the glazing on the shelter.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris.

The method I use for mortar is to prime the work first then paint with enamel brick color. When dry I use water based cheapo acrylic slapped on fast and wiped off with paper towel. Then a wipe with a damp paper towel diagonally. The water wont effect the enamel base! What you have achieved looks very good from over here BTW.

For small glazing bars, try assembly on a piece of low tac masking tape, when all the small parts are where you're happy with them add the glue ( potent stuff such as Revell) after 24 hours remove the tape.   I tried making a drawing first and placing clear tape over that but the glue reacted with the tape, maybe a different brand of tape might work.  I have some Krylon rattle can white primer which only gets used for painting windows.

Mike. I have found that Wills sheets become brittle if exposed to sun light for long periods!

Regards Shaun.

• RMweb Gold

No, I had the hernia operation earlier this year. Am in as good a condition as one can expect for my age (though that seems to be about the same as many RMWebbers).

To be honest, if I didn't have the editing to do I would get pretty bored. An awful lot of modelling seems to involve waiting for paint/glue/solvent to dry/harden so one can get onto the next stage - and working out actually how to do the next stage.

Back on topic, I'm looking forward to seeing the waiting shelter complete. I didn't realise until recently that it originally had glazing in the two openings. I must get on with the Sarn house to see if I can beat you to it. I am working on a pair of bay windows at the moment and have already resolved not to choose any more houses with them. Very fiddly, nearly as fiddly as the glazing on the shelter.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Re-reading your post it is clear you have had the operation, glad it seemed to go well. 

Yes, a lot of modelling seems to be waiting for things to dry, which is why I try and have several things going on at once.  I am fairly certain I have some bay windows to do on the houses I have chosen so that will be interesting.  Not sure about a race though, as once the family start to arrive for Christmas, (next Wednesday), then all modelling will stop for a while.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris.

The method I use for mortar is to prime the work first then paint with enamel brick color. When dry I use water based cheapo acrylic slapped on fast and wiped off with paper towel. Then a wipe with a damp paper towel diagonally. The water wont effect the enamel base! What you have achieved looks very good from over here BTW.

For small glazing bars, try assembly on a piece of low tac masking tape, when all the small parts are where you're happy with them add the glue ( potent stuff such as Revell) after 24 hours remove the tape.   I tried making a drawing first and placing clear tape over that but the glue reacted with the tape, maybe a different brand of tape might work.  I have some Krylon rattle can white primer which only gets used for painting windows.

Mike. I have found that Wills sheets become brittle if exposed to sun light for long periods!

Regards Shaun.

Shaun,

Thank you.  Your method of painting bricks in about what I did in the end although I found if I did not leave the acrylic to dry a fraction, it all came off, including the mortar in the cracks.  If it did not come off then it did when I used a damp towel.   :banghead: I will persevere though.

Glazing bars.  That sounds like a very good idea.  Thank you.  I will certainly try that when it comes to future buildings.

• Like 1

Shaun,

Thank you. Your method of painting bricks in about what I did in the end although I found if I did not leave the acrylic to dry a fraction, it all came off, including the mortar in the cracks. If it did not come off then it did when I used a damp towel. :banghead: I will persevere though.

Glazing bars. That sounds like a very good idea. Thank you. I will certainly try that when it comes to future buildings.

I paint the mortar colour first, snow it to dry then dry brush diagonally with a base brick colour and finally pick out individual bricks in different colours. If needed a diluted mortar colour can be run between the bricks

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I paint the mortar colour first, snow it to dry then dry brush diagonally with a base brick colour and finally pick out individual bricks in different colours. If needed a diluted mortar colour can be run between the bricks

Terry,

Thank you.  I tried it that way as well, except that I added the brick colour horizontally.  I ended up with some of the mortar brick coloured so re-did the mortar.  I will store 'diagonal' away for future reference.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As we are talking about bricks.  I was in a local town, (city?) yesterday and I know it was raining and I had my three year old grandson with me, but as we went past a house something struck me about it.  It was early 19th Century, and had the flat porch and pillars of a Georgian/Regency house.  This was light dirty brown.  What struck me was that all the bricks on the front were the same red brick.  There was no, yes no, variation in colour.  As we walked past the side was also the same red brick but it did have other bricks of varying shades of red and a few black bits.

It would seem that the bickie was given strict orders to make sure every brick was exactly the same.  Looking again at it on Google Street view there is some variation in colour but only due to, I think, weathering although the bricks for the lintel are a deeper shade of red.  This is the link. Have a look around the side as well.

• Like 2

Chris, this is interesting.

My interpretation FWIW is that there is a considerable variation in mortar colour on the front of the building, but I also see some subtle variation in brick colour. On the right side, there are some (but not many) bricks of notably different colours, and on the left side, there appears to be a patch of bricks of a slightly different hue. There is a patch that is darker, and an area mainly down the front corner where the mortar is more obvious. Zooming in really close, it is obvious that the ends of the bricks are different in many cases to the sides. Also, the lintel bricks are very thin, almost like tiles, and the mortar between them is really thin, so doesn't really add any colour or lightness to the lintels - which appear different to those on the front.

My suspicions are that the building has been cleaned at some point, and repointed, but possibly only in some areas.

I think it does highlight the effect the mortar can have on the overall appearance of a building.

HTH

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris, this is interesting.

My interpretation FWIW is that there is a considerable variation in mortar colour on the front of the building, but I also see some subtle variation in brick colour. On the right side, there are some (but not many) bricks of notably different colours, and on the left side, there appears to be a patch of bricks of a slightly different hue. There is a patch that is darker, and an area mainly down the front corner where the mortar is more obvious. Zooming in really close, it is obvious that the ends of the bricks are different in many cases to the sides. Also, the lintel bricks are very thin, almost like tiles, and the mortar between them is really thin, so doesn't really add any colour or lightness to the lintels - which appear different to those on the front.

My suspicions are that the building has been cleaned at some point, and repointed, but possibly only in some areas.

I think it does highlight the effect the mortar can have on the overall appearance of a building.

HTH

Simon

Simon,

I think you are right.  When I walked passed the actual building it was raining and the wall was wet so I think that this made it look more uniform.  However the bricks do appear more uniform in colour than I would expect so I think some effort went into getting similar bricks in the first place.  I am sure that it has been cleaned at some point as a building that old in the centre of town would have collected an awful lot of dirt and grime, even though it is not in an industrial city.  There was also a local brick works, now of course no longer, and the town has lots of houses where there are different coloured bricks to make decorative patterns so maybe specifying a standard colour was not as difficult as elsewhere.

Where I live it appears that the council just bought bricks from wherever was cheapest as almost every cul-de-sac has its houses built with different colour bricks.  The place is a planners dream and I thought for a moment that maybe they had planned it that way but it seems too random.  It does add to the range of what you can model.

As an aside, I find myself when I am driving around studying brickwork.  I think my wife thinks I am losing it.

Hi Chris,

That is a really lovely building! I also agree it has been cleaned, the stone window ledges and part of the front entrance look clean while the parts of the front entrance that are most exposed to weather have gone dirty again (already?).

You can tell it was a well built building not only by the lovely lintels and stone entrance but also by the fine mortar lines.

One of my dads old houses in Derby had these fine mortar lines and that was very well built indeed.

Cheaper buildings have thicker mortar lines, modern building have quite thick lines too (loss of skills?)

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

That is a really lovely building! I also agree it has been cleaned, the stone window ledges and part of the front entrance look clean while the parts of the front entrance that are most exposed to weather have gone dirty again (already?).

You can tell it was a well built building not only by the lovely lintels and stone entrance but also by the fine mortar lines.

One of my dads old houses in Derby had these fine mortar lines and that was very well built indeed.

Cheaper buildings have thicker mortar lines, modern building have quite thick lines too (loss of skills?)

Cheers,

John.

John,

That is very interesting.  Without knowing that I thought it was a high status building.  The pillars looked fairly grubby when I saw them the other day, maybe it is the type of stone.

I am not sure if the skills have been lost or if it is just that buildings have changed.  This would have been built with two courses of bricks while modern houses are breeze block and brick.  Also they are thrown up quite quickly, whereas I assume this was built slowly and carefully and the brickie's wages would have been relatively less than today.

• Like 2