Traeth Mawr -Painting Season, (mostly)

ChrisN

Evening Chris,

Beginning to look like a layout in the making my friend. I guess that having reached this stage, you will want to get some power attached and start testing (playing?) trains! Looking forward to viewing how you accommodate the massive amount of research you've conducted (with some superb and impressive input from your thread followers!) when you start on the various structures. Impressive workmanship so far.

Well done and kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Nice progress Chris. I know what you mean about "days disappearing". It's all the more pleasant when you actually manage to pin them down. Can I ask what you use for cutting track? I was never quite happy with my Xuron track cutter.

So, can I do the shelter and the wiring before Christmas?

Well we know what Obama - or rather his speech writers - would answer to that one  :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Have you seen any of the bass wood strips that HobbyCraft shops sell ( as used on my PSMT coach) ? They are in various sizes of cross-section and are easier to use than coffee stirrers.

I can send you some if you don't have a near-by outlet.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Evening Chris,

Beginning to look like a layout in the making my friend. I guess that having reached this stage, you will want to get some power attached and start testing (playing?) trains! Looking forward to viewing how you accommodate the massive amount of research you've conducted (with some superb and impressive input from your thread followers!) when you start on the various structures. Impressive workmanship so far.

Well done and kind regards,

Jock.

Jock,

Thank you.  I am reasonably happy how it has turned out so far.  I will probably have to re-read my thread to try and remember all that was said but there are particular things I have remembered.  We shall see.  Let's hope is does not disappoint.

• RMweb Gold

Nice progress Chris. I know what you mean about "days disappearing". It's all the more pleasant when you actually manage to pin them down. Can I ask what you use for cutting track? I was never quite happy with my Xuron track cutter.

Well we know what Obama - or rather his speech writers - would answer to that one  :)

Mikkel,

To cut the track I use a razor saw.  I have a block into which I have pressed some rail to make track marks and then have cut these.  This forms a rigid holding device for when I am cutting.  I have wondered if I should use a track cutter as you have to be very careful or the saw jumps and damages further along the rail.  If you are cutting track in situ then you have to be careful if you have been clever enough to glue down the track on the other side of the loop as it is easy to scratch the track already there.  The cut is fairly clean and does not need very much cleaning up with a file afterwards.

The art of saying something and meaning nothing.  It of course can be said definitively that there will be wires attached to the track and a representation of the shelter by the forthcoming Christmas Celebrations.  (Any good?)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

With regards to your valances, if you down load the silhouette studio software (http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software/silhouette-studio/ ) and draw it out, I can cut it for you on my cutter. Just don't save it as a version later than studio3 !

Andy G

Andy,

That is very kind.  Just a question, in fact two.  Do I put the holes in, or do those myself by hand later, and the individual scoring marks for the planks, do I do those by hand.  Thinking of how the cutter works I assume both of those by hand.

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Have you seen any of the bass wood strips that HobbyCraft shops sell ( as used on my PSMT coach) ? They are in various sizes of cross-section and are easier to use than coffee stirrers.

I can send you some if you don't have a near-by outlet.

Stu

Stu,

Thank you.  There is one close, well not very far away from me so I will get some.  My thoughts are as I said earlier about the stirrers are would it be better to do it in plastic as there are lots of other bits of plastic around and gluing plastic to plastic might be easier.  However, it would be fun to do it in the material the shelter was originally made out of, even though I haven't ordered 1000 tiny bricks and a 4mm cement mixer.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The scoring I can do with my Amy tool (ohh-er!) so put them in as a different colour, so i can pause the cutting and change the head.

As for the holes, it depends what diameter they are, anything under about 1.5mm its probably better to drill by hand. I can cut out completely in 10thou, or most of the way through 20 thou (which will just need running through with a 11P blade and popping out.) This thickness and method has advantages if you need to drill the holes......

Andy G

Well over the last couple of weeks I have struggled to find time to work on the actual layout but last week I got the final lengths of track cut, then added droppers.

Great to see some track - it's nice to be reminded occasionally that this splendid thread is actually about a model railway :) :) :)

it's nice to be reminded occasionally that this splendid thread is actually about a model railway :) :) :)

Damn, I thought I had escaped those restrictions, that I'd found something else to do..  :no:

• Like 2

...... it would be fun to do it in the material the shelter was originally made out of, 

I have a large collection of stirrers, and it's true to say there is a wide range of wood quality available in the stirrers.

I have some that is a really good hardwood, so probably taken from a non-sustainable arboreal site, to some that almost fall apart as you touch them.

So, Chris, if you can find a suitable stirrer, go with it.

• RMweb Gold

The scoring I can do with my Amy tool (ohh-er!) so put them in as a different colour, so i can pause the cutting and change the head.

As for the holes, it depends what diameter they are, anything under about 1.5mm its probably better to drill by hand. I can cut out completely in 10thou, or most of the way through 20 thou (which will just need running through with a 11P blade and popping out.) This thickness and method has advantages if you need to drill the holes......

Andy G

Andy,

Thank you.  Not quite sure how I will have a continuous line for scoring.  When I have managed to sort out the software I will send it to you and we can discuss it further.  Thank you again.

• RMweb Gold

Great to see some track - it's nice to be reminded occasionally that this splendid thread is actually about a model railway :) :) :)

Hopefully once I have the power to the track I can actually get on with the buildings for the railway so there may be more of railway topics.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see the permanent way being laid!  More, please, when you're ready! 

This is the last of the main line.  I have still to lay the two sidings but I want to get the trains running first, my grandchildren are getting older every day.  Yes it will be a late Victorian railway, with proper scenic but it will double as a train set.  Hopefully it will encourage them to start modelling.  All my sons have modelled in some way or other.

Ballasting will not start until I am happy that everything runs properly.  Just a little nervous of that as I have managed to glue one point shut just by sticking it down, so ballast will be something else.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Has the Topic title changed ?

Of course it could just be my eyes...

Cirle is a medical technology incubator, focused on curing diseases that lead to blindness

Spelling mistake, should be circle, now corrected.  Obviously I needed one.

Damn, I thought I had escaped those restrictions, that I'd found something else to do..  :no:

No, No. I think the railway is just an interruption.  :whistle:

I have a large collection of stirrers, and it's true to say there is a wide range of wood quality available in the stirrers.

I have some that is a really good hardwood, so probably taken from a non-sustainable arboreal site, to some that almost fall apart as you touch them.

So, Chris, if you can find a suitable stirrer, go with it.

I have a large collection myself.  There are several different types.  The difficult thing is not how I build the actual shelter but how I add the other bits to it.

• RMweb Gold

I have been travelling. There was an absolutely beautiful sunset Saturday seeing the Barmouth bridge against  a blood red sky which had coloured the estuary was magnificent. I couldn't take a picture as the view was from the middle of the road.  Then today stopped in a layby near Llandysul I saw a name plate of a stone pillar Penlan.

Nice to see the progress Chris. As to the choice of materials often it is best to go with what you are comfortable with but occasionally it is nice to try something new. Decide whether to play safe or risk it.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel,

To cut the track I use a razor saw.  I have a block into which I have pressed some rail to make track marks and then have cut these.  This forms a rigid holding device for when I am cutting.  I have wondered if I should use a track cutter as you have to be very careful or the saw jumps and damages further along the rail.  If you are cutting track in situ then you have to be careful if you have been clever enough to glue down the track on the other side of the loop as it is easy to scratch the track already there.  The cut is fairly clean and does not need very much cleaning up with a file afterwards.

The art of saying something and meaning nothing.  It of course can be said definitively that there will be wires attached to the track and a representation of the shelter by the forthcoming Christmas Celebrations.  (Any good?)

Many thanks Chris. I've had the same experiences with a razor saw. I suppose there is no perfect solution. 

Sounds like a good goal for Christmas. We shall be watching you like hawks :-)

• Like 2

I use a mini-drill with a diamond cutting disk - cuts track in situ like the proverbial knife through butter.  Watch your fingers and wear eye protection in case bits fly!

• Like 2

my xuron cutters get lots of work, on brass kits and 0 gauge rail.  they eventually go ping, and one of the jaws heads west (hopefully avoiding eyes en route) and they get replaced with a new pair.

the xuron needlenose pliers are a joy to use.

best

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I use a mini-drill with a diamond cutting disk - cuts track in situ like the proverbial knife through butter.  Watch your fingers and wear eye protection in case bits fly!

Mike,

I do not have a mini drill, which explains why I don't use it.  I know others use it for various things, maybe I should invest in one.

my xuron cutters get lots of work, on brass kits and 0 gauge rail.  they eventually go ping, and one of the jaws heads west (hopefully avoiding eyes en route) and they get replaced with a new pair.

the xuron needlenose pliers are a joy to use.

best

Simon

Simon,

I did not buy a track cutter as after this layout there may be the 009 one or maybe not so it seemed a bit if a waste.  I will see if I need cutters once I get onto brass kits in earnest.

• RMweb Premium

"Ballasting will not start until I am happy that everything runs properly.  Just a little nervous of that as I have managed to glue one point shut just by sticking it down, so ballast will be something else."

Yes, on our current club layout it proved possible to glue up three of the points solid while ballasting, even though everyone knew it was a possible issue. The gaffer didn't use too much blue language sorting it out - though he did have an attack of appendicitis, possibly brought on by the stress!

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

"Ballasting will not start until I am happy that everything runs properly.  Just a little nervous of that as I have managed to glue one point shut just by sticking it down, so ballast will be something else."

Yes, on our current club layout it proved possible to glue up three of the points solid while ballasting, even though everyone knew it was a possible issue. The gaffer didn't use too much blue language sorting it out - though he did have an attack of appendicitis, possibly brought on by the stress!

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I assume that was done by people who knew what they were doing and had ballasted previously.  I shall proceed with caution, and leave the points until last I think.

• Like 1