Traeth Mawr -Painting Season, (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough, I shouldn't get all Blackadder about Morris Men.  I confess I quite enjoy seeing it, having gone to the Straw Bear festival in Whittlesey a number of times.  But the Molly dancing has a certain dark power to it that is certainly different from Cotswold men in white. And don't forget the clog dancing.  

I once shared the right to march through Chester with bands playing and flags flying.  This was also a privilege of limited utility, but rather splendid.

• RMweb Gold

Moving on from Morris men.  Picture 43 in the Francis Firth collection Penlan put up shows a train on Barmouth Bridge.  It is not a Dolgelley train as it is 1896 and they would have had a tank engine on them.  The front and last coaches are full brakes and are green and white, the second to fifth are six wheelers, then there is a clerestory, then a four wheeler.  Apart from the two brakes they appear to be only one colour, and I thought the Cambrian did not have an all over colour until later,  The coaches also appear to have oil lamps, not gas so it is most likely the picture is not mis-dated.  The second coach seems to have a luggage compartment in the middle.

So, which company does the clerestory belong to?  The choice is, GWR, umm unlikely as going down the coast, LNWR, is the livery right, Midland, or Great Central, again would these two companies be going down the Coast?  Something to discuss as I may not be around for a bit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My twopenneth:

I think they are all two-colour, with light upper panels.  I think that the ones that might appear one colour are just dirtier.  I spend a lot of time looking at Grouping era pictures of chocolate and cream coaches and, to me, the darker upper panels are just how I would expect cream panels to look if dirty.  To my eyes they are still a little lighter than the lower portion of the sides.

As to company, I would guess a mix of GW and Cambrian (that may yet prove to be a GW clerestory on closer inspection), but without a much larger print with a good resolution and some reference books to hand, I couldn't venture more.  They don't look like LNWR coaches, as the panelling style of these is quite distinctive and I suspect would be obvious even at that distance.

It is a wonderful photograph and shows a train well worth modelling. 

Edited by Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

My twopenneth:

I think they are all two-colour, with light upper panels.  I think that the ones that might appear one colour are just dirtier.  I spend a lot of time looking at Grouping era pictures of chocolate and cream coaches and, to me, the darker upper panels are just how I would expect cream panels to look if dirty.  To my eyes they are still a little lighter than the lower portion of the sides.

As to company, I would guess a mix of GW and Cambrian (that may yet prove to be a GW clerestory on closer inspection), but without a much larger print with a good resolution and some reference books to hand, I couldn't venture more.  They don't look like LNWR coaches, as the panelling style of these is quite distinctive and I suspect would be obvious even at that distance.

It is a wonderful photograph and shows a train well worth modelling. 

I think all but the clerestory are Cambrian, unless the one in front of the clerestory is another company.  The reason I did not think the clerestory was GWR was that it is not a Dolgelley train.  I suppose I could always buy the picture. Yes well worth modelling and hopefully will be able to at some point.

I seem to recall I promised to post a photo of my herring bone Computer Chad paving...
I've now found the piece I did, some 30+ years ago for a friends layout - Devynock (Sennybridge).
This paving was due to go under the station awning, but the layouts owner (The Icon) changed his mind.
Everything seems to have dulled a bit and the colours merged, for all the effort there's really nothing to show.
However, I have applied some talc at one end to show the gaps (?), and in view of this topic, obviously a relevant coin for scale.

post-6979-0-67598100-1437834675.jpg

post-6979-0-06448500-1437834674.jpg

I'm not sure how they were glued on as the backing piece is 40 thou Plastikard.
I think I can see the tiny pin holes where I stabbed the individual Chads to pick up and put in place, I think.
Of course I had a full time job then and editing a Society magazine too, plus a young family etc., so I had time to do things like this, now I'm retired, there's no chance of getting on with a job like it, even if I had the Chads. :O

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 4

A collection I've not heard of before >> http://www.albertkahn.co.uk/europe.html

But date of photo is circa 1900, I believe.  

Location, not known, though I expect if one really wanted to plod through their records,

Neg. No. A.2356 would tell us something.

post-6979-0-80419200-1437836668.jpg

post-6979-0-74644000-1437836776.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Chris I am fairly sure there were through coaches via buttington and Welshpool from the GWR up to Barmouth and possible Pwllheli as well aound the turn of the century. Also although the Naysmith 0-4-4 tanks were used to Dolgelley not evry train was so hauled. I will check the 1904 timetable.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Chris in 1904 there were through coaches to Barmouth and Pwllheli via both Dolgelley and Welshpool, Liverpool lime st to BArmouth via Whitchurch, London Euston to Barmouth, Criccieth, Portmadoc and Pwllheli via Welshpool, also Pwllheli and Portmadoc via Afon Wen, there were also some Manchester ones. So the train on the bridge could well include a GWR or LNWR coaches maybe both.

Don

Talking with my friend 'The Icon', about Gambo's (Welsh carts)*, we got onto Donkey carts, and he stated that they were mainly used around the coastal areas for deliveries, groceries, milk, etc.,  though I'm sure we could be inundated with inland views of donkeys pulling carts, soon.
ChrisN, I can see a BIG congestion on the roads at Traeth Mawr, and not just due to the Parade, Military attending a local Camp etc., 

* We have an extensive exchange by snail mail and telephone re, pantechnicans at present - The Icon doesn't do 'The Internet', as I'm sure John Miles on this Forum will confirm.

Did The Icon offer any explanation as to why donkey carts were only found around the coast?  As my layout is set in the uplands and the only road-going transport featured is donkey-powered this could be significant.

No, He's always right, even when he's not.......  :locomotive:

• Like 2

ChrisN, Period costume ?
Well it would make for a interesting cameo.. :nono:

post-6979-0-37163700-1438083884.jpg

PS - I see in the papers there's mention of Newport (South Wales) having a legal area near Pill ...
.... for the use of Ladies that perhaps John Sewel is familiar with......
......So far removed from Barmouth and Chapel values.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Too modern for Traeth Mawr, alas. But backdate the costumes and replace the motorbike by something appropriate to the period - and of course a bathing machine - the possibilities are endless. A pity Chris is not modelling the beach.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can recommend 'The Photographer in Rural Wales' by W.T.R.Pryce, a photographic archive of Llanfair Caereinion and its region, c.1865-1986, published by The Powysland Club 1991. Although not of the Barmouth area it has several street views.

• RMweb Premium

Inland donkey cart congestion in Llanfair Caereinion!

The book I mentioned in my previous post shows 2 such carts. The first is dated c1890 and shows a small cart hauled by 3 donkeys, the second is dated c1900 with a single donkey hauling a butcher's cart.

This proves Penlan's theory that 'The Icon' is always right even when wrong!

Alan

• Like 1

I'm sure some on this Welsh related thread will know the Icon, a founder member of the Welsh Railways Research Circle, and a lively leader of Heritage walks, Welsh is first language and the Neath & Brecon Rly is his life blood.

Why 'The Icon', well one morning (when we where exhibiting my layout) he was up early and in the shower, the other person asleep in the room was assumed to be asleep, but he overheard the Icon (who was looking in a mirror) say "I see before me an Icon"......
I think that spread around the B&B breakfast table quicker than a scolded cat.
I know him well, must be 40+ years now, and he's been 'Best Man' at 2 of my weddings....  :O

So, there is 'The Icon'.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

The Icon is a Welsh secret service agent acting under cover in the English Midlands, posing as a retired headmaster and living with his handler who pretends to be from Rotherham. One must never reveal his identity. His mission is to bring all things Welsh to the uneducated Sais.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If he operates in the English Midlands, presumably his mission is, somehow, to get the entire water supply of the West Midlands to flow backward, back to Wales where it belongs!

His code number is 00evan, and he is Licensed to Sing.

Ever read Aberystwyth Mon Armour?

Patagonia - the Welsh Vietnam

PS, Where is our kind host? Is it time he lead us kindly, but firmly, back on topic?

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1