Washout at Dawlish

Damage to stonework

this is the small stone enclosure where the brook runs under the viaduct at Dawlish Station

post-22449-0-72690600-1454416545_thumb.jpg

from other side

post-22449-0-93201600-1454416569_thumb.jpg

Damage to Station roof, gutter & down pipe & edge of roofing structure 

post-22449-0-95373000-1454416777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Anyone down on the sea wall at Dawlish today? How much of a battering is it getting?

Railway is running normally. The winds are from the West, then veering to WSW and then back to West. Wind from this direction, unless even stronger than today, is rarely a problem, as the Dawlish Sea Wall faces the South East.

Railway is running normally. The winds are from the West, then veering to WSW and then back to West. Wind from this direction, unless even stronger than today, is rarely a problem, as the Dawlish Sea Wall faces the South East.

I think I have solved the Dawlish problem. Put the track on a big turntable. When the wind is from the south east, turn the track so it faces the other way. Simple!

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

I think I have solved the Dawlish problem. Put the track on a big turntable. When the wind is from the south east, turn the track so it faces the other way. Simple!

Geoff Endacott

Thank you for that significant contribution, Geoff. I can't begin to describe how inspirational this bit of blue sky thinking is to those of us who don't like loitering in the box too long!  :jester:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How are things on the Dawlish Sea Wall today?

a bit rough, cross country turning Voyagers at Exeter (HSTs running through), at high tide (spring tides so very high. 4.5m mentioned) the sea was reminding people who is boss down there.

• RMweb Premium

Just watched the weather forecast, a wacking great low pressure system was sitting over the Bristol Channel/South Wales so the weather is no surprise. Its now drifting north so it should be easing.

• RMweb Premium

The Heralds website has to be one of the slowest ever!. :stink:

Brian.

Agree.

I think they do it on purpose, just show you the headlines,

but make it so slow you get fed up waiting and buy the paper instead.

(I know that's not much use in your situation Brian).

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

For interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFnNBqaC63Q

Cheers

David

Notwithstanding the rather bland description of what the possible future 'interventions' might be, the use of the aerial drone strongly indicates that this is to do with the stability of the cliffs.

I am aware of plans to spend serious money on the cliffs, but that money wasn't going to be available until CP6 (apart, evidently, from funding to undertake surveys such as this).

The state of the Sea Wall itself should be extremely well documented, based on the regular inspections by the Sea Wall contractor based at Dawlish, Dyer & Butler.

• Like 3

When I travelled along there yesterday on the Torbay Express the sea was calm, sun shining and it couldn't have been more enjoyable.

Still the best stretch of railway line in this country IMHO !

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I will be travelling the section in the up direction on Friday and the down direction on Tuesday, going to and from Railex and checking the suitability of the alcoholic beverages for the local inhabitants in London and it's environs.

and checking the suitability of the alcoholic beverages for the local inhabitants in London and it's environs.

That's a big ask, but I'm sure you'll be more than capable of dealing with any superfluous liquid intake ! Enjoy :)

• Like 1

That young lady described it as an atmospheric railway.  Are NR records out of date?

Unfortunate correlation but I rather think she meant that the area had atmosphere, rather than just the railway.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunate correlation but I rather think she meant that the area had atmosphere, rather than just the railway.

Brian.

Yes, I think you're right, Brian, but it has always alarmed me, when I was working for the rail industry, how many 'senior' managers (well, they were on a lot more than me!), would ask what I thought were daft questions, to which they really ought to have known the answers themselves! Certainly years ago, anyone of such exaulted seniority would certainly have had this information at their fingertips, without having to ask more junior members of staff, because they had already 'been there, done that'.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I think you're right, Brian, but it has always alarmed me, when I was working for the rail industry, how many 'senior' managers (well, they were on a lot more than me!), would ask what I thought were daft questions, to which they really ought to have known the answers themselves! Certainly years ago, anyone of such exaulted seniority would certainly have had this information at their fingertips, without having to ask more junior members of staff, because they had already 'been there, done that'.

Some of the more junior ones I have come across in recent years aren't much better.

• Like 2