Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

That platform would make an excellent phot-spot - wonder if they'll open it for public access for a day once it's done its job?

You could turn one into a 'portable pier' equipped with all the usual entertainments on a conventional seaside pier and a drawbridge and just float it up to a seaside resort, put the legs down and away you go. :jester:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

Good to see the Southern leading the Western as always......

As a closet Southern fan I must agree but I really owe my allegiance to the GW.  That was always the trouble in Plymouth; you really never who really supported which railway!  The spectacular slipping of the Bulleids getting a grip on the way to Friary was always good for pro and con loyalty comments.

Brian.

The discussion on Saturday among enthusiastic photographers,

was what sort of ramp they would use to connect the platform to the shore,

Scaffolding bridge perhaps?

You hear all sorts of ideas among spectators

such as

"the second jacking barge hasn't even been BUILT  yet!!!!"

The discussion on Saturday among enthusiastic photographers,

was what sort of ramp they would use to connect the platform to the shore,

Scaffolding bridge perhaps?

such as

There is a gangway on board the searaiser which could be used.

when this was first posted I thought that someone had photoshopped an image onto a photo

but No actually there on the wall

post-22449-0-13343800-1410289608_thumb.jpg

it looks familiar? 

sure I have seen it before , or something very similar

interesting detail, not noticed till I looked at it on screen 

the left hand looks to be a charicature of a face?

post-22449-0-75412300-1410291283.jpg

was Banksie in Dawlish??

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure that the sea wall repair gang made repairs to the base of the sea wall where damage existed. So we may well find that wave action in those areas causes problems. 

If you mean along at Sea Lawn Terrace, then the foundations of the wall were not damaged at all, which is actually a testament to my (now retired) colleague who thought of the deep toe protection that was put in 15 years ago or so (solid concrete).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

such as

That's why you need the facts, not speculation! The second jacking barge is either on it's way from the Netherlands or about to leave. The one in position is a 250 tonner, the second one will be a 300 tonner.

• RMweb Gold

presumably network rail can see it real-time, maybe they could turn it so we can see the rig :)

I don't think that anyone watches it real time for operational or engineering purposes, unlike the webcam that is now pay-as-you-go, which was very useful when it was free, for viewing from home.

Edit - the webcam is actually clamped to someone's balcony in Riviera Terrace, so I don't know how easy it would be to move it. I might enquire, though, as watching the barges at work could be quite a diversion.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3

I don't think that anyone watches it real time for operational or engineering purposes, unlike the webcam that is now pay-as-you-go, which was very useful when it was free, for viewing from home.

Edit - the webcam is actually clamped to someone's balcony in Riviera Terrace, so I don't know how easy it would be to move it. I might enquire, though, as watching the barges at work could be quite a diversion.

But maybe when the second barge is in position,

which one assumes will be to the south of the first one

that one may be in camera view