Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

Im not entirely sure how often Don. I was on an HST some years ago that done the same.

I would imagine that the Voyager could have been running late and missed its path and to avoid making it later by following the 143 under restrictive aspects all the way to Newton, the signaller crossed it over to pass the 143.

Its a clever way of increasing capacity, letting a late train gain some time or indeed to prevent making a train late!

Should do, it's definitely there!

I'm viewing this on a different computer to the one I originally posted it on and there is definitely a picture of a chopper.

Keith

Edit: Anybody else not seeing it?

Well here's a screen grab reduced to 50% size to get the whole page in one shot

big hole in middle but no photo

so dont know what happened there!

post-22449-0-25390500-1399070088_thumb.jpg

at 18.02.45 on webcam

comes DOWN

the UP LINE

BUT how often does this occur??

Not sure how often this happens, but it's something that has been used more for the last year or so.  There are various videos on YouTube showing it happening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvHugRHo-To

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP79AwLFfZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ghA6zWKUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH8ZfgyhMZo

• RMweb Premium

That 'signalling indicator' glitch on the tracker may have been because of the signaller doing the down on the up if you get my drift? Creative signalling though but a bit disconcerting for the driver maybe?

P

• RMweb Premium

That 'signalling indicator' glitch on the tracker may have been because of the signaller doing the down on the up if you get my drift? Creative signalling though but a bit disconcerting for the driver maybe?

P

The signalling is designed for it, the driver should be trained for it. So I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem.

I assume the XC driver would have been informed before crossing over at the Warren.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Well here's a screen grab reduced to 50% size to get the whole page in one shot

big hole in middle but no photo

so dont know what happened there!

attachicon.gifA Post 1.jpg

I think it must be something to do with your computer as I have tried a third computer and was viewing RMWeb as a guest.

The picture of the chopper was definitely there!

Keith

Edit: all PCs were W7 64 bit with Firefox Browser.

Edited by melmerby

For some time I have been suspicious that the train tracker and dawlish beach camera are not in sync, even since last weekends engineering work.  The tracker appears to be ahead of the camera, so I wonder if the camera is delayed for some reason?

What do you think?

I think it must be something to do with your computer as I have tried a third computer and was viewing RMWeb as a guest.

The picture of the chopper was definitely there!

Keith

Edit: all PCs were W7 64 bit with Firefox Browser.

still on XP, would that make any difference? 

Is strikes me that in the weeks that I've been watching the live cam that I haven't seen a freight train of any description.

There has been some freight passed the webcam since April 4th, including light locos and Network Rail trains. 

Don't forget to check here if you want to plan to see something: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/DWL?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Monday's planned workings, but this doesn't mean they will run: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/DWL/2014/05/05/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

Edited by BR(S)

• RMweb Gold

Is strikes me that in the weeks that I've been watching the live cam that I haven't seen a freight train of any description.

They are there, not too many, to be sure, and some of these run at night. One day time freight is the timber train for Heathfield, which usually goes down at lunchtime/early afternoon on a Weds and returns approx 24 hours later.

• RMweb Gold

Im not entirely sure how often Don. I was on an HST some years ago that done the same.

I would imagine that the Voyager could have been running late and missed its path and to avoid making it later by following the 143 under restrictive aspects all the way to Newton, the signaller crossed it over to pass the 143.

Its a clever way of increasing capacity, letting a late train gain some time or indeed to prevent making a train late!

Gary is right here. The Reversible facility was originally installed for emergencies and in connection with planned engineering works. Approx 2 years ago, discussions took place between ourselves and the local TOCs regarding using the reversible facility to improve train performance and punctuality, so it's only used when something is running out of course, and the signaller can improve punctuality by sending a train via the reversible. As a result of the way this facility was introduced, it's not necessary to inform drivers at Dawlish Warren any longer, unless something else calls for this.

In order to ensure that station platforming at Dawlish and Teignmouth isn't upset (resulting in passengers potentially being on the wrong side for their stopper), you will often find that it's the fast (non-stop) train that takes the Reversible, travelling over it at the maximum permitted speed in the Wrong Direction of 50 mph.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I arrived at Newton Abbott wrong road in the down direction last year, but Virgin's crew were up to speed and there was really good announcing well before we stopped.

I'm always delighted to see such facilities being used. I wonder how much of the business that was lost in the 50s and 60s to road transport might have been saved if such facilities and operational versatility had been available to the staff of those days, improving performance?

• Like 1

I wish someone would either list or have a link to the destination codes for this region. Those on Live Train Tracker are for the (North West Coast route). Would be nice to know where the trains have come from and are going to 

I wish someone would either list or have a link to the destination codes for this region. Those on Live Train Tracker are for the (North West Coast route). Would be nice to know where the trains have come from and are going to 

Have you changed the TOC from  All to XC (Cross Country) - that will give a similar effect