Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

As there are now both orange and yellow jackets in evidence, is the Orange Army becoming the St Clement's Army? :)

I used to know a decent sort of chap whose real name was G.Roan (Gordon). He might have a place here.....

I would have thought by now we would have most of the utilities in some form of common conduit, I guess Gas should be kept separate and water used the soil an an insulator so I may be answering my own question, but surely we could have a better system than what seems haphazard run of differing trenches.

The red lines seem to indicate the black pipe laid earlier 

• RMweb Premium

Modern practice is to use common trenches and conduits as far as possible. I managed the archaeological fieldwork for widening a main urban road and everything went down one trench with the sewers at the bottom and some services grouped in one conduit (electrics, telecomms and CATV I think). I didn't pay much attention to what went where on the drawings as I was only concerned with where the trench went and how deep and wide. If I was still at work I could look up the old file.

Pete

Modern practice is to use common trenches and conduits as far as possible. I managed the archaeological fieldwork for widening a main urban road and everything went down one trench with the sewers at the bottom and some services grouped in one conduit (electrics, telecomms and CATV I think). I didn't pay much attention to what went where on the drawings as I was only concerned with where the trench went and how deep and wide. If I was still at work I could look up the old file.

Pete

Good to hear this is modern practice.

Not sure it is in Nottingham where today David Cameron will visit the ongoing tram construction.  I think he will find the timescale somewhat different to the Dawlish restoration...

Not sure it is in Nottingham where today David Cameron will visit the ongoing tram construction.  I think he will find the timescale somewhat different to the Dawlish restoration...

Still going very much better than Edinburgh though!

• RMweb Premium

I thought modern practice was to lay new tarmac and then let each service dig their own trench

There was an occasion in Brum a while back when a section of road (about a quarter of mile long) was getting a well needed full resurface including removing all the old tarmac etc.

Once they had finished about a 100yds of nice new surface someone started digging a trench to lay services and then followed the road surfacing gang down the road!

Madness or what?

(they are supposed to communicate with each other)

Keith

Over the Bank Holiday weekend no Orange army to be seen

But was a few 'bits' of plant awaiting next turn of duty

( technical terms again)

seen at Dawlish Warren

post-22449-0-65956700-1398178369_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-15749600-1398178392_thumb.jpg

Also seen on BH Monday

Dawlish town

Someone stretching the expenses a bit??     :offtopic:

post-22449-0-96120600-1398178691_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

No activity on the webcam yet

but just came thro Dawlish

traffic lights back in place

dumpers on lorries seen

tarmac lorries seen

Maybe going elsewhere?

nothing parked in the traffic lights receiving area

sea Calm, very

Saw a trailer wagon coming up from the Warren today with 4 short sections of sleepered track on it.