Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

And spreading

attachicon.gif14 Aprl NWRPic 11.04 .jpg

The stuff the digger is standing on looks like scalpings of some sort but it seems not to be spearated from the more readily draining material up against the concrete sections (unless the geotex is between the two?).  Although it is only a side road I would have expected most of the material beneath it to be compressed scalpings as they tend to be cheap - if there are any quarries in the vicinity - and make a good solid surface but it is normally about as near impermeable as concrete and needs a barrier between it and the material used to provide drainage.

That said overall it looks as if the residents are going to get a fairly high quality bit of roadway out of their misfortune - not that it is an event they would have wished upon themselves I'm sure.

The stuff the digger is standing on looks like scalpings of some sort but it seems not to be spearated from the more readily draining material up against the concrete sections (unless the geotex is between the two?).  Although it is only a side road I would have expected most of the material beneath it to be compressed scalpings as they tend to be cheap - if there are any quarries in the vicinity - and make a good solid surface but it is normally about as near impermeable as concrete and needs a barrier between it and the material used to provide drainage.

That said overall it looks as if the residents are going to get a fairly high quality bit of roadway out of their misfortune - not that it is an event they would have wished upon themselves I'm sure.

Scalpings, thats the word,

I knew I knew it, but I had forgotten it,

after all its only 40  years since I tipped a load of scalpings!!

yes there is the white geo between the wall and the scalpings

and between them & the 3/4 chippings

probably not easy to see if anyone has a 19"? monitor

But I am spoilt with a wide screen 43"? screen that shows a lot of detail

although my photo prog  Jasc Paint Shop does get pixilatted if I blow it up too large

and some on here have obviously got a better,  more up to date prog that can show even more detail

• RMweb Premium

Scalpings, thats the word,

I knew I knew it, but I had forgotten it,

after all its only 40  years since I tipped a load of scalpings!!

yes there is the white geo between the wall and the scalpings

and between them & the 3/4 chippings

probably not easy to see if anyone has a 19"? monitor

But I am spoilt with a wide screen 43"? screen that shows a lot of detail

although my photo prog  Jasc Paint Shop does get pixilatted if I blow it up too large

and some on here have obviously got a better,  more up to date prog that can show even more detail

They must have cheap scalpings down south, up here in the north scalpings are a high value item from scraping tarmac when road planing. The 'scalpings' look like what we used to call quarry bottoms up in the dales.  however i agree the residents are getting a much better roadway than the one based on sand fill that was washed out.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

They must have cheap scalpings down south, up here in the north scalpings are a high value item from scraping tarmac when road planing. The 'scalpings' look like what we used to call quarry bottoms up in the dales.  however i agree the residents are getting a much better roadway than the one based on sand fill that was washed out.

Jamie

Scalpings is a name covering a multitude of materials according to what i was told a while back.  Some of it is basically crushed and graded hardcore while some is effectively quarry waste material which contains a mix of soil and what amounts to crushed rock - and because it is waste it can be very cheap - Foster Yeoman used to send out trainloads of teh stuff to various motorway construction sites.

Mnay years ago in our previous house I needed to build up the - sloping - drive and asked  a pal in the quarry business if they could drop off around a ton of the stuff from their local depot?  I finished up with 5 tons (gratis of course) and spent the next 20 years trying to get rid of it but it made a superb base for concrete strip 'runways' and. later, as a sub base under block paviors.

• RMweb Premium

Having worked alongside the construction industry on archaeological projects I had to cope with different terminologies for the same things. This was complicated by a colleague who had previously worked in construction and struggled with the correct terms for archaeological recording, which has to be precise, even for recent/modern deposits encountered.. He persistently recorded stone chippings (DoT Type 1 stone) as "scalpings" and the local natural gravel as "hoggin".  It made very good hoggin but in situ was natural geology.

The stone being used for the new fill appears (in the screenshots) to be local red sandstone. Presumably its softness won't be an issue if it's thoroughly compacted.

Pete

Has any decision been made on raising the footpath to the same level as the rest of the path,  once the metal containers are cut up & their contents removed?

Way back in this thread Captain Kernow said that the works currently would be for reinstatement - which leaves the footpath at the pre-washout level. It will need further discussions (local authority etc) to change the appearance by raising the footpath, although this would be a very sensible option to strengthen the wall against future weather attacks.

Edited by Coombe Barton

Having worked alongside the construction industry on archaeological projects I had to cope with different terminologies for the same things. This was complicated by a colleague who had previously worked in construction and struggled with the correct terms for archaeological recording, which has to be precise, even for recent/modern deposits encountered.. He persistently recorded stone chippings (DoT Type 1 stone) as "scalpings" and the local natural gravel as "hoggin".  It made very good hoggin but in situ was natural geology.

The stone being used for the new fill appears (in the screenshots) to be local red sandstone. Presumably its softness won't be an issue if it's thoroughly compacted.

Pete

the lorries carrying the red stuff ( index 4.21,, ref 365/12 sub section14/7)  :jester:

were this morning coming into Dawlish from the Exeter direction

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget that one of the early functions of this infil material is to form a temporary roadway, so that all the residents with trapped vehicles have the option of getting them out onto the main road or wherever. The rest of the permanent roadway repair and surfacing will then take place. This is all going according to timetable at the moment.

As regards the suggested raising of the public walkway to the higher level, I can advise that there are no plans for this at this time. The plan is to reinstate the wall to give the same appearance as before. Any issues that alter the appearance of the Sea Wall from it's historic 'look' will, I understand, form part of the on-going resilience debate.

In the meantime, there should be no concerns on anyones part that the maintaining of the walkway at the lower level could somehow compromise the integrity of the wall in the future. Don't forget how many thousands of tons of concrete now form the wall at this point, quite unlike the situation before the February storms.

somebody's hi vis vest/jacket blown off the wall onto the down track?

thought it was just a lens reflection at first

but compared with previous pic it has moved closer to the rail

theres a real sneaky easterly  wind  this am,

choppy seas

Black bucket signifies small works????

post-22449-0-73656100-1397546642_thumb.jpg

NOTE;-

the times that go with the photos

are the time I captured the web cam image

which means the update could have been

(usually, unless the cam has stuck, which is quite rare)

any time in the previous 15 or so minutes

Quite a few replies back I thought someone said that the utilities would be restored, is that still the case. Or are they still too low ?

I think, as has also been said, the sequence is first to complete the roadway infill to the point that it can be used to free trapped vehicles, then allow the utilities to dive in.

I don't think they can really cope with installing in fresh air.

I think, as has also been said, the sequence is first to complete the roadway infill to the point that it can be used to free trapped vehicles, then allow the utilities to dive in.

I don't think they can really cope with installing in fresh air.

From what I observed working in plant hire in the 60s

(& I expect practices & technology has progressed)

in the context of road building 

I dont think you can lay pipes cables etc, on a flat surface 

then lay & compact your top surfaces after, as they would move & get deformed

whereas 

if you put down the consequetive layes, compacting each one 

to get a solid foundation

you can then dig your trench

& the compacted trench sides protect the utilies from movement

& pipe gravel/sand etc & infill can be more carefully compacted

as needed for the particular service being installed

(now laying pipe with a mole is another thing altogether)