Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

We have an on-going programme to completely restore the road over the next week or so. All the works and timescales have been agreed at one of our regular meetings with the residents, and they are all happy with the programme. Apart from the restoration of utility services, we are undertaking all this work. I'm not currently aware of the individual details of the work programme, but things are 'on target' to meet the date agreed with the residents and local authority.

We have an on-going programme to completely restore the road over the next week or so. All the works and timescales have been agreed at one of our regular meetings with the residents, and they are all happy with the programme.

Who pays for this kind of thing?  Is it Network Rail/local authority or is there an element for the homeowners and their insurers?  Presumably extent of land ownership and liabilities would show up in the searches when they bought their houses.

• RMweb Premium

The liability for repair probably falls on NR because it was their infrastructure that failed, so  the local authority, utility companies and house insurers may have passed the responsibilty for reinstatement onto NR. That's how I see it; I know councils will aim to recover repair costs where highway damage is due to another party. Maybe CK can enlighten us in time.

Pete

The liability for repair probably falls on NR because it was their infrastructure that failed, so  the local authority, utility companies and house insurers may have passed the responsibilty for reinstatement onto NR. That's how I see it; I know councils will aim to recover repair costs where highway damage is due to another party. Maybe CK can enlighten us in time.

Pete

I really don't think that this should or can be aired here as the liability of various parties is probably both commercially confidential and subject to possible legal responsibility.

The job's being done by NR so waiting for the final official reports may be best.

• RMweb Gold

I really don't think that this should or can be aired here as the liability of various parties is probably both commercially confidential and subject to possible legal responsibility.

The job's being done by NR so waiting for the final official reports may be best.

In all honesty, I don't know whether there are any moves for parties other than NR to refund the costs of this work, nor would I be able to divulge that, were I to know. In the first instance, however, NR is funding all these works, apart from the utilities. The current work is to provide a temporary road surface, so that the trapped vehicles can be freed, then utilities will be laid (by the utility companies) and then we will finish the road surface off.

• RMweb Gold

ooh!

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

checking the track ready for an increase in speed?

Bit premature, in fact. There will be a spate tamp the week after next, then the speed will be removed (NMT not required for that). This NMT run will be a standard, pre-planned monitoring/compliance trip.

And I thought it was a Swedish Mail Train  photoshopped

Clarification for Lifeboatman

I had this in mind

post-22449-0-84802300-1397286385.jpg

Pic courtesy of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posten_AB

and the cab looked somehow vaguely European to me

I thought some clever person had used a photo programme

to add it to the Dawlish line

(  before I saw the second pic )

• Like 1

clean stone? added to gap between shuttering & "L" castings wall ?

for soakaway? or not?

now looks like geo sheet over far end so can't see whats under

We'll probably see better when they get nearer the camera, but I think they may be lining the trench they formed yesterday with the geotextile. Now some black flexible pipe has appeared, which may well be heading for that space.

I'd guess pipe in the bottom, add free draining gravel, fold the textile to wrap over the top

Love it when threads get technical.  :jester:

Off Topic - my son's girlfriend went for a part-time job interview which would involve entertaining kids at an entertainment venue. She was asked "Can you make balloon animals"; she replied "Yes, snakes". She got the job.

• Like 3